Cheap beater tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Saabist
I am very happy with the General Altimax RT43 tires on my Saab beater.

What did yours cost you? For my size they are pretty expensive here. RT43's in 235/45/17 cost 160$ ea, thats 10 bucks short of pilot sport a/s 3+'s. Just a few months ago I picked up a set of rt43's for in 225/70/16 for 100$ ea.

I know where to look to find good prices on tires. I made this thread to see if any of you guys had experience with cheap tires. Seems like most of you are buying that fancy stuff
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Speedinsweede
Originally Posted by Saabist
I am very happy with the General Altimax RT43 tires on my Saab beater.

What did yours cost you? For my size they are pretty expensive here. RT43's in 235/45/17 cost 160$ ea, thats 10 bucks short of pilot sport a/s 3+'s. Just a few months ago I picked up a set of rt43's for in 225/70/16 for 100$ ea.

I know where to look to find good prices on tires. I made this thread to see if any of you guys had experience with cheap tires. Seems like most of you are buying that fancy stuff
lol.gif

Cheap doesn't always equal value. For me, I have a daily that will be driving all 4 seasons, that will likely include a set of 3 seasons and winters, It is a bit pay to play with the larger rim sizes as I have 18s on my Veloster and have a set of 17 that will end up being the new winter rims. I would rather spend a bit more on the car I have to daily knowing that I can depend on it while my summer toy doesn't need to have the Dunlop Direzza star spec 3 summers on it. I personally avoid the supercheap no name tires due to lack of trust in potential quality (treadwear, build quality, ect) and the fact that only 4 tires are what keep the vehicle in contact with the ground. I would go with a lower tier known brand (Kelly, Douglas, Mastercraft, General, ect) and avoid the no names.

Take a Saturday and drive down to Buffalo, and pick up some Starfires at a Mr. Tire or Mavis Discount Tire, or get some Douglas tires at Walmart. Starfire and Douglas are both manuafactured by Cooper IIRC.

For me my area I'd go DT Arizonian Silver Edition III. Had put them on a vehicle (Camry) we were going to get rid of, but gave that car to a grand daughter afterwards and they did well. They did have cheaper tires (GT Radial Champiro Touring and Otshu) but couldn't pull myself to those as my son was driving the car until we got a replacement, so the Arizonian did fine for the short time he drove the car, then the grand daughter took it and drove miles until worn and I replaced the tires with new higher end. At least she got a new tire when she damaged one from DT. I also couldn't myself for any used tires.

Originally Posted by Speedinsweede

I have a Saab 9000 CSE which takes a 205/60-15 tire. It's a rusty, high-mileage beater but runs well. I bought the Generals close to 3 years ago at Tire Rack and as I recall it was something like $425 with mounting and balancing for the 4 tires. (This was before the feds ruled that the states can collect sales tax.)

For grins I just checked Tire Rack and a set of 4 RT43 tires my size today are about $82 each, $328 set of 4, plus another $130 or so for mounting, balancing, and tax. So the total would be around $460 out the door and installed. Your size is much more expensive though, about $133 per tire, and that's U.S. rather than Canadian pricing.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by dadto2
Starfire and Douglas are both manuafactured by Cooper IIRC.

Douglas tires are made by Goodyear, and usually in the US.

My experience with Douglas from Walmart was that they were ridiculously short-lived. This was about 10 years ago so YMMV.

I see Milestar on amazon.ca but they are much more expensive than they are in the States, even allowing for exchange rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back