Power steering question

I feel like I've asked this before, but can't find the thread. Once in a while, if I start my car and don't give it 10-20 seconds to idle, as in, just jump in and go, I feel like the power steering "stops" doing its job. Like I'm turning too fast for it to keep up with power assist.

No issues whatsoever the rest of the time. Lock to lock steering is fine at idle on pavement, once past I dunno a minute, once warm that is. Fluid looks clean, not burnt, no issue with level. I know I changed the fluid 80k ago; that sounds like a long time but the car lives on the highway.

Just a weak power steering pump? It's done this for maybe 2 years now, and I'd be content to ignore, but I'm trying to scope out future repairs that might be lurking--I'd be kinda upset to rebuild the suspension only to need a rack the following month.

Often that's simply because the belt slips, though you'd likely hear noise from the belt. If it's not that it could be because the vanes in the pump are sticking.

Originally Posted by mk378
Often that's simply because the belt slips, though you'd likely hear noise from the belt. If it's not that it could be because the vanes in the pump are sticking.

I don't hear noise when it does this. I do recall having issues getting that darn belt tight though, but I forget if I had heard noise when it was loose or not. Hmm, that could be a simple fix; timing belt is due this summer so it'd get a new belt then.

I've had similar issues with 2 Tacomas. Both were remedied by changing the PS fluid using the turkey baster method. Not sure if it was merely due to old fluid or maybe because I switched over to synthetic?

The first thing I would do is change the fluid, return line off is the best way, the turkey baster method is close to useless. Try Amsoil ATF (not ATFL) in this dex III PS spec vehicle, it works great.

I could try that. Just pull the return line at the pump, then turn the wheel lock to lock? Engine off I'm guessing. I could try that today with regular Maxlife (which it has right now), see how much of a mess I can make (I made one heck of one when I did the TB and only emptied what I could with a vacuum pump--there was plenty more left in the system!).

The only vehicle that I've had this issue was my wife's Lexus RX. I tried flushing the system with new Dex ATF but nothing I tried seem to work for long. P/S system never made any noises. One product that seemed to work was BARS Leaks Power Steering FIX. It's a two part system of P/S fluid and a conditioner. it seem to work the best of all I tried.

Mostly what I did try was just disconnecting the P/S feed line(pass front wheel removed) and:
* Draining
* Pouring in new DEXRON ATF
* Moving the front wheels back & forth.
* Then adding the BARS Leaks P/S Fix with the new DEXRON ATF.

I liked Mobil 1 DEX III/MERC Syn ATF

Last edited:
I just finished a PS flush yesterday. I got that clear tubing with a brass coupling to insert into the black return line (top one) and then closed off the plastic connector on the reservoir. Jacked up car until front tires are off the ground.

Turned steering wheel from lock to lock several times. Then reconnected and filled reservoir to the rim. Turned steering wheel from lock to lock.

Added more fluid. Then ran engine at idle and added more fluid. Took it for a short drive. Then I let it sit over night for all the air to escape and topped it off this morning.

I used Toyota D-III ATF. My second choice would be what Trav says as Amsoil has 2 ATF's. One which is a D-III substitute. I wouldn't use Maxlife in this situation.

Originally Posted by MarkM66
Did you check the rack itself for leaks? Check to see if the bellows are dry.

No leaks that I see, bellows look dry to me. Been sitting overnight and the tank is at cold min; I don't remember what I filled it to, just that I haven't touched in a couple of years.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Called morning sickness. Seals inside the rack shrink when cold and fluid leaks internally. Once the fluid warms up and the seals expand, problem goes away.

I thought they made noise doing that? Probably depends on manufacturer and other issues. I'll change the fluid and keep an eye (or ear) on it. It only does it maybe once a month, only at work (as I'm usually in a race to leave!) so it's not really bugging me.

Bumping my own thread. Life kinda went weird around this time...

If it is morning sickness, I presume it just gets worse with time?

I use my MityVac for PS service. Suck the fluid out of the reservoir. Hook MityVac up to return line and plug reservoir port.
Suck old fluid through sustem until it sucks air. Full reservoir and suck until fluid comes through.
Before replacing return line, let reservoir go fairly low to minimize mess. But you will make a mess anyways.
Fill up and let her idle. Check for bubbles and proper level.
Easy peasy. Placebo affect is amazing!

I use my MityVac for PS service. Suck the fluid out of the reservoir. Hook MityVac up to return line and plug reservoir port.
Suck old fluid through sustem until it sucks air. Full reservoir and suck until fluid comes through.
Before replacing return line, let reservoir go fairly low to minimize mess. But you will make a mess anyways.
Fill up and let her idle. Check for bubbles and proper level.
Easy peasy. Placebo affect is amazing!
I have to go find this recommended Amsoul ATF and see if it works better. Just not today, it warmed up to +5F, and then snow at some time tomorrow, so… hopefully not procrastinating another 2 years though!

Back