Home window security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, we've had a few break-ins in the neighborhood, people coming through ground floor Windows. my house is 15 years old, we have double hung verical windows throughout. I'm doing some research online to see how the secure the windows, looks like there are people who will drill a hole through both frames and put a pin through it which locks both windows in place.
my question is, my window frames are all plastic? fiberglass? can I secure the windows with this pin the method or will the whole frame crack?

Probably the only easy way to keep criminals out is window bars and/or a security system. Or a big
mean dog

I've been watching DEFCON/Blackhat conference video's lately, and there were a few about physical security that really opened my eyes. If you're worried about them forcing it open, a piece of wood or a small diameter metal pipe to prevent it from opening would work great. If you're worrying about them shattering it to gain access, you could use a protective film. The film won't stop them from shattering your window or gaining access, but it does make it much much harder.

Your don't have a lot of options with vinyl/fibergalss frames because there is no strength but I would use a thick wood dowel on each side towards the tracks. I wouldn't drill into those frames and that would likely void any warranties. Look into a monitored- wireless security system as well. If those windows are basement ones near the ground, you may want to consider glass block windows.

Last edited:
Google the words "vertical" + "window" + "lock".. you'll get numerous ideas. They make contraptions that prevent kid's from sliding the window up and falling out, essentially serving the same purpose. You might also consider investing in a home security system like SimpliSafe or Xfinity or ADT which has/have window monitors for vibration and breakage. Most homeowners insurance will even give you a discount on your premium if you have a system installed.

Or get a big dog. When I had my AmStaff Max (he's since passed) I never worried about someone breaking in. That would have been a huge mistake by someone..
lol.gif

Fwiw...my Alexa enabled Echo device "listens" for glass breakage, smoke/carbon detector and can send instant messages/texts to my mobile and/or alert the authorities.

Last edited:
Makes no sense to secure your windows with too much effort.
All it takes is a rock to smash the glass out.

if you really want a deterrent, then security system is your only option.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
I've been watching DEFCON/Blackhat conference video's lately, and there were a few about physical security that really opened my eyes. If you're worried about them forcing it open, a piece of wood or a small diameter metal pipe to prevent it from opening would work great.

That's my thought, as is making good with the neighbors so that ya'll are listening to each other's houses.

When I lived in an apartment in a bad neighborhood that had two sliding glass doors and a few windows, I used wood to jam them shut.

Now I have a German Shepherd who growls, shows her teeth, and sticks her heckles up anytime someone comes near the house.

As long as they don't get near her we're okay. Once someone new gets within 3 feet of her, she goes from attack dog to licking and tail wagging.

Originally Posted by alarmguy

Not if you have storm windows and an alarm. Having said that storm windows can be expensive

All good suggestions. On an additional note, here in Florida we are kind of lucky since most Codes for replacement windows require hurricane rated shatterproof glass. In practice, this ends up being triple pane with a laminated inner pane for insulated windows.

Videos show people trying to break in to no avail. Fire departments here carry chain saws in order to gain entry, and of course extra safety equipment for the operator.

Something to think about if you are worried about breakage.

Lots of outdoor lighting according to the police along with barking dogs, cars in driveway and some of the other tips above.

Originally Posted by Blueskies123

Not if you have storm windows and an alarm. Having said that storm windows can be expensive

Glass is glass and the OP clearly is not thinking about installing hurricane type window, alarm is the only solution other then metal bars on the windows.
Once you have the metal bars on the windows, all one has to do is open up the door to the house. takes less then 30 ( more like 12) seconds to open the a standard locked door. More or less, there are endless ways to break into the standard home.

Quite honestly, people who have broken into homes before find it much easier to simply kick the door in, why bother getting all that messy glass out of the way :eek:) Less experienced will try the windows though because they dont know how easy it is to open a locked door.

The next one is another good one, your electric garage door. Most people do not lock the door from the garage that goes into the house because they have an electric garage door that no one can open without the code to the keypad or a remote control right?

Wrong, to open an automatic garage door takes someone who has practiced about 15 seconds and is even more easy then going through a window or door! :eek:)
Simply get a coat hanger, slip it into the garage, pull on the escape cord, lift up door.
(google opening an automatic garage door with a coat hanger)
or click here, this person does it in 6 seconds ...
https://youtu.be/CMz1tXBVT1s

and why ... a good security system is the most effective and least expensive way your secure a home.
... as I mentioned before, a good security system is definitely not Simply Safe but it is better then nothing. To defeat Simply safe, once a thief breaks into a home, all he/she needs to do is pick up the simply safe "cone" shown in all their ads of the home you are breaking into and throw it in the refrigerator, this will block the unit from sending out its alarm signal to central station. The refrigerator blocks the cell signal because of its metal walls. You can test this out with your own cell phone.

Last edited:
Metal bars are a great deterrent but check your local codes first. If they do allow bars on the windows it's a good idea to be able to open them from the inside for egress in case of fire.

Glass is glass and the OP clearly is not thinking about installing hurricane type window

Agree, but only to a point. Impact-rated windows will survive at least one direct impact from something like an 8' 2x4 traveling 80+ mph; you can find videos of people taking metal yard chairs and literally almost ripping their own arms off when the chair bounces off of it. Sure, if may still be glass, but it will certainly stop someone long enough for the alarm to get the cops on the way, plus likely result in a homeowners' policy discount. Bars on the windows probably won't, because of the increased risk to the lives of the occupants in case of emergency.

Not all thieves have a brain, but the ones that do would simply kick in one of the doors to the house or break the window frame not the glass and in the real world no one will be replacing their windows and sliding doors with hurricane glass.
Most people dont even invest in a cheap alarm system for a few hundred to a few thousand dollars which is guaranteed to make people aware of a break in.

Most people dont even invest in a cheap alarm system for a few hundred to a few thousand dollars which is guaranteed to make people aware of a break in.

Why would I buy a system? I'm not sure my neighbors would hear an alarm going off... and as a rule I only own cheap stuff.

Originally Posted by supton

Why would I buy a system? I'm not sure my neighbors would hear an alarm going off... and as a rule I only own cheap stuff.

Why would you buy hurricane glass? that's not cheap either.
This thread is about protecting a home btw *L*
Im only suggesting, get a device to call the police if your home gets broken into rather then to try to out think an experienced burglar with really expensive and inexpensive solutions, there are none, and alarm is the only way to make sure they dont spend the whole day in your home and rip the walls down or worse, at you when you or a loved one comes home and they are still in the home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back