Replace or keep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2020 Kia Forte GT and it came with the option Michelin Pilot Sport 4 225/40/18 tires. I live in the PNW and it rarely gets below freezing during winter. We do have the occasional cold weather and snow and ice. My dilemma is should I keep these tires on and hope for warmer weather the next few months and then enjoy them the the rest of the year? Or do I replace them now and spend another $800 for a good all-season?

I usually buy new tires right away on my past cars because the crappy LRR tires the auto manufactures install don't cut it for me when it comes to handling and rain performance. This is the first time a really decent tire has come on my car and seeing it's a high performance summer, I don't want want to buy a new set but will always wonder how unsafe these tires will be below 45 degrees?

If you found a spare set of wheels to put the all seasons or winter dedicated tires on then I'd spend the money on the tires.

Now assuming you would not get ice or snow for the rest of the season then the PS4 will work fine as long as you don't drive hard. The PSS's could become frightening if you pushed it too hard in the cold. Otherwise play it safe and buy some new tires and put the PS4s back in the summer.

Last edited:
I would say keep them. If the road is dry, the temperature outside doesn't matter. Yes All seasons will handle better in Ice and Snow, but since it rarely snows or freezes, you won't see the benefit.

If anything, just don't drive when it snows or it's freezing outside.

You won't notice much difference down to about freezing or even a bit below. They will lose some grip, but driven moderately, you won't have a problem.

However, if it does actually snow, the tires will be beyond TERRIBLE, as in crazy carpet bad. Max performance SUMMER tires have near ZERO grip on snow and ice.

I would try and swap them for something like a Michelin Pilot A/S 3, or similar. You get 95 % + of the dry/wet road performance, but with a bit of a safety cushion if it snows. They won't be great in winter conditions, but will be drivable. Pilot Sport 4's won't be.

Since its new, i'd get a set of steel wheels and get a couple of snow tires for the front, unless its AWD. They will last a long time using them once or twice a year. That way you can get your moneys worth out of your existing tires, yet be safer in a bit of snow.

No. Having different snow traction on a front axle vs. rear is begging for spinning out of control in snow when turning. Having the same tires front and back is essential, even if it's crappy summers. We have snow 6 months of the year and that is a recipe for disaster.

Note: I learned to drive in the snow at 14yo in 1985 on a 1971 dodge coronet station wagon with studded winter tires on the drive axle(rear) and summer tires on the front. It was complete garbage and would understeer in a ridiculous way. You would need to kick the rear end out just to complete the turn.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Since its new, i'd get a set of steel wheels and get a couple of snow tires for the front, unless its AWD. They will last a long time using them once or twice a year. That way you can get your moneys worth out of your existing tires, yet be safer in a bit of snow.

Originally Posted by Finklejag
I usually buy new tires right away on my past cars because the crappy LRR tires the auto manufactures install don't cut it for me when it comes to handling and rain performance.

Really? Seems like such a waste of money. Maybe buy a car that already has the kind of tires you prefer? In these litigious times, I find it incomprehensible a car manufacturer would sell a new car with inferior tires.

These tires have a UTQG of 320 and reviews I read is that they last any where from 10K to 20K only. I decided to keep them on and probably replace them next winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back