2018 Silverado 3500HD RLI + Archoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the 6.0L gas engine. I'm a little concerned about sodium. 6450 miles on this oil. Fairly easy driving. No heavy towing. Copper is an additive in RLI formulations as far as I know....

It's 4 quarts of RLI 10w30 and 2 quarts of 0w30 and 5 oz. Archoil. Royal Purple oil filter. Factory air filter still. Truck was sprayed during this OCI by a Krown installer (if that might explain things)

Here is a similar UOA
RLI UOA

Screenshot_20200212-185659~2.png

Last edited:
I have to ask why not just plain ole' Mobil 1 5W-30. That is what I run in my 2018 6.0 3500hd. I mean it is proven in the LS motors time and time again.

It is rare to have an oil related failure in one of these, let alone coolant in the oil. That means a blown head gasket. That is the only place for it to get in. The intake is dry.

I towed 7500 to 8000 lbs for 10 years(about 4000 miles a year) with my old 6.0 just plain ole' Mobil 1 10W-30. Had three good UOAs, never an issue.

It is the oil you are using. I have owned 6 different LS based vehicles and I have never seen a brew like that.

Copper is not a additive. Did you have some work done?

The sodium plus high potassium points to a coolant leak.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
I have to ask why not just plain ole' Mobil 1 5W-30. That is what I run in my 2018 6.0 3500hd. I mean it is proven in the LS motors time and time again.

It is rare to have an oil related failure in one of these, let alone coolant in the oil. That means a blown head gasket. That is the only place for it to get in. The intake is dry.

I towed 7500 to 8000 lbs for 10 years(about 4000 miles a year) with my old 6.0 just plain ole' Mobil 1 10W-30. Had three good UOAs, never an issue.

It is the oil you are using. I have owned 6 different LS based vehicles and I have never seen a brew like that.

There's nothing here indicating a problem. I didn't take the sample, the dealer tech did. It's salty here. Maybe he contaminated the sample. I don't know. But 146ppm of sodium isn't crazy high. Calm down man.

RLI is very good oil. My engine is just fine. Nothing is wrong. Sodium is 100 ppm high. It's not catastrophic

Originally Posted by PimTac
Copper is not a additive. Did you have some work done?

The sodium plus high potassium points to a coolant leak.

Yes, copper is an additive in RLI. Absolutely it is. Potassium is from the Archoil. Very predictable. The only thing "off" is that I should have expected 40ppm of sodium (normal) but I got 140ppm.

Last edited:
None of the current RLI formulations contain copper any longer. That is the old formula from 10+ years ago.

The new formula has a more traditional additive package plus Antimony. I just submitted a UOA tonight of RLI 10w40 in the diesel section of the forum. 3 ppm copper for 8400 miles. The previous UOA from 2019 was the same.

I believe the potassium is from the Archoil. That stuff does add some if I remember correctly however the sodium isn't.

You should never have mixed the RLI with any other additive. I believe I warned you about that in a previous thread you posted.

Why the witch's brew?

Try a short run of something for 500miles to flush it out then change it and use regular oil and get oil analysis after 3000miles or so.

PP or M1 etc.

Originally Posted by Phishin
Originally Posted by ls1mike

There's nothing here indicating a problem. I didn't take the sample, the dealer tech did. It's salty here. Maybe he contaminated the sample. I don't know. But 146ppm of sodium isn't crazy high. Calm down man.

RLI is very good oil. My engine is just fine. Nothing is wrong. Sodium is 100 ppm high. It's not catastrophic

I didn't say anything was wrong, just why all of that for a basic 6.0?

You said you were a little concerned. I wasn't. Just that LS engines are super easy on oil and don't require a brew per say.

Last edited:
I guess my first post wasn't clear.

It was meant to say there is nothing wrong, or you shouldn't be concerned.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
None of the current RLI formulations contain copper any longer. That is the old formula from 10+ years ago.

The oil I have is VERY old stock. I'm not sure when it was made....but it's very old. It's in the old white 1 gallon jugs and the lab is BARELY visible.
It's all 10w30 that I bought from Amazon last year for like $25/gallon.

RLI 10w30HD is loaded with copper

"This is the point at which RLI began to develop alternatives suitable for vegetable oils and turned to soluble copper compounds. They discovered that several types of copper compound could be used including copper dihydrocarbyl thio- or dithio-phosphates, copper dithiocarboamates, copper sulphonates, carboxylates, and phenates. It was important that the additive should be oil soluble for the oxidation inhibition to be effective. By putting amounts from 50 to 3000 part per million (ppm) in the oil a remarkable effect was noted."

"RLI then discovered that by reducing the copper level to around 500 ppm and adding 500 ppm using a second antimony oil soluble compound, wear was brought down below that seen with sunflower oil alone. Now with only 500 ppm copper and 500 ppm antimony the oil is not only oxidation resistant, but also wear inhibiting."

Here is a link to the article: RLI Article

Much better UOA results can be had with regular oil with no additives. Even Walmart supertech would work fine. Why make this weird combination of oil stuff!?

"This is the point at which RLI began to develop alternatives suitable for vegetable oils and turned to soluble copper compounds. They discovered that several types of copper compound could be used including copper dihydrocarbyl thio- or dithio-phosphates, copper dithiocarboamates, copper sulphonates, carboxylates, and phenates. It was important that the additive should be oil soluble for the oxidation inhibition to be effective. By putting amounts from 50 to 3000 part per million (ppm) in the oil a remarkable effect was noted."

"RLI then discovered that by reducing the copper level to around 500 ppm and adding 500 ppm using a second antimony oil soluble compound, wear was brought down below that seen with sunflower oil alone. Now with only 500 ppm copper and 500 ppm antimony the oil is not only oxidation resistant, but also wear inhibiting."

The oil I have is VERY old stock. I'm not sure when it was made....but it's very old. It's in the old white 1 gallon jugs and the lab is BARELY visible.

I'm the guy who posted the link for the 10w30 when it was clearanced by Amazon. I got a bunch of it for $16/gallon before they raised the price to $25.

The lot code on the white jugs was from 2016 stock. It's not as old as you think it is.

I'm the guy who posted the link for the 10w30 when it was clearanced by Amazon. I got a bunch of it for $16/gallon before they raised the price to $25.

The lot code on the white jugs was from 2016 stock. It's not as old as you think it is.

But does it have copper in it??

But does it have copper in it??

NO!!! None had any copper. My last sample was 3ppm which is a wear metal

Did you post the analytical results??

Did you post the analytical results??

Do you bother to read my comments?

I don't know if it makes any difference....but my 10w30 is a Heavy Duty oil according to RLI.. Your 10w40 you got results on is classified as PCMO by them. Maybe they have different additive packages?? I have an email and a call into them. I'll try to report back results later today when I hear from them.

According to RLI's website:
My oil: Bio-SynXtra HD Super High Performance Motor Oil SAE 10W30
Your oil: Bio-SynXtra SHP 10w40 PCMO

I don't know if it makes any difference....but my 10w30 is a Heavy Duty oil according to RLI.. Your 10w40 you got results on is classified as PCMO by them. Maybe they have different additive packages?? I have an email and a call into them. I'll try to report back results later today when I hear from them.

According to RLI's website:
My oil: Bio-SynXtra HD Super High Performance Motor Oil SAE 10W30
Your oil: Bio-SynXtra SHP 10w40 PCMO

No it's not. I could make a joke about your poor reading comprehension but I'm not going there.

Read my post with the last UOA again and maybe you'll figure it out.

This is an illuminating thread. There's a bunch of argument over who used what oil, and a BSlabs analysis is totally useless toward trying to determine what's happening.

Par for the course here? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back