Motorcraft 5W-50, 1742 miles, 2016 Shelby Mustang GT350R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone likes this report, but I'm curious about the titanium. I'd love y'alls' input on this UOA.

[Linked Image]

Looks like the oil is serving you well !
Are all the other changes MC as well and what filter have you been using ?

Thanks for your post !ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by kstanf150

Thanks! I've only used Motorcraft 5W-50 oil and the Motorcraft FL-2069-ST spin-on filter that the 2015-2017.5 GT350s use. Ford switched to a cartridge style filter in the middle of the 2017 model year due to the canister filter working loose when not properly torqued.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DrivinWest
Originally Posted by kstanf150

Thanks! I've only used Motorcraft 5W-50 oil and the Motorcraft FL-2069-ST spin-on filter that the 2015-2017.5 GT350s use. Ford switched to a cartridge style filter in the middle of the 2017 model year due to the canister filter working loose when not properly torqued.

Not sure if you would be interested but Ford Performance Parts came out with a kit to "update" the first run Voodoo engines to the later style with the cartridge filter M-6881-52CA

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Not sure if you would be interested but Ford Performance Parts came out with a kit to "update" the first run Voodoo engines to the later style with the cartridge filter M-6881-52CA

I did see that and gave it some thought, but I've figured out how to easily torque the canister filter to 16-18 ft-lbs and have plenty of track days without issue. It seems that provided it is torqued to spec there's no issue with the original design. That said, plenty of dealerships couldn't figure it out and ruined a lot of Voodoos as a result.

I do wonder how the cartridge filters compared to the canister. Per my UOA is seems that the canister does an excellent job.

After 1700 miles, any oil will yield a good report with a healthy engine..

Last edited:
Ha! Thanks for all the interest! I've had the GT350R since 7/1/2016. It's the only car I haven't gotten bored of after a year or two. Here's some pictures from Circuit of the Americas in Austin. I've also had it at Utah Motorsports Campus and MSR Houston.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ha! Thanks for all the interest! I've had the GT350R since 7/1/2016. It's the only car I haven't gotten bored of after a year or two. Here's some pictures from Circuit of the Americas in Austin. I've also had it at Utah Motorsports Campus and MSR Houston.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

SWEET !!!ðŸ

Titanium. Isn't the 5w50 Castrol Edge Pro / Supercar "infused with titanium" per their marketing lingo? Not sure this would show up on a UOA. Perhaps Castrol is Motocrafts' source.

Originally Posted by BBDartCA
Titanium. Isn't the 5w50 Castrol Edge Pro / Supercar "infused with titanium" per their marketing lingo? Not sure this would show up on a UOA. Perhaps Castrol is Motocrafts' source.

CP is (or was) the producer of Motorcraft oil, and they also use a Titanium-based additive package.

https://www.fleetowner.com/equipmen...s-reports-on-liquid-titaniumenhanced-oil

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Love it! Thanks for the pictures!
thumbsup2.gif

Beautiful ride, but with only 7K miles total and 1700 on the oil, what did you expect to see? Any oil will hold up under that OCI, unless your're living at the track doing HPDE daily...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by racin4ds
Beautiful ride, but with only 7K miles total and 1700 on the oil, what did you expect to see? Any oil will hold up under that OCI, unless your're living at the track doing HPDE daily...

These aren't Accords. I don't care about the oil, I care about the engine. The Voodoo 5.2L has had several examples burn oil so badly (e.g. a quart or two in 500 miles) that Ford has replace the engine (roughly a $30K cost if done outside of warranty). There are also UOAs that show a dramatic increase in metal that coincides with oil consumption. In at least a few cases the sudden increase in metal was a precursor to total engine failure.

Mine hasn't consumed excessive oil, and shows no sign of increased wear. That's what I want to find, but not necessarily what I'm certain I'd find given the issues that some 5.2Ls have had.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Sweet lookin' car!!!!! What oil is recommended for street use?

Thanks! Ford recommends Motorcraft 5W-50 for street and track. Both Lucas and Amsoil make oil that "meets or exceeds" Ford's specifications. Given how well the Motorcraft has performed I'm not interested in experimenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back