Changing Fluid in Diff 2008 CRV AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often should I change the Diff fluid in a 2008 AWD Honda CRV?

It's the Honda DP 2.

Honda recommended 30K intervals in the past. Which if I was caring for a CR-V/RDX or anything with the RT4WD system would be my recommendation too.

I've seen some forums where they mentioned 15k. I was sorta thinking of doing every 30k when I do the ATF.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
Maintenance minder will signal when it's time, IIRC.

I ain't gonna use the maintenance minder.

Originally Posted by Gebo

But you'll take "advice" from random people on the internet....

The maintenance minder is incorrect on these 3rd gen CR-Vs. There is a Technical Service Bulletin to change it at 15K or 20K miles (I cannot remember which, search the CR-V forum if you really need to know). If you wait too long, the rear diff begins to engage while driving/turning and you'll feel vibrations.

If you think you are having problems, the TSB said to put the car in reverse and turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and drive in circles. Repeat this to the left, also. If you feel the rear diff grabbing, you need to flush the diff with thee fluid changes. This will correct the grabbing and vibrations.

If no grabbing/vibrations, do a single drain and fill.

I 1x drain and fill my rear diff every year or 15K. I use the Honda Dual Pump 2 fluid. It takes a little over one quart, so buy two. It's also helpful if you get a pump that fits the top of the bottle. They're pretty inexpensive and worth their weight in gold for this job.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Gebo

But you'll take "advice" from random people on the internet....

Affirmative. I trust you guys more than you realize. I use discernment.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by Ride_Red
The maintenance minder is incorrect on these 3rd gen CR-Vs. There is a Technical Service Bulletin to change it at 15K or 20K miles (I cannot remember which, search the CR-V forum if you really need to know). If you wait too long, the rear diff begins to engage while driving/turning and you'll feel vibrations.

If you think you are having problems, the TSB said to put the car in reverse and turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and drive in circles. Repeat this to the left, also. If you feel the rear diff grabbing, you need to flush the diff with thee fluid changes. This will correct the grabbing and vibrations.

If no grabbing/vibrations, do a single drain and fill.

I 1x drain and fill my rear diff every year or 15K. I use the Honda Dual Pump 2 fluid. It takes a little over one quart, so buy two. It's also helpful if you get a pump that fits the top of the bottle. They're pretty inexpensive and worth their weight in gold for this job.

A Honda guy told me to wait til it starts grabbing when turning left and right. Lol. Seems a little late for me. I guess I can go to CR-V forums. This is not my car but I am responsible for maintenance. 15k should be very satisfactory.

Thank you Ride_Red. Great info.

I watched Eric the Car Guy use a screw nipple on the DP2 bottle and squirt it directly in the diff. I may try that technique once.

I'm gonna do some backwards donuts in the church parking lot while slurping a Blizzard with my wife.

Does the Honda TSB say replace the fluid 3x ? That doesn't make much sense... A diff doesn't have passages, secondary areas, tubing, etc where extra fluid can remain.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Does the Honda TSB say replace the fluid 3x ? That doesn't make much sense... A diff doesn't have passages, secondary areas, tubing, etc where extra fluid can remain.

The TSB applied all the way back to the 1st gen CR-V. I think the 3x flush also was because they changed from "Dual Pump Fluid" to the new "Dual Pump Fluid 2" and wanted to flush all the old fluid out.

I tried the nozzle on the bottle. I couldn't get all the quart in there because you can't tip it up high enough. The pump worked much better for me. Been doing it that way for 10 yrs now.

Also, remember to open the FILL plug first. Then open the drain. It would be a bad day if you drain the fluid out and the fill plug is stuck!

i changed mine every 30k miles on my 2011. its just a drain and refill so not much to it. get one of those pumps that attached to the bottle i always wondered if i could go longer as every time i drained it , it looked pristine. never had any binding in the 115k miles on it

Yep. Seems like a waste because the fluid looks so clean. But that's the point, what's in that diff that would make it dirty? The clutch packs! If the fluid is dirty, you are wearing the clutch pack.

I think the MM interval was 60K or something large like that. 30K is probably just fine. 15K-ish was easy for me because I change it in the fall before it gets cold outside. I work in my driveway, so many maintenance schedules get manipulated so I'm not under the car in the winter.

My 2004 (pre-MM) CR-V I seem to remember the interval was 60K for the differential service. At the time, folks who made the AWD kick in frequently could wear out the fluid quickly. The telltale sign was if you drive slowly in a circle with the wheel turned far right or left and it was shuddering, then it's time. I usually changed it at 30k, never a problem. My '08 was an FWD, and I don't remember if it showed differential service with something else.

we had a 97. 15k was the spec interval IIRC and they meant it. I think we bought it used and changed at 30k at it was pretty beat up. The rear end in that one engaged very quickly, and I applaud honda for designing that way because it was was super-effective in the snow. You could actually get on it a little and be aggressive and it handled it well. I didn't mind the 15k interval considering what it delivered.

Well, the consensus is between 15-30K. It was changed 28K ago so I'll do it the next oil change and then decide whether to go 15 or 30K.

Like I said, I do it when convenient. Typically every other oil change, which works out to about 15-16K miles. I may do it later, depending on if that 2nd oil change happens in the winter, I'll wait until spring and do it at the next oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back