The Factory Fill Boogieman in the Flesh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I hate to say it but I've witnessed the Boogieman and caught his tail on camera. Dumping the factory fill on my 2019 Honda Monkey at 500 miles when something dropped out of the crankcase.

Obviously a aluminum chip from a machining process. This engine only had a centrifugal oil filter that is supposed to be serviced every 3-5k miles ( can't remember)

But maybe this is why people like dropping that factory fill a little early!
cool.gif

Attached is a photo of said chip and the link is a video of the first oil drain showing it comes out of the crankcase. Don't ask why I was filming. I don't even know...

And before someone asks, no it's not a valve spring retainer.

Last edit : no I'm not concerned, the engine runs like a champ WOT for about 1000 miles now.

https://youtu.be/ykpHWu330OY

402A80F5-3433-4288-B508-5EEA28B0BCD5.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
It probably just sat in the pan never making it past the pick up screen.

I agree, it was shocking, I didn't expect to find something like that in my little Honda, but with anything mass produced, things will get missed.

Originally Posted by asleepz

I agree, it was shocking, I didn't expect to find something like that in my little Honda, but with anything mass produced, things will get missed.

Yeah, no matter how much assembly lines try to avoid it, something is bound to get past.. it's just a numbers thing. You might consider at least bringing it to the dealership attention in the off chance something develops later on.. but I'd be surprised if it did.

Last edited:
I never let my first change go that far just because what you found is not that unusual. After reading an article years ago by a top engine builder that said 90% of the engine breakin happens in the first 50 miles I started dumping the factory fill just after that. I try and make that first change with an oil that has high zinc and a new filter just incase the original had something in it that held the bypass open.

Well....its' probably not going to make it through the oil pickup screen, or the filter...

Is it ferrous? Looking at your video, it seems it falls out almost immediately. I suspect it to be some flash where the drain bolt threads were cut and sitting on top of the bolt till you removed it, but who knows. I am a fan of early oil dumps.

The first time I changed the oil filter on my Mazda, I found an irregular metal sliver of roughly that size stuck part-way through one of the filter's inlet holes. It probably had no adverse effect, other than possibly blocking the anti-drainback valve open.

This.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
How are those Monkeys to ride? I've always wanted a Z50 but the price of those Monkeys is STEEP for what they are.

They're a blast as long as you don't want to go over 60mph.

100mpg regularly running WOT.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Is it ferrous? Looking at your video, it seems it falls out almost immediately. I suspect it to be some flash where the drain bolt threads were cut and sitting on top of the bolt till you removed it, but who knows. I am a fan of early oil dumps.

The chip looks too big to be from a threading process. It looks closer to like when they machined the case halves flat.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
How are those Monkeys to ride? I've always wanted a Z50 but the price of those Monkeys is STEEP for what they are.

They're a blast as long as you don't want to go over 60mph.

100mpg regularly running WOT.

Perfect for just tooling around town... looks like a lot of fun! 🤘

Aren't the Honda Monkeys of these days made in China? I remember the old ones, they were bulletproof.....and only a little slower than the 2-stroke Suzuki PV (which were so easy to mod).....

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Aren't the Honda Monkeys of these days made in China? I remember the old ones, they were bulletproof.....and only a little slower than the 2-stroke Suzuki PV (which were so easy to mod).....

The Grom (which lends its frame and engine to the Monkey) is manufactured in Thailand, I'd assume these are produced there as well but I'm not 100% sure. I'll check my serial sticker tomorrow.

The Grom (which lends its frame and engine to the Monkey) is manufactured in Thailand, I'd assume these are produced there as well but I'm not 100% sure. I'll check my serial sticker tomorrow.

These things are very popular in many SE Asian country's. I've been to both Taiwan and Thailand and you see these bikes all over the place. They're a cheap (mpg's) people mover that are pretty durable and easy to wrench on..

The horizontal Honda engine is basically a Japanese SBC. These new ones have four speeds, fuel injection and ABS. They are better than any Z50 build could be.

I used to to big into small Hondas about a decade ago, I still have my 1981 C70 Passport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back