self-driving cars and service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by pitzel
How many people will want to ride around in cars that have the smells and trash of others in them?

Millions of people do it today when riding on public transport.

What they will be doing for those self-driving cars is to have software installed that can not only detect an issue that needs resolving, but will know where to have the car go to get repaired.

I would imagine that sometime in the middle of the night, the software will detect a problem, then automatically drive itself to the proper repair shop. I assume the owner will get a text in the morning stating that the car took itself to the repair shop. After the repair is completed, the car will drive itself back to the owner. A text message will alert the owner that the car is back home, and a full detailed invoice for the cost of the repair will be emailed to the owner.

Easy-Peezy as the say!

Originally Posted by SeaJay
What they will be doing for those self-driving cars is to have software installed that can not only detect an issue that needs resolving, but will know where to have the car go to get repaired.

I would imagine that sometime in the middle of the night, the software will detect a problem, then automatically drive itself to the proper repair shop. I assume the owner will get a text in the morning stating that the car took itself to the repair shop. After the repair is completed, the car will drive itself back to the owner. A text message will alert the owner that the car is back home, and a full detailed invoice for the cost of the repair will be emailed to the owner.

Easy-Peezy as the say!

No vehicle of mine will ever rack up a repair bill without my say so - regardless of what it's diagnostics says.

Originally Posted by The_Eric

Easy-Peezy as the say!

No vehicle of mine will ever rack up a repair bill without my say so - regardless of what it's diagnostics says.

Yeah, it's a little ridiculous. Nobody does this now for anything. In contract disputes, you always either need verbal or written authorization for any charges. Otherwise they're not valid. Having autonomous vehicles doesn't change any of that.

Easy-Peezy as the say!

You can always say yes or no, just like your phone and computer OS update today or when you buy an app today. You'll likely need to enter a pass code as a signature to approve the job or not.

But still, what's there to service in a self driving car that isn't there in a regular car? You have sensors that may go bad that you need to swap out, and electric car is the same whether it is self driving or human driving. That's about it. You may have an option to turn off self driving and use the car as a human driving car, like you do with a car today with broken cruise control or laser cruise control. That's about it.

Originally Posted by PandaBear

Easy-Peezy as the say!

You can always say yes or no, just like your phone and computer OS update today or when you buy an app today. You'll likely need to enter a pass code as a signature to approve the job or not.

But still, what's there to service in a self driving car that isn't there in a regular car? You have sensors that may go bad that you need to swap out, and electric car is the same whether it is self driving or human driving. That's about it. You may have an option to turn off self driving and use the car as a human driving car, like you do with a car today with broken cruise control or laser cruise control. That's about it.

No. It's already started happening today. Don't mess with my discount! In a another few years insurance companies will push hard that you need the monitoring device in your car or else no insurance for you. Then they will start adding surcharges you for speeding or other unsafe activities. The government will be the only way to stop this. Eventually insurance rates for human driven miles will skyrocket. It won't be illegal to human drive a car but the exorbitant insurance rates will curtail it. Young folks today don't care about owning cars all that much. Their kids will care even less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Just like a Roomba returning home to charge

And just like the Roomba running over dog crap that looks like it was dropped by a crash of rhinos, the self driving car could do the same to a pedestrian.

No thanks.

Also, the Roomba maps your house and sends its results to a database.

will self driving cars open up people crashing into them on purpose. to get money?

Originally Posted by red7404
will self driving cars open up people crashing into them on purpose. to get money?

One thing is for certain - the dregs and low life's of society WILL find any possible way to exploit them for personal gain no matter how thoroughly the manufacturers, lawyers and lawmakers structure around them.

Originally Posted by Leo99
No. It's already started happening today. Don't mess with my discount! In a another few years insurance companies will push hard that you need the monitoring device in your car or else no insurance for you. Then they will start adding surcharges you for speeding or other unsafe activities. The government will be the only way to stop this. Eventually insurance rates for human driven miles will skyrocket. It won't be illegal to human drive a car but the exorbitant insurance rates will curtail it. Young folks today don't care about owning cars all that much. Their kids will care even less.

How ironic that government is the only way to stop this when the biggest problem in insurance industry is fraud and lawsuit of empty claims. People not able to tell who is at fault because they can find a lawyer to sue for 200k, that's what makes today's insurance cost so high. Your safe driving record is subsidizing my dangerous reckless driving, and me rallying everyone to ban monitoring device to encourage reckless driving, so every good and bad drivers pay the same, so there's no point being a good driver.

Young people don't care about owning car because it doesn't make sense, buying a $50k SUV that they only go to grocery store with once a week, with nobody to show off to, and then have to get stuck in traffic driving 35mph or pay $300 a month on toll, and then have to pay $200 a month on parking, then $1500 a year to subsidize bad drivers rallying to ban monitoring device and then subsidizing the lawyers who sue everyone they can after an accident. If I live in a downtown metro job hub I'd rather not own too many cars either.

If you think insurance company mandating monitoring device being bad, you are just not used to it. Insurance company already use your car type, your age, your zip code, your prior accident history, your gender, your education level, who else is in your household, etc to decide how much you have to pay. Using an OBDII device seems to be more fair than all the above IMO. We have this OBDII device discussion for almost 5 years already, and so far seems like only MetroMile is doing it, and so far it seems like they are not any cheaper, and so far it seems like they have only people with bad driving records who would have otherwise not gotten any insurance is on it. This is like the breath analyzer key unlock device for former drunk driver and remote disable device for bad credit borrower. If you want to complain about big brother telling you what not to do, protest your local speed traps and red light cameras.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by red7404

Tesla has camera on 247, so the owners can give to police to arrest the vandals. This is not that hard really, a dash cam can be as cheap as $20 each on Amazon. Once people know they can be arrested for these kind of things they tend not to try it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad

And just like the Roomba running over dog crap that looks like it was dropped by a crash of rhinos, the self driving car could do the same to a pedestrian.

No thanks.

People used to say the same thing about gasoline / diesel car driven by human is more dangerous than a man on a horse. It is faster, and there is no horse brain to go around a pedestrian when the rider was drunk or careless.

Guess what happen when people find out that it is cheaper to own a car than to keep a horse? Guess what happen when stores realize self checkout saves money? and guess what happen when UPS finds out self driving semis are cheaper than human driven semis?

No thanks.

Accident rate is expected to drop dramatically with self driving cars.
90% of accidents are due at least partially to driver error. Primarily negligence.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

No thanks.

90% of accidents are due at least partially to driver error. Primarily negligence.

I wonder if implementing a better/stricter driving education + better traffic synchronization and signaling would count more.
Kind of like the insurance companies forcing already the manufacturers to change the vehicles lighting to safer choices.

Self driving cars are here to stay, since all the majors are investing in them. But my opinion, is we are both close and far away from it.

I wonder what would be the impact in semis traffic since there are various roads, weather conditions and seasons + crazy city traffic.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Yet, I bet insurance companies will refuse to drop insurance rates on self driving cars citing some other questionable inherent risks that will require the premiums to remain high, so they can continue to receive their revenue streams.
smile.gif

And I'm sure they will also be quick to raise insurance premiums even higher for human drivers, citing that humans are more accident prone than self driving cars.
smile.gif

If they can screw you, they will. I don't think the insurance companies will have any incentive to reduce the premiums. With a handful insurance companies in the marketplace it is stupid to compete with a price war.

Insurance prices should go down as insurance company's costs go down.
But yes, they will get whatever the market will bear, just like they do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back