Hit By a Drunk Driver Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I was driving to the hospital to visit my father-in-law and had my 2 year old daughter in the back. We were going about 40 mph and this guy drove right out in front of us. We are both okay. I immediately got her out of the carseat and she was smiling and laughing. We both got checked out in the ER and cleared.

The Altima is totaled. The front end is destroyed, radiator is busted, hood is smashed up, windshield spiderwebbed, and airbags deployed.

The person that pulled out in front of me drove away with his driver side wheel angled in, fender and hood smashed, and headlight hanging. His car died on him a few streets down and the police got him. He's being charged with a DUI and hit and run. He did have insurance though, fortunately.

In 17 years of driving, this is my first major accident.

He won't have auto coverage with that company after they see what $$ will be spent making you whole again.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B

A small medical fact - an alcoholic can die if the detox is uncontrolled the way it happens in jail or cold turkey situations.

This is true, and also true for Benzodiazepines class drugs ( valium zanax etc.)

That can be taken care of in jail. Prisoners do not go without healthcare. I have take care of incarcerated patients.

I don't have any pictures of the damage yet. We're going to see the car and get our stuff out if it'll ever stop raining...

My right leg and foot feels stiff and sore today. I was standing on the brakes when we hit so that's probably why.

We're going to be shopping for another car soon. That Altima did us well for 14 years and 236k miles. It sucks I never got a chance to get a UOA on the BAS oil in it.

RDY4WAR, my dad is a retired attorney. Don't cash any check you get in the mail from the insurer of the drunk that hit you. I recommend you see an attorney.

A friend an 8th grade was killed by a drunk driver. 30+ years later, it still hurts.

So glad you and your daughter are OK!

Such an incredibly selfish and reckless action. Drunk drivers have zero tolerance in my book.

I don't have any pictures of the damage yet. We're going to see the car and get our stuff out if it'll ever stop raining...

My right leg and foot feels stiff and sore today. I was standing on the brakes when we hit so that's probably why.

We're going to be shopping for another car soon. That Altima did us well for 14 years and 236k miles. It sucks I never got a chance to get a UOA on the BAS oil in it.

So glad to hear that you and your dear daughter made it out OK. Your angels were watching over you.

Soft tissue trauma from an accident like yours often takes about 3 days to become apparent. Structural misalignments caused by the accident can overstretch your tendons and ligaments. Just like overstetching a rubber band for too long, overstretched tendons and ligaments lose their ability to snap back and hold your joints stable. Over the years, this joint instability can lead to wear-and-tear conditions like osteoarthritis.

Many years ago I was broadsided by a red light runner. It took about 3 days for the aches, pains and stiffness to set in. I went to one of those accident chiropractors. Didn't expect much, but it turned out he was the best chiropractor I've ever seen. The guy really knew his stuff. He billed the insurance of the woman who hit me, so it didn't cost me a thing.

Take it from someone who feels all the aches and pains of 5 whiplash injuries and numerous falls from horses that didn't get treated promptly. See a good chiropractor in a few days. Don't wait too long.

I ceased reading replies to this thread after seeing 5 of them condone (or outright call for) murder as some sort of solution to either alcoholism or impaired driving in general.

Wow...and here I am all delusional that I live in a civilized society with laws and such. Imagine my surprise to learn otherwise...

Glad to hear there were no serious injuries in the OP's accident.

Regards,
Nuke

Originally Posted by shiny

So glad to hear that you and your dear daughter made it out OK. Your angels were watching over you.

Soft tissue trauma from an accident like yours often takes about 3 days to become apparent. Structural misalignments caused by the accident can overstretch your tendons and ligaments. Just like overstetching a rubber band for too long, overstretched tendons and ligaments lose their ability to snap back and hold your joints stable. Over the years, this joint instability can lead to wear-and-tear conditions like osteoarthritis.

Many years ago I was broadsided by a red light runner. It took about 3 days for the aches, pains and stiffness to set in. I went to one of those accident chiropractors. Didn't expect much, but it turned out he was the best chiropractor I've ever seen. The guy really knew his stuff. He billed the insurance of the woman who hit me, so it didn't cost me a thing.

Take it from someone who feels all the aches and pains of 5 whiplash injuries and numerous falls from horses that didn't get treated promptly. See a good chiropractor in a few days. Don't wait too long.

I already have an appointment on Tuesday with my chiropractor for a second round of injections in my lower back. When I was in the military, I had an injury that caused slipped discs at L4-L5 and L5-S1 and left me with scoliosis, stenosis, and sciatica. I was expecting that to be inflamed today, but it actually isn't anymore than usual. Time will tell, I suppose.

I'm looking into getting a lawyer as well.

I already have an appointment on Tuesday with my chiropractor for a second round of injections in my lower back. When I was in the military, I had an injury that caused slipped discs at L4-L5 and L5-S1 and left me with scoliosis, stenosis, and sciatica. I was expecting that to be inflamed today, but it actually isn't anymore than usual. Time will tell, I suppose.

If I may ask: Prolotherapy?

Bless you for your service, and for your injury. Those things hurt! I have the same L4-L5 L5-S1 back injury that you have. Ruptured discs, sciatica, partially paralyzed left leg as a result. The doctor said I'd be bedridden for at least 9 months. Instead, I ordered a Back-A-Line and thanks to that, I was walking in 3 days and off painkillers in a week.

That was 20 years ago. I still wear a Back-A-Line to this day. It keeps my discs stable and keeps me pain-free. Unlike elastic supports that create weakness, Back-A-Line increases core strength. My chiropractor approves.

If your lower back hurts, maybe check it out. If you don't like it they'll give you your money back. (I don't work for them; I just think they're the best thing since puppies and rainbows)

Feel better soon!

Originally Posted by grampi

Getting caught driving without a license after it was taken away for drunk driving should be an immediate death sentence...

I agree 100%. Many deaths that occur when drunk driving is involved is due to repeat offenders. Oh and no drawn out appeals or such, a quick carrying out of justice
within 60 days should be the law.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Good to hear you and your daughter are OK.

The drunk kid should go to jail. I'm surprised anyone would even think of letting him off with just rehab.
It's this type of "bleeding heart" solutions that keep the drunks driving.

Same reason we have gang and gun violence problems in the GTA.

Definitely agree here.

Originally Posted by shiny

If I may ask: Prolotherapy?

Bless you for your service, and for your injury. Those things hurt! I have the same L4-L5 L5-S1 back injury that you have. Ruptured discs, sciatica, partially paralyzed left leg as a result. The doctor said I'd be bedridden for at least 9 months. Instead, I ordered a Back-A-Line and thanks to that, I was walking in 3 days and off painkillers in a week.

That was 20 years ago. I still wear a Back-A-Line to this day. It keeps my discs stable and keeps me pain-free. Unlike elastic supports that create weakness, Back-A-Line increases core strength. My chiropractor approves.

If your lower back hurts, maybe check it out. If you don't like it they'll give you your money back. (I don't work for them; I just think they're the best thing since puppies and rainbows)

Feel better soon!

Not prolotherapy. It's just steroid/pain injections. I get 2 rounds of them every 6 months. I had surgery on my lower back a couple years ago (spinal fusion) but the pain persists.

I'll have to look into that Back-A-Line. Thanks for mentioning it.

In Georgia, insurance will pay out for a drunk driver's damages to other property, but not to their own. I'll be calling his insurance in a couple days when the police report comes out.

This is the morally correct policy and why we have state insurance commissions to set the standard. If an insurance company has financial skin in the game, they'd refuse to cover known drunk drivers or charge them exorbitant amounts.

The other driver aggravated this by running from the scene. Hope they throw the book at him.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
RDY4WAR, my dad is a retired attorney. Don't cash any check you get in the mail from the insurer of the drunk that hit you. I recommend you see an attorney.

This X2. That first check shows up quick, and the fine print on the back makes it a final, lowball offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back