Toyotas Website, Industry Worst?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even some of the cheaper auto brands have better websites than Toyota. Im trying to compare trims and see if I really need the "Limited" trim and Im having a difficult time comparing them.
Then when you want to build the car and it comes to the option menu, its difficult to see every item which comes in each package.
Maybe im just a technology challenged old man?

The trend in websites is using Wordpress VIP, Drupal or Adobe Experience Manager as your CMS(Content Management System) to allow a website to be easily updated by people who aren't front-end developers or UI/UX people. However, some places still use their own systems.

Originally Posted by nthach
The trend in websites is using Wordpress VIP, Drupal or Adobe Experience Manager as your CMS(Content Management System) to allow a website to be easily updated by people who aren't front-end developers or UI/UX people. However, some places still use their own systems.

Makes sense

Originally Posted by ad244
Even some of the cheaper auto brands have better websites than Toyota. Im trying to compare trims and see if I really need the "Limited" trim and Im having a difficult time comparing them.
Then when you want to build the car and it comes to the option menu, its difficult to see every item which comes in each package.

Ford's is worse in many aspects.

But that said, I'm looking at the site and the comparator section looks pretty good for an auto company website.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Seems pretty comprehensive and easy to understand. Sad to say, I think it's more a 'you' problem than a website problem.

While not the easiest to get here, it's not that hard. Hit Build on the model page, enter your zip, and this page comes up. You can view details of each trim level with the red "View Details" link below each trim level pic, and right next to it is the "Compare Models" link. Not especially difficult. See below picture where I have added appropriate visual aids.

Last edited:
The Toyota webpage could be a lot better. Not an old man problem.

Originally Posted by Spktyr

Ford's is worse in many aspects.

But that said, I'm looking at the site and the comparator section looks pretty good for an auto company website.

Seems pretty comprehensive and easy to understand. Sad to say, I think it's more a 'you' problem than a website problem.

While not the easiest to get here, it's not that hard. Hit Build on the model page, enter your zip, and this page comes up. You can view details of each trim level with the red "View Details" link below each trim level pic, and right next to it is the "Compare Models" link. Not especially difficult. See below picture where I have added appropriate visual aids.

Thanks for all the arrows.

So this for example:

Both the special edition and SR5 come with different 17" wheels... I wish I could see what those look like when comparing them as maybe I want the 7 spoke wheels vs the 6 spoke wheels. If they had some kind of picture attached that would be helpful.

Originally Posted by Leo99
The Toyota webpage could be a lot better. Not an old man problem.

That's riight, it isn't.

FWIW, I had the same frustration as the OP indicated trying to configure a Tacoma; having options that had minus prices didn't help.

The worst website I've been to was ran by ICHIKOH.

They were Japanese and before the Valeo takeover, I somehow got on there corporate page,
it was talking about how awesome the new Corporate solar powered building was. How in "harmony" the building was designed to aid the corporate worker, fully lighted by solar powered lighting. The whole corporate website was about this crazy tech building! Surreal. All I was looking for was company reports.

Last edited:
The marketing sales site is bad, but the Toyota owners site is really good. It keeps track of all your cars, when they are due for service, all service records for your vehicle are online and up to date. It also has service coupons. All the owners manuals are online

I agree, it is not an old man problem. Toyota does not do a good job show the delineation between models or options.

Both the special edition and SR5 come with different 17" wheels... I wish I could see what those look like when comparing them as maybe I want the 7 spoke wheels vs the 6 spoke wheels. If they had some kind of picture attached that would be helpful.

Barring any other alternative, you can open an image of the specific vehicles you're interested in, in separate windows, and then place them side-by-side on your monitor to compare.

Nissan recently updated their website and screwed up the vehicle database on their parts database. They are missing at least two models - 2008 G35 and 2012 G37 (sedan). I like to use this site to look up the factory p/n (including the original numbers or numbers that have superseded them) for my car ('08 G35) but they'd have me believe it's a figment of my imagination. Their contact form is (or was) broken, they aren't going to list a phone number for who to contact about website issues though I did try customer service but was on hold too long and gave up. I resorted to contacting them via FB Messenger. They said

"We encourage you to work closely with a Service Technician at your local INFINITI retailer, as they are in the best position to assist with any part inquiry you might have."

I guess they want me to schedule an appointment to talk to a technician ???

The problem that Toyota has with their website is related to the fact that, in addition to distributing most of the vehicles themselves (with options, packages and prices set by them), Toyota has two independent distributors that exist for 10 states. These distributors offer their own options and configurations on the Toyotas that they distribute in their protected areas. They also charge more money for the vehicles. This crazy system harkins back to the late 1960s when Toyota first started selling vehicles in the USA. In the beginning, all of Toyota's products sold here came through independent distributors. Toyota ended-up buying MOST of them back, but two of them persisted. Toyota has offered them obscene money to buy back the distributors but have been unsuccessful in doing-so.

Originally Posted by domer10
I am sure that has nothing to do with the fact they want you on the lot rather than on their website. Lol.

Yeah this. When I was shopping for my wife's prius last June the buyatoyota.com website was a hot mess. Couldn't really pin down any cars to any particular dealers. And dealers would get new cars on their websites (managed by 3rd parties) they didn't even know about, or had already sold/traded. They also refused to show VINs or stock numbers.

But I still bought the car, so I only positively reinforced their terribleness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back