Buying a 2001 4Runner LTD Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's the 3.4L timing belt engine, very easy on oil. Ime and imo, any 5w30 or 5w20 synthetic will work quite nicely. That includes but not limited to, ST Synthetic, QSUD, and Havoline Pro DS box to name a few.

Curios what your OM recommends? My old Tacoma 3.4L V6 (same engine?) says 5W30 or 10W30 and doesn't like syn-blend. It does well with 10W30 dino ...

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Curios what your OM recommends? My old Tacoma 3.4L V6 (same engine?) says 5W30 or 10W30 and doesn't like syn-blend. It does well with 10W30 dino ...

5w-30 every 5,000 miles, doesn't specify synthetic

I recently sold my '97 4Runner with the 5VZ-FE (3.4) engine. Except during the break-in period, it ran on synthetic (usually Mobil 1) 5w30 or 10w30 as long as I owned it. No issues.

10W30 Maxlife. Do not put a 5W nor a synthetic in the engine at 250K if it has not been run with it for some time. Run the Maxlife to 5K with a Mobil One M1-209 oversized filter. Leave the filter on for three oil changes. This combo has served me well over the course of several hundred thousand miles on the Toyota 3.4.

I think we need a Tacoma/ T4R showcase thread. I'd like to see all these old tacomas still driving around! Mine has 235k miles

5W-30 or 10W-30 depending on the weather and a 3614/51348/90915-YZZB5 filter(an FL400s/3600/51516 will also fit space-dependent), a 5VZ-FE isn't going to complain.

FWIW, I ran a 1UZ-FE up until 297K with no issues on a non-HM 5W-30 and OEM filters. Running out of oil or not changing it enough is a bigger threat to a Toyota engine than oil and filter choice.

I'm running 10W-30 PP HM in mine with stock OEM filter. I flop between Pennzoil and Quaker State. Valve cover gasket was leaking a little so that's why I'm using the HM. Probably won't matter either way.

I've run 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40.

Years ago I might have been afraid to change from conventional to synthetic oil on a car with a lot of miles. I don't feel that way anymore because most oils they call "synthetic" aren't really true "synthetic."

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain

Not leaking oil

Suggestions for oil?

You said it doesnt leak oil..that doesnt mean it doesnt consume oil...

I would start out with Walmart or Costco or whatever 10w30 is the cheapest and monitor consumption before going with a higher cost oil.

Im sure you have looked it over nicely.. have you started it while cold does it smoke? Have you Pulled PCV while hot to see if it has blowby? Tailpipe soot?

Long test drive with multiple stops for CELs?

She's got a few miles on her!

I assume your location is correct, so this is a southern truck? If so, it should suit you well. 10w-30 should, as well, and at that mileage I'd just use conventional with a good filter. Plus, the A340E is a great transmission. Sounds like a solid truck, if the price was right!

Originally Posted by nickaluch
Does buying a truck with 250k concern anyone but me?

Not all all. See my signature
smile.gif

I couldn't do it. Even a hallowed Toyota at 19 years old and 250k is going to nickel and dime. OK if you expect it and have something else to drive. Good luck with it!

Up here in MN? Absolutely. A clean, maintained, rust-free southern truck? No. A Toyota, that is. These things really only disappeared because they rusted off their frames in winter climates. Down south, no worries. As long as you keep up on the maintenance that thing will run for 500k, or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back