Milky Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I thought blown head gasket, but I am not sure.

What are your thoughts on this?

- 2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI
- About 10 hours on oil since last oil/filter change
- Shell Rotella T6 5w40
- Oil on dipstick is perfect gold color
- Milky substance is only on top of dipstick/oil fill tube (the pic of it on the bottom of dipstick is when I used to wipe it from the oil fill tube)
- Ran it for about an hour last night (snow plowing in 20 degree temps)
- Machine runs great, no issues
- Engine hot, exhaust hot, radiator hot, engine oil tank hot, top of dipstick and oil fill tube COLD
- Milky substance is cold

Pics below:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Looks like the breather isn't breathing enough- but condensate on a 710 cap is normal in sub freezing weather

Lots of WATER is the by product of combustion.

You are making mainly H20 an C02 ( along with other nasties)
burning fossil fuels.

Last edited:
Most likely normal condensation, especially if the engine was running for short periods of time in cold weather.

You need to get the vehicle out on the highway and drive it at posted speed for about an hour or so to boil off combustion products that have accumulated in engine due to engine oil never getting hot enough to boil off those products. RUN IT.

Looks normal. While I do not have your said vehicle, I have seen that condensate on just about every winter driven vehicle I own. As stated, check any crank case vent to ensure they are not plugged.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
You need to get the vehicle out on the highway and drive it at posted speed for about an hour or so to boil off combustion products that have accumulated in engine due to engine oil never getting hot enough to boil off those products. RUN IT.

probably not the best idea

2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI

Normal

My Tacoma does the same thing in the winter, (4 ltr. V6.) Oil cap or in your case dipstick is at a cooler part of the engine away from the more directly heated parts. of the hotter engine.

Cure ? Go for longer rides and get the engine temp up , get on the Hwy for 30 to 40 minutes a couple times a week , Problem solved.

The engine is hot by your description but not hot enough to evaporate the condensation that is developing.

I'm guessing that this doesn't happen in the Summer. Right!

Convert
Tom

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Taste it...

33.gif

Ho boy....

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by Chris142
Taste it...

33.gif

Ho boy....

Yea, don't taste anything not meant for human consumption.

Also, on a related note: having chemicals all up in your skin and fingernails does not make you any manlier. 9 mil gloves at Harbor Freight are nearly indestructible and dirt cheap. When I was a cadet, I remember learning to use gloves on my second ship, a tanker, from an engineer who was looked down upon and made fun of for wearing proper PPE, including gloves, while working on lube oil and other chemicals. When I shipped out on my first real ship I remember being made fun of for asking for proper PPE; in one situation, I was given a dust mask instead of a proper filter and ventilation for a particularly nasty job. I found a shore-side job IMMEDIATELY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back