My 02 Jeep has had it's first major problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Chris142
But part of me want's to just throw a new release bearing in it

Can that be done without removing the transmission? I can't imagine how. If it's your personal car and plan on keeping it, OK then. If I was selling it, I would throw in a clutch kit even if it only had 78,680 miles on it.

Originally Posted by 02SE
I would certainly check everything while you have access, then decide from there.

That's my thought--Chris is a mechanic, dropping this trans is probably trivial, and the parts truck can deliver in reasonable time I'm guessing. Bit different than the rest of us!

I'd probably reuse the clutch if it looked good, the 250k disc looked fine on my Jetta, not even half worn, the mechanic said it had tons of life left in it (flywheel failure though). But all the other parts around it did look a bit worn, and the disc did get replaced (I was paying for labor and I wanted a better clutch anyhow).

Clutch not abused can last the life of the vehicle. If it is not chattering I would look at it and if it has some thickness on the friction I would leave it alone. After all, the Jeep may only have another 50 K left in it, and obviously you know how to drive a clutch. As fat as all this refinishing, groves add surface area. If you are willing to avoid full throttle until a new friction beds in, you will be fine.

Rod

I would do the whole clutch inc pilot, rear engine seal and front trans seal and possibly a new clutch fork if it show signs of wear. If it has a slave inside the bell housing that is an automatic exchange. I don't like going in twice, done once, done right and done.

How rusty is the skid plate / crossmember thing? I've seen people really fight with the thing to get the trans down on TJs and YJs.

Well, on my Yj, it was so rusty that the trans crossmember was bolted to the seat frame so it came out easy.

I would leave the external slave alone unless it blows. Carry a spare. But I have a few friends who have replaced the external slave on the AX15s and they have had nothing but problems.

Originally Posted by Miller88
How rusty is the skid plate / crossmember thing? I've seen people really fight with the thing to get the trans down on TJs and YJs.

Well, on my Yj, it was so rusty that the trans crossmember was bolted to the seat frame so it came out easy.

I would leave the external slave alone unless it blows. Carry a spare. But I have a few friends who have replaced the external slave on the AX15s and they have had nothing but problems.

No rust here in the desert

Originally Posted by meep
I'd be looking at the rear main seal too while in there. Senseless not to....

No reason to. The rear main is accessed after removing the oil pan. It's easily replaced with the transmission in place.

Went to Napa and bought a LUK complete clutch kit, Synchromesh for the trans and ATF+4 for the transfercase. Now I just gotta get a helper to help me get it out and back in.

I say dont change the clutch, you may get bored down the line and need a project

Originally Posted by nwjones18
I think you're kidding yourself to say any clutch with 178k is like new.. haha. Definitely put in a whole clutch kit while you have it apart. Its had a good run.
I had the clutch replaced on my Mazda at ~340k miles, due to oil contamination, not wear. The lining tickness was still within new spec.
Mechanic couldn't believe slippage was not due to lining wear, therefore failed to replace the main seal, or whatever was leaking. That was a worse mistake.

It's sold as a clutch kit and contains everything to do the job, disk,cover, throwout and pilot bearings. May want to check the fywheel to see if it needs resurfacing.. The disk can't be in great shape after those miles anyway. Do it all and good for another 170k.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back