removing wheel arch molding

Status
Not open for further replies.
so my new civic came with wheel arch stick on molding. i want to remove it without messing up the paint. whats the best way? man they have a gall to charge $199 for it. LOL

Well, I'll tell ya wut!
I saw your other post and pictures with the new car and I love it and I'd leave on the black arch moldings.
But, if you must remove them, try some heat with something like a hair dryer and see if they'll peel away. Then clean the adhesive with brake clean. It won't hurt the paint.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Well, I'll tell ya wut!
I saw your other post and pictures with the new car and I love it and I'd leave on the black arch moldings.
But, if you must remove them, try some heat with something like a hair dryer and see if they'll peel away. Then clean the adhesive with brake clean. It won't hurt the paint.

yeah maybe i will hold off and see if it grows on me. i got all this overpriced BS for free . door edge guards , pinstriping and the wheel arch moldings. i can't believe some folks really pay for this stuff

I know, right?
Easy enough to install yourself if you wanted to later.

Once again, a good looking car so, congrats & best of luck.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 928
If they are on like emblems, try dental floss, making a back & forth motion and keep it to the arch side.

Yup, and since you are in Rochester NY, pick a warm day, perhaps warm it up some more with a hair dryer or heat gun. (You should always be able to hold your hand on the metal, don't make it too hot)
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Well, I'll tell ya wut!

I would not recommend removing the glue with brake clean. In the past I have done something similar and used wd40 that I had laying around, it worked great and a final wipe with a microfiber left it looking as if there were nothing ever there.

Originally Posted by 928
If they are on like emblems, try dental floss, making a back & forth motion and keep it to the arch side.

Good point, I've always found fishing line to be stronger and work very well

If you let it get warm, more than likely it will pull some of the double sided adhesive tape off when removing the molding. If not, that's ok. Grab yourself an eraser wheel, it goes on the end of your drill. It will remove the double sided tape and is completely safe for your paint. It will not burn, it will not discolor. Makes the job a breeze. I've used them on every vehicle I've owned to debage and or de-mold.

ABN Rubber Eraser Wheel 4in Pad & Adapter 1-Pack - Pinstripe, Adhesive Remover, Vinyl Decal, Graphics Removal Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018WG2XYE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_t.JrEb6G6VD7T

Originally Posted by Carbuff
Originally Posted by 928

Yup, and since you are in Rochester NY, pick a warm day, perhaps warm it up some more with a hair dryer or heat gun. (You should always be able to hold your hand on the metal, don't make it too hot)
crazy2.gif

I think you got the wrong member. I'm in ROC and 928 is in SAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back