Techron vs B12 Chemtool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen quite a bit of conflicting information on here as to what the difference and benefits are to either. Some say that B-12 is better because it's more solvent based, and the same for Techron because of PEA. The only thing that glares out to me is the price difference. $3.97 for 15oz of the B-12 and ~$5 for 10oz of Techron at WM. Would any of you be able to enlighten me on either? Thanks.

B12 is a great carbon remover when used on loose engine parts.
As far as injection system cleaner, Liquimoly Jectron is the stuff that delivers results.
Now that I failed to answer your question, I run away.

Just my opinion, but b-12 is great for gum varnish Injector internals,etc as it is a solvent. The Techron has PEA and some stoddard solvents so its better at carbon removal.

I use both separately before an oil change. A tank of b-12 then a tank of techron, then the oil change.

PEA is the only cleaner additive that works in real life. If it doesn't have it, or if it has less of it....price and value it accordingly.

There is a reason why PEA is the best. It cleans efficiently with out leaving residue behind.

Originally Posted by PantherFan88
I've seen quite a bit of conflicting information on here as to what the difference and benefits are to either. Some say that B-12 is better because it's more solvent based, and the same for Techron because of PEA. The only thing that glares out to me is the price difference. $3.97 for 15oz of the B-12 and ~$5 for 10oz of Techron at WM. Would any of you be able to enlighten me on either? Thanks.

What is the application of the product?

If it's as a fuel additive poured into your gas tank, the Techron/Regane/PEA additives will clean up what is left behind by running cheap gas (read: non-TT) - carbon in the CCs. But then again, running TT gas the majority of the time will leave the CCs in such a state so as to make the usage of the Techron/Gumout/PEA additives unnecessary.

Using the B-12 as a fuel additive will not have the same effects. It may clean other parts of the fuel system of varnish and such, but it will not remove carbon deposits from the CCs like the PEA chemicals will.

The B12 info that i have seen/read is that it flashes off quickly. When used as a dip it didnt do much as far as cleaning..perhaps it acts differently when heated.

I like Redline Si-1 because it has PEA and Upper Cylinder Lubricant.

If you are after hard carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, you will likely have to use a Combustion Chamber Cleaner, or a Berryman ChemDip soak.

B12 will not work inside a running combustion chamber, it will burn off before doing anything. It would probably work great for piston soaks, and I've heard of it used for injector cleaning but IIRC that's off-label usage.

PEA will help eliminate carbon buildup on the valve faces, combustion chamber, and piston top while running and is the only chemical proven to work in combustion temperature ranges.

So I'd suppose that if you wanted to cover all your bases, you'd have to use both of them.... but I'd argue that if you use top-tier gas and slightly more than occasionally go WOT for at least 2-3 gears worth of acceleration, you're only going to be burning money for little to no benefit by using additives. If the injectors are clean, and the pistons aren't so carboned up that you're experiencing pre-ignition, there's just not much additional benefit to having the combustion chamber super clean. Save your money for other things, IMO.

Originally Posted by vw7674
As far as injection system cleaner, Liquimoly Jectron is the stuff that delivers results.

Please point us in the direction of some info on Jectron...it hasn't been mentioned on this forum in a long time and there is really no posts on this forum that gives it a ringing endorsement.
So, i'm legitimately curious. There are probably good products coming out of Europe, but i'm not sure it matters when PEA is readily available.

Back to the OP, my vote is for Techron.

Originally Posted by Davejam
Originally Posted by vw7674

Please point us in the direction of some info on Jectron...it hasn't been mentioned on this forum in a long time and there is really no posts on this forum that gives it a ringing endorsement.
So, i'm legitimately curious. There are probably good products coming out of Europe, but i'm not sure it matters when PEA is readily available.

Back to the OP, my vote is for Techron.

I've witnessed both B12, Techron & Jectron improve idle quality & throttle response in carbed & fuel injected engines, modern & near-modern equipment,
but European independent shops usually carry the full Liquimoly lineup of elixirs, from de-carbonizers for in-tank use to engine flush. The Jectron fuel system cleaner is a stand out as far as cleansing the lines, injectors & cylinder. Is it worth chasing down versus B12 or Techron? Probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back