Hit By a Drunk Driver Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter and three of her friends were hit head on by a drunk driver going the wrong way on a divided highway near Houston. The car they were in looked like no one could have survived, but they all did, with serious injuries. The other driver died at the scene. Many people have said, "At least the right person died this time." I hate to be that way, but it is true. Texas has a big problem with DUI and wrong way drivers.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I was driving to the hospital to visit my father-in-law and had my 2 year old daughter in the back. We were going about 40 mph and this guy drove right out in front of us. We are both okay. I immediately got her out of the carseat and she was smiling and laughing. We both got checked out in the ER and cleared.

The Altima is totaled. The front end is destroyed, radiator is busted, hood is smashed up, windshield spiderwebbed, and airbags deployed.

The person that pulled out in front of me drove away with his driver side wheel angled in, fender and hood smashed, and headlight hanging. His car died on him a few streets down and the police got him. He's being charged with a DUI and hit and run. He did have insurance though, fortunately.

In 17 years of driving, this is my first major accident.

Thank God both you and your daughter are all right ! What did the collision do to the drunk ?

Originally Posted by Donald

I am certainly not defending the guy, but tossing anyone in jail who drinks & drives is not the solution. Treatment for their addiction is a much better way forward.

You're giving him an out because drunk driving IS a crime. , He needs to be jailed for a long time, and he will be confined, unable to drink and can have plenty of time to think about the harm he did, he also RAN from the scene, and the victims could have died.

Last edited:

I am certainly not defending the guy, but tossing anyone in jail who drinks & drives is not the solution. Treatment for their addiction is a much better way forward.

Nah , i want them in jail. The car taken and sold, money given to restitution fund for victims, or victims families.

Originally Posted by FirstNissan
My family and I almost got killed by a drunk semi-driver when I was 9. I acknowledge that substance abuse is a mental health issue however when a loved one is killed/injured/permanently handicapped because of someone being under the influence, I have no sympathy for the impaired driver.

Yes - Society looks upon substance abuse as a mental health issue, but -
What causes a person to drink the very first time ?
Nicotine is addicting, what causes a person to smoke their first cigarette ?
Illegal drugs ruin a persons life, why do people do it the first time ?

People need more self-respect and self-control.
JUST SAY NO !

Glad to hear the OP and his daughter are ok.

Last edited:
I own a car dealership here in metro-Atlanta for the last 17 years and the change in traffic and driving etiquette is just plain embarrassing.

The sad thing is I see people who drive like they're drunk out here all the time thanks to cell phones. Every single phone sold in the USA should have a disabling function on it if you're traveling more than seven miles an hour. I don't even think it should be available as a hands-free device. Need to make or receive a call? Pull over and keep the rest of us safe.

Glad to hear you and your daughter are fine. Let me know if I can help when it comes time for the appraisal. My name is Steven Lang and I'm pretty easy to find online.

All the best!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
My daughter and I got checked out in the ER and are now home. She's knocked out. I don't think I'll be going to sleep anytime soon. I'm sitting here in her room, watching her sleep, like I don't want to leave her side even though I know the accident hardly even phased her.

OP,

Have Sierra close to you and your precious little girl for the next week.

You just had you life changed, but survived and learned about the important things in life.
Now, just take life one hour at a time.

All the best.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Good to hear you and your daughter are OK.

The drunk kid should go to jail. I'm surprised anyone would even think of letting him off with just rehab.
It's this type of "bleeding heart" solutions that keep the drunks driving.

Same reason we have gang and gun violence problems in the GTA.

Sorry for your ordeal, but most importantly glad you and your daughter ok. Obviously, the latter what's most important.

As for insurance coverage, my wish/hope is that you are fairly compensated for your vehicle and that obtaining such not another ordeal.

All the best.

If the kid is a victim of affluenza then needs rehab, not jail. But from OP's description it's just a normal kid so jail is warranted.

+1 on everybody making it out with minor injuries. Glad everybody is doing okay.

A close friend of mine came across a drunk driver one night on his way home from work and followed him from the highway to the local roads towards his house. She ended up hitting my friend's car and they both pulled into a police station that was right down the street. Long story short, police came out to what was going on, the drunk driver tried to grab the cop's balls, and her face got put into the concrete. What's even better is my friend was eating at a Boston Market a few weeks later and came across the same girl and her BF. Her BF's face ended up on the table too after he tried to start a fight.

When I lived in my previous house, my neighbor's wife and his I think 5-ish year old daughter was hit and killed by a drunk driver. He moved out a few months later and nobody knew what happened to him. A Marine in my unit was killed by a drunk driver going the wrong way on the highway.

My ex's step brother and step sister both had 2 or 3 DUIs each and their license suspended. I never had any respect for them because of that.

Alcoholism isn't a disease, it's an addiction. Addiction starts as a choice.

Last edited:
First of all, this guy may have just been drunk and not an alcoholic.

I have worked with alcoholics (of which I was one) over the years. I have yet to see one "cured" by rehab or counseling. I can't say
what "cured" me in open forum but if you PM me, I will share. Don't confuse "remission" with "cure."

If you have the money, you don't do the time. If you lose your license, you just drive without it.

My wife never understood how I couldn't just put the bottle down. Only an alcoholic knows what I am talking about.
Something comes over you and you just keep on drinking and drinking and drinking. It's an addiction.

Thank God you and your daughter are ok!

Originally Posted by Gebo

I have worked with alcoholics (of which I was one) over the years. I have yet to see one "cured" by rehab or counseling. I can't say
what "cured" me in open forum but if you PM me, I will share. Don't confuse "remission" with "cure."

If you have the money, you don't do the time. If you lose your license, you just drive without it.

My wife never understood how I couldn't just put the bottle down. Only an alcoholic knows what I am talking about.
Something comes over you and you just keep on drinking and drinking and drinking. It's an addiction.

Good point. But the penalty has to be severe and costing so that no one wants to make that bad decision. With uber and lyft, there is little excuse.

Too many multiple offense dui situations. If the first one did not change you( should be 2 days in jail first offense, no plea, no bail), then the second should be 30 days jail( no plea no bail no way out of jail), car forfeited ( regardless of who owns it unless stolen). Third offense, forfeit car, 2 years jail, mandatory. I would like to see more restitution to victims of crime, from criminals.

I totally get and appreciate where you are coming from Gebo, but also realize that even on this board, there has been a victim of a drunk driver where the criminal was a minister.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by Gebo

Good point. But the penalty has to be severe and costing so that no one wants to make that bad decision. With uber and lyft, there is little excuse.

Too many multiple offense dui situations. If the first one did not change you( should be 2 days in jail first offense, no plea, no bail), then the second should be 30 days jail( no plea no bail no way out of jail), car forfeited ( regardless of who owns it unless stolen). Third offense, forfeit car, 2 years jail, mandatory. I would like to see more restitution to victims of crime, from criminals.

I agree there must be justice served. I don't think the penalty has much effect on someone after alcohol has clouded their judgement. If I remember correctly, I never really thought I was drunk. It's hard to deter Alcohol abuse. Jail is about the only sure fire way to protect the rest of us.

True story, I was in court to support this man who was being tried for drunk driving. He came in drunk. His case was dismissed. His lawyer told me to get him the —- out of there ASAP! He came to court drunk. Case dismissed!!!!! He has been in rehab over 20 times and they refuse to take him again. Last time I saw him, he was losing his teeth. If you know what I mean. His father said it cost him $10k. This is the world in which we live.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
The most important thing is you all are OK.

Second, anyone who is drinking and driving deserves to be behind bars a long, long time so I hope he likes the view of steel bars as he'll be seeing them soon enough.

49.gif

Spending time in jail is part of their treatment...

Originally Posted by Spktyr
Originally Posted by Lubener

Second, anyone who is drinking and driving deserves to be behind bars a long, long time so I hope he likes the view of steel bars as he'll be seeing them soon enough.

49.gif

Take away their license and give it back upon successful completion of rehab. Do it again, take their license away for life.

Glad no one was hurt.

They drive without a license, too.

Getting caught driving without a license after it was taken away for drunk driving should be an immediate death sentence...

Originally Posted by grampi

49.gif

Spending time in jail is part of their treatment...

A small medical fact - an alcoholic can die if the detox is uncontrolled the way it happens in jail or cold turkey situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back