Kitty food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by faltic
My animals will starve with Blue Buffalo food setting virtually untouched in their bowls. When I first made the switch they liked it ok but after a few months just wouldn't eat it. Don't know if the formula changed or what. Get them any other grain free food now and they love it. Dog and a cat BTW.

Blue Buffalo is crap. All their stuff has too many carbs. They are more a marketing firm than a pet food company.

My now departed cat ate high-end food - Fromm and Nulo grain-free. It wasn't enough to stave off heart failure as she crossed the bridge a week shy of 15.

For the kidney issues, while male cats(especially tuxedos) are more prone to them, stick to what the vet recommends - but I would go canned. Cats need all the water they can get.

You need an very low ash(just like some cars need low SAPS motor oil) food to prevent the formation of kidney stones. I also think the urinary formulas are lower in protein and have other recipe tweaks to keep uric acid production under control.

Originally Posted by faltic
My animals will starve with Blue Buffalo food setting virtually untouched in their bowls. When I first made the switch they liked it ok but after a few months just wouldn't eat it. Don't know if the formula changed or what. Get them any other grain free food now and they love it. Dog and a cat BTW.

Its doesnt really matter if its grain free or not but it does matter that the protein is animal protein and the meats are labelled meats.
(as I posted above) ^^

In my post a few posts above I forgot to add we also once in a while buy a whole cooked 3 lb cooked Chicken from Sams club for dinner, we also pick up a second chicken for the dog. We cut it up and freeze it in bags. We always sprinkle "human" meat on top of his usual food.
Includes left over steak and if we are having burgers, will cook him up one too.
Buying a whole Chicken at Sams Club for your pet is cheaper then cat and dog food so its a fantastic way to get some good protein into your pets meal by putting some on top of their food everyday.
Wife will also cook up chop meat and store it in the freezer the same way, in bags, one kept in the refrigerator and sprinkle it on top of his food.
When we dont have the extra meat around or run out, we have cans of human Alaska Salmon and cheap tuna from the supermarket in the pantry to open up and put on top of his food.
There is no substitute for quality protein. We also add fruit and veggies but that is something you need to research as to what is safe for cats and dogs, things like garlic and onions can be deadly so I wont comment as if someone reads my post wrong. though my dog does get a couple slices of apple on top of his food at night along with the other stuff. :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
dd we also once in a while buy a whole cooked 3 lb cooked Chicken from Sams club for dinner, we also pick up a second chicken for the dog. We cut it up and freeze it in bags. We always sprinkle "human" meat on top of his usual food.
When we dont have the extra meat around or run out, we have cans of human Alaska Salmon and cheap tuna from the supermarket in the pantry to open up and put on top of his food.

My parents did that with my cat - when they go to Costco they usually grab a roasted chicken and they'll give the cat a few pieces on top of her food.

I'd sometimes open up a can of sardines, mackerel or tuna and give her some as well while I eat the rest on baguettes. Her favorite is raw chicken or turkey hearts.

Is it normal if your cat refuses to drink water....he is "milk only"?

I dilute his milk with water to fool him though!
smile.gif

Costco Purple and Orange bag cat food seems pretty good stuff for the $. Our cat was getting a little heavy on the purple bag so we moved her to the slightly more expensive orange bag and she seems a bit healthier.

Originally Posted by nthach
dd we also once in a while buy a whole cooked 3 lb cooked Chicken from Sams club for dinner, we also pick up a second chicken for the dog. We cut it up and freeze it in bags. We always sprinkle "human" meat on top of his usual food.

My parents did that with my cat - when they go to Costco they usually grab a roasted chicken and they'll give the cat a few pieces on top of her food.

I'd sometimes open up a can of sardines, mackerel or tuna and give her some as well while I eat the rest on baguettes. Her favorite is raw chicken or turkey hearts.

Yup, the food we eat is far superior to cat and dog food, funny too, the food we eat is cheaper!
When we dont have chicken or beef around to add to our dogs food, the mackerel is another choice.

Wet food (canned) is far superior to dry kibble, dry kibble is super heated, pressed and because of that is chemically altered from the "meat" that it was, never mind caner causing agents from the super heating.

We feed him 2 times a day,
Our dogs main meal is in the evening, any one of a a variety of 4,5,6 companies canned food for that evening, plus apples, carrots and peas from our refrigerator.
Topped with a healthy portion of one of our own human chicken, beef, and if out of that, any of the mentioned grocery canned meats, salmon, tuna, mackerel.

His morning meal just consists of less then a half cup of dry dog food (kibble) topped with a splash of Lactose free low fat or no fat milk.

There is nothing magical about pet food, its the cheapest crap sold for a huge markup much more expensive then human food, so get the best pet food you can afford by researching (mentioned in this thread) and top with good quality food that you eat, fruits, veggies and meat/fish.
Do check on line to make sure what you do feed is safe. Somethings are not safe for dogs such as onion/garlic (can be deadly)
I cant comment on cats but same thing goes for that.
More or less, keep it simple, chicken, fish, beef without seasoning. If adding veggies and fruit, just check online until you know what you are doing. Same goes for milk, check on line. I know dogs can/are lactose intolerant so we sprinkle lactose free mild on his morning small meal :eek:)

(my posts must sound nuts *L*) But think about it, doing a little home work you can add real food to your pet food with real unaltered protein and veggies fruit. I think many people would see a much more healthy pet.

Last edited:
Do some research on this but IIRC phosphorus levels are what you want to look for. Hills/Science Diet etc, have lower levels of phosphorus so shop for something similar. Also, visit HERE for advice.

Wet food (canned) is far superior to dry kibble, dry kibble is super heated, pressed and because of that is chemically altered from the "meat" that it was, never mind caner causing agents from the super heating.

For cats, wet food is one of the best things you can do for them - Sunny who's now across the rainbow bridge saw mostly Nulo or Lotus canned with some Tiki Cat mixed in. Never had to make a vet visit for urinary tract issues and she was healthy until a few days after the new year, due to heart failure that wasn't caught.

Raw would be even better since cats are obligate carnivores - a diet rich in organ and muscle meats. Sunny loved her poultry giblets, she would behead a fish if one was left out.

Since the FDA is looking into a link between grain-free food and HCM in dogs, I have some feeling that have caused my cat's death but she was also getting there in age. I know of someone who kept a cat around for 19 years on mostly Friskies.

To the OP: Forgive me if you answered this already.

What KIND of kidney problem does your cat have? Kidney stones and chronic kidney disease for example are both kidney problems, but the solutions would be different.

As others have mentioned, all cats live near the edge of dehydration. A water fountain is a good idea for any cat, especially if they eat dry food. You can find a nice selection at Amazon.

If the problem is chronic kidney disease, I highly recommend Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease.

Hill's Science Diet Kidney diet is low protein. Cats are obligate carnivores. Their livers produce protein digesting enzymes round the clock. If they don't get enough protein, those enzymes will digest their own tissues. Consequently my elderly CKD cat became emaciated and weak on every low-protein kidney diet we tried. She needed normal protein but low phosphorus food. By selecting canned foods from Tanya's lists according to their protein and phosphorus content, my kitty flourished. Trader Joe's canned chicken, turkey and rice became her mainstay. She did so well on it that I fed it exclusively to all my cats. They all lived from 16 to 18 years.

If the problem is kidney stones, I'd suggest a low ash canned food with some extra water added.

Good luck with your kitty!

For cats, wet food is one of the best things you can do for them - Sunny who's now across the rainbow bridge saw mostly Nulo or Lotus canned with some Tiki Cat mixed in. Never had to make a vet visit for urinary tract issues and she was healthy until a few days after the new year, due to heart failure that wasn't caught.

Agree, wet foods are always the best for cats and dogs.
Dry food "kibble" is an unnatural method of feeding protein, unknown to most, the process heats the protein/meat products so much, dehydrates and all other mean nasty things that the product chemical structure no longer represents the meats that went into the food. Never mind all the cancer causing agents that were created in the process.
Add to that, many of the meat come from overseas, including CHINA, you know, the country that was poisoning their own babies by adding industrial chemicals to increase protein readings on the labels?

the bottom line is the pet food industry is an evil industry, in addition they do not want you to think, for one minute, that you can actually feed your pet food that is 1000 times more safe and better for them at a LOWER cost. That food is people food, as in real chicken, beef, veggies etc.
and for goodness sakes, talk about evil, what about the phony pictures on the pet food bags!?! Why would you choose a company that puts fake photos on pet food bags?

You want to see something more scary??????? I mean, what is it that we have to type in here for the public to understand? (not you)
How about this test site, for goodness sakes, they even test USA baby food, yet they test pet food too, want to see scary stuff read it.
Bottom line, always feed or add as much seasoning free people meat, beef, fish, poultry, fruit veggies ,. You will notice improved health.

ALWAYS CHECK the SAFETY of any people food you feed first. Meaning fruit, veggies, make sure it is safe, easy to check the safety of anything with a search

OK< NOW AS PROMISED -

https://www.cleanlabelproject.org/pet-food/

----------

Last edited:
Look online and there are several OTC foods that are almost as low as the prescription brands for the couple of ingredients that are harmful to kidneys. Do a search for cat foods low in the two or three ingredients that the prescription ones have. I did that and no issues. Very specific cans though, so label reading is important. there is a website that published a list of the OTC foods that are low in these ingredients

the bottom line is the pet food industry is an evil industry

Not to mention pet food is dominated by Nestle(Purina), Mars(Pedigree/Whiskas, Iams, Sheba/Cesar, Nutro, Royal Canin), Colgate-Palmolive(Hill's) and Smucker's(Meow Mix, Gravy Train). Smucker's is making store brands - Ol' Roy and Special Kitty from WM for example.

The "holistic" pet food market is now seeing some M&A activity by the mass-market makers lately, rumor has it that Champion Pet Foods who makes Acana and Orijen is being eyed by Purina for a take over. Diamond Pet Foods supplies 40% of the holistic market, and Costco's house brand is from Diamond.

I know someone who used to be the manager at a high-end pet food chain in the Bay Area who gave me some inside info. The rescue my parents adopted their cat from recommended Purina, we fed her better food and she lived a happy life.

As, nthach and, alarmguy have both stated, dry food= BAD! But for even more reasons than they listed. The country of origin is a real problem for pet foods. I will not name this country as it already has been, but in this country that produces so many things that the world consumes, they have little care in what, or how they produce their products. Money, or revenues seem to be the bottom line. There seem to be no real morals.

The "Scrap" piles as they refer to the source piles of whatever they mix and make their food out of is laced around the perimeter with rat or rodent poison, therefore it is said that some of this poison occasionally makes its way into the Scrap pile and into the food processors. It is mostly in dry foods. So, moral of the story, buy foods made in this country, or as others have said, feed your cats more pure proteins. Animals are not inexpensive, they used to be, but not anymore if you truly care about them and can afford to give them the care and food that they deserve.

Last month my vet bills were above $2500.00, 1 dog, shots, 2 teeth extracted, its not even my dog!

My 9 year old cat I found in the lot next to my house, urinary tract infection, kidney disease, high blood pressure. After a few weeks got the urinary infection and high blood pressure worked out and back to normal, and her createne #'s came down and I have been giving her fluids under the skin with an IV bag and 18ga needle. Her attitude has changed this past week and she seems pretty normal and happy now again.

Several years ago I went thru the kidney disease with my 17 yo male cat, gave him fluids under the skin for quite some time also. The wife and I don't have kids, so the animals are my kids! I could not even begin to ad up the amount of $ I have spent on vet bills over my life and it does not matter, I'm lucky, I can afford it, and I don't care how much it cost's.

Costco's Kirkland brand is a quality food? One of my dogs that I got from a Sherriff friend of mine out of a really bad drug house is very picky, sensitive to food, gets diarrhea easily from human food was eating it and I have tried other foods, but she likes Costco Salmon and Sweet Potato. She also had PTSD and I had to give her human tranquilizers prescribed by the vet for a couple of years. She has allergies also, another $75.00 a month for pills! Spent about 5K trying every possible option, but the pills is the only option that half way works. Must have been all the Meth smoke...

Not to mention pet food is dominated by Nestle(Purina), Mars(Pedigree/Whiskas, Iams, Sheba/Cesar, Nutro, Royal Canin), Colgate-Palmolive(Hill's) and Smucker's(Meow Mix, Gravy Train). Smucker's is making store brands - Ol' Roy and Special Kitty from WM for example.

The "holistic" pet food market is now seeing some M&A activity by the mass-market makers lately, rumor has it that Champion Pet Foods who makes Acana and Orijen is being eyed by Purina for a take over. Diamond Pet Foods supplies 40% of the holistic market, and Costco's house brand is from Diamond.

I know someone who used to be the manager at a high-end pet food chain in the Bay Area who gave me some inside info. The rescue my parents adopted their cat from recommended Purina, we fed her better food and she lived a happy life.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder

Several years ago I went thru the kidney disease with my 17 yo male cat, gave him fluids under the skin for quite some time also..

Please elaborate that more...I dont get it
smile.gif

You put some extra "fluid"
Or "fluid" means "some medicine" for his kidneys?

We have found Tractor Supply to have the best prices on pet food. They also carry Hills/ Science Diet. SD is owned by Hills btw.

Chewy is expensive IMO. You pay for that convenience.

We buy the hounds diamond brand. The packaging is somewhat odd and tears easily. Bought 2 bags online and both were received with tears at the seam. Nearly $80 fully refunded with no questions asked. Both bags were taken to my parents property and distributed all along the creek for the wild animals.

SD has identical plastic packaging. I like the idea of inspecting it before purchase.

Last edited:

Yes and ironically some Diamond products are not that bad, like their Diamond Pro foods.
Also some recently higher end Purina Products such as Beyond have all named meats unlike any other.

Chicken Soup for the Soul is a economical choice for people on a budget.

Purina now owns these companies, that isnt such a bad thing if you read the label and they dont cheap out on the ingredients because Purina has the capability for strict quality control.
Castor and Pollux Natural Ultramix
Castor and Pollux Organix
Merrick Backcountry
Merrick Classic
Merrick Grain Free
Whole Earth Farms

Im not endorsing products just talking. Biggest thing to do is read the ingredients! *L*
Its the only place where you will see what you are feeding your pet, forget the phony pictures on the container.

and most important of all, keep in mind, per pound it is cheaper to buy regular chicken and fish from the supermarket that you eat and add it to your pet food because the food you eat ironically is MUCH less expensive then the super high market left over garbage cat or dog food you are buying.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
We have found Tractor Supply to have the best prices on pet food. They also carry Hills/ Science Diet. SD is owned by Hills btw.

Chewy is expensive IMO. You pay for that convenience.

We buy the hounds diamond brand. The packaging is somewhat odd and tears easily. Bought 2 bags online and both were received with tears at the seam. Nearly $80 fully refunded with no questions asked. Both bags were taken to my parents property and distributed all along the creek for the wild animals.

SD has identical plastic packaging. I like the idea of inspecting it before purchase.

A year or more ago I read a list of the 20 worst "Dry" dog foods, Science Diet was on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back