Hoppes Elite 9 foaming cleaner warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this from the Department today. I have never seen them issue anything like this in 30 years so I am thinking there may be something to it. Just throwing this out there fyi, I have no experience with the product either.

Hoppes 9 Elite Foaming Gun Cleaner
The Firearms Training and Tactics Section has received multiple reports of a potentially dangerous situation that could occur from the use of a popular gun cleaner. Hoppes 9 Elite Foaming Gun Cleaner has been identified by more than one Law Enforcement agency as having the potential to damage the internal mechanisms in firearms. In more than one instance the use of this product has caused the formation of a glue-like bond on the internal parts and rendered the weapon incapable of being fired. In extreme circumstances this damage has been irreversible and resulted in the weapon needing to be replaced. Members of the Firearms Training and Tactics Section have not tested this product and have no personal experience with its use as this product is not in current use by our Department. Individual members may be using this on their personally owned weapons and are urged to use caution if they decide to use it.

I never use foam cleaners. Hoppes Elite also offers a liquid pump spray that has no foam. I've used it recently.
My favorite is still Ballistol, followed by Breakfree LP lubricant or Slip 20000 EWL.

Never had anything not come clean with a good bore cleaner and/or CLP. I have no use for any foaming cleaner on a firearm.

Originally Posted by Nitronoise
Break free is the only way to go

That's what I've been using forever and it works well. I do use Hoppes #9 oil, though, but not foamy aerosol. When I was in law enforcement they warned us not to use WD-40 or other penetrating oil to clean guns because it can leach into the primers and ruin them resulting in a failure to fire.

A bit surprising but certainly plausible for polymer guns if overused. If it foams in, with who knows what kinds of solvents, plus oils, grease, powder residue, etc. it certainly seems plausible.

That said, you'd think that a company like hoppe's would be pretty well tested on any number of varieties of duty weapons. Of course, who knows if these reports are anecdotal on $250 striker fired polymer specials.

I've used Starting fluid to clean guns and it works well.
Flushed them out, removed carbon and dries fast.
Removed all the oil so gotta give em a squirt of Marvel Mystery Oil afterwards. Have to say it kinda kills me how everyone spends all this money in overpriced gun chemicals when so many are at your finger tips- cheaper that perform the task. You realize they are guns and pretty darn durable right?

Originally Posted by Panzerman
Have to say it kinda kills me.....

Breathe enough starting fluid and it may kill you.

Originally Posted by Panzerman
Flushed them out, removed carbon and dries fast.
Removed all the oil so gotta give em a squirt of Marvel Mystery Oil afterwards. Have to say it kinda kills me how everyone spends all this money in overpriced gun chemicals when so many are at your finger tips- cheaper that perform the task. You realize they are guns and pretty darn durable right?

Sure, they're durable, but a lot of chemicals can permanently mar surfaces. Especially some polymers. It's not smart to just go out to the garage and use chemicals that are designed to start an internal combustion engine and think everything is going to be ok. So what if products designed for firearm use are a little more costly. I've been shooting for over 30 years and all of mine look and perform like new except my edc.

I've seen actual gun products mess with polymer too.
I've never had a issue with my garage chemicals.
Not that I d try Chemtool or Seafoam on the, well maybe Seafoam. I've been around guns over 35-40 years.
You get enough experience with using the chemicals in the garage to know yeah, this would work good for this.
Marvel Mystery oil mixed with ATF has been the best lube I found yet for guns.
My son has run his guns including his AR through the dishwasher. Of course he is not married.

Read the cleaner labels b/4 purchase, when dealing with these polymer guns. This is a perfect reason why I keep Ballistol in my gun accessories case. One can be sloppy with it - then use it's outer drips to clean the pistols exterior too..... metal, polymers, grips, sights, magazines, clips.....et-all.

I discovered that the Break Free Powder Blaster product can affect the bluing on your metal finish. It didn't remove the bluing completely, but made it lighter in color and adding oil back to the finish didn't restore the original color. I would keep it away from any oil finishes on wood, as well. Break Free CLP is good stuff, though, and is safe to use on any of the finishes I've encountered.

For sludge and gunk I use non chlorinated brake parts cleaner . Works better than most gun cleaners for a fraction of the price .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back