Diesel Oil Drip - Cleaning the driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old E300D MB drips on the driveway. I think I got the leak stopped, but the driveway looks like a Dalmation.
Any tricks on getting that soot laden Rotella T6 off the concrete?

This is what I do....with success

I put Purple Power (the same as Simple Green I suppose) FULL STRENGTH in a small 8 oz. spray bottle with an adjustable nozzle.
I use pin point spray.
Then I boil water and pour it on the stain to heat it up (obviously)
Then just apply the Purple Power to the stain. THis is pin point with little over-shooting.
Since most spots take multiple applications I rinse with hot water too.
One trick is to do this on a rainy day so the dirty water runs off cleanly. However, you can spray hose water downhill from the stain.

Do it 2 or 3 times then look the next day for reapplications. You'll be amazed how well it works.

I learned this on my parents snowy white concrete drive. I COULDN'T be the one who spotted it up. To this day it isn't.

I take dishwashing soap and drizzle it over the oil spot/stain until covered and leave it. On sunny days it ends up drying on the cement. I've found this allows the soap to penetrate all the way down into the stain. If I spray it with the hose too soon, it only gets it half way clean.

Next time it rains, the spot goes away. Been doing this for years. It's like magic.

I use Tide powder detergent, sprinkle it over the spot, step on it to embed it into the driveway, next day, sweep into dust pan and put in garbage.
Somewhat more environmentally friendly than power washing into the sewers and then into waterways.

I use fireplace ashes on mine. The ash is so dry and fine it sucks the oil right up. It also is used to make lye which is a cleaning agent. I spilled 3 gallons of used diesel oil on my shop floor and you can't even tell it. I spread out kitty litter to soak it up and then used the ashes mixed with a small amount of dry cement and it's all gone. Try it and see if it helps.

I hose it down with brake kleen (green can) and stomp in the kitty litter while it's still wet. Come back in an hour and sweep it up, works pretty well on the black diesel oil.

All the above suggestions are good.
Another: have a dirt/gravel driveway.
I apologize in advance for the "jest".

Last edited:
Purple Power concrete and driveway cleaner. Its stronger than simple green and purple power which btw aren't the same. We use it all the time on our warehouse floor. You can also use purple powerband Foca powdered detergent. You can get Foca at any Hispanic grocery store, it's great for getting oily stains out of fabric too. Just make sure to wear gloves, strong degreasers will hurt your skin.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OLEJOE
I use fireplace ashes on mine. The ash is so dry and fine it sucks the oil right up. It also is used to make lye which is a cleaning agent. I spilled 3 gallons of used diesel oil on my shop floor and you can't even tell it. I spread out kitty litter to soak it up and then used the ashes mixed with a small amount of dry cement and it's all gone. Try it and see if it helps.

That's a cool method! I Wii have to try it.

I also make a paste of ashes and water to clean the glass on my wood heater and it takes the creosote off of the glass front. Have to wear gloves though it's a strong cleaner. Just filter the ashes through a screen to get the unburned pieces out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back