Had a fun one today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the first time I've seen this, and I'm sure many of you have, but I had a fun one come in at end-of-business today:

2014 Toyota Avalon with 7,840 (yes, actual) miles on it. I triple checked the build date and mileage thinking I had goofed but nope, it's 6 years (actually almost 7, built 06/13) old and has barely done over 1k miles a year since new.

Anywho, it was dropped off with a complaint of a severe vibration any time the HVAC fan was turned on. I verified, and knew immediately what the problem was. I pulled the glove box and cabin, finding nothing but a chewed filter and tons of debris, then proceeded to pull the blower motor. I didn't take any pictures, nor does it really need to be displayed, but let's just say the poor guy didn't stand a chance.

I'm replacing the cabin filter and blower motor, not because the blower was bad but because who knows what nastiness the critter left and it's only $50. I'm also cleaning out the HVAC box as best I can and running a deodorizing service through the vents just in case. The mouse hadn't started to decay yet, so that's a plus!

Sometimes, I'm reminded why this industry is interesting. You just never know what you're going to see.

When I worked in autoglass I was vacuming up a shattered rear door glass on a vehicle burglary at some apartments near a large collage campus. I put the hose under the drivers seat and something got sucked up and lodged in the hose. Not an uncommon occurrence, I would usually just move the end of the hose to the exhaust port which normally would blow whatever was caught out...in this case in was a the customers panties...that blew 10 feet across the parking lot.
I grabbed a pair of channel locks to pick them up and placed them back where they came from.

Originally Posted by Soggydog
When I worked in autoglass I was vacuming up a shattered rear door glass on a vehicle burglary at some apartments near a large collage campus. I put the hose under the drivers seat and something got sucked up and lodged in the hose. Not an uncommon occurrence, I would usually just move the end of the hose to the exhaust port which normally would blow whatever was caught out...in this case in was a the customers panties...that blew 10 feet across the parking lot.
I grabbed a pair of channel locks to pick them up and placed them back where they came from.

This is both hilarious, and rings true. The amount of times at work that I've found a customer's "intimates" while trying to remove a spare, fold down a seat, etc. etc. is just astonishing. Wouldn't you think they'd at least put THAT away before dropping off the car?

That's not even the worst. Honestly, the amount of drugs and paraphernalia I see that customers just leave out in the open is astonishing. Half smoked blunts, bags of pot, scales, etc. etc.

I didn't experience this one personally, but I was told a story by our master tech about a guy who dropped his car off for an alignment and left his mirrored glass on the passenger seat, complete with several lines all ready to go on it. The alignment tech hopped in, looked, and got right back out. The manager was alerted, the customer was asked nicely to remove his... items (which he promptly did), and the alignment was performed. Some people....

I just died a little. Gold!

That's the right way to do it. Don't ask, don't tell. You don't know if it belongs to the customer who drop off the car, or the companion, or not. Even mentioning that there may be something there can cause a chaos that get you guys into the cross fire.

Leave it where it was, and if it was discovered, it is not your fault.

I refused to work on a nurse's Camry as she had opened needles on the seat. Service writer thought I was being stupid so he reassigned it and that tech removed so many needles that he got a box for customer. Not me, not going to get stuck and best part she gave me a negative rating. She does home health and I even refused her when my dad was sick.(Nasty)

Originally Posted by PandaBear

That's the right way to do it. Don't ask, don't tell. You don't know if it belongs to the customer who drop off the car, or the companion, or not. Even mentioning that there may be something there can cause a chaos that get you guys into the cross fire.

Leave it where it was, and if it was discovered, it is not your fault.

On that note...reminds me of the scene from "That 70's Show" when Midge left something behind in Eric's car...
crackmeup2.gif

It's more fun as a tow operator running into the vices then having to tell the shop or lot attendant of what's in the vehicle.

My favorite was a 2016 Subaru Outback that the owner basically used the drivers side of the interior as an ashtray; interior was only black on that side, rest was a nice cream. I told the service advisor, he didn't listen to me but the service manager did, he took a look and says to me "We will charge him for cleaning or no service.."

Originally Posted by KE7JFF
It's more fun as a tow operator running into the vices then having to tell the shop or lot attendant of what's in the vehicle.

My favorite was a 2016 Subaru Outback that the owner basically used the drivers side of the interior as an ashtray; interior was only black on that side, rest was a nice cream. I told the service advisor, he didn't listen to me but the service manager did, he took a look and says to me "We will charge him for cleaning or no service.."

I wish I could do that. I have two customers that stand out, but it's hoarding instead of smoking. One has a Chevy Avalanche that's so packed that you can't see out the side or back widows, nor can you use the center console (for storage or armrest). The other has a B5 Passat wagon that's the same way, except her suspension sags due to the weight. They'll both drop thousands on these old buckets, and I'm convinced it's because they don't want to face the issue.

I ran into a 14 Optima that had a airbag wiring harness extension. It is/was a recall a few years ago. To perform this recall the center console must be removed. When I lifted the center console lid I was bit shocked and then could not stop laughing. The owner had placed her personal rear end pleasure beads and Magnum male protective sleeves , right there for easy access.

These stories made me remember this...

Long time ago, I arrive at a customer site to service a 500kW Cat generator set. The guy on site is all upset and not himself. I had seen him quarterly for about three years at this point, so I knew something wasn't right. After I was there for about thirty minutes, he told me what was up. His wife's car had broken down so she had his car that day. He was worried that if his wife for any reason got a flat tire, she would go into the trunk for the spare. I asked Yeah, so?
He replied, I keep my girlfriend's di**os back there. If she finds them, I'm in trouble. First, I said well, how big are they? Maybe she won't see them. According to him, they were very big. Then I said do you get flats often? Is this really a concern?
Then I said let me see a picture of your wife. I took one look and said you have nothing to worry about. That chick isn't changing any tires. Typical Brooklyn girl. Perfect hair and nails. If I remember right, nothing ever came of it. What a dope.

To the OP:
If finding a masticated mouse in a ventilation system loans to making the automotive industry interesting I suggest a stint in the food industry.

Originally Posted by 14Accent

This is both hilarious, and rings true. The amount of times at work that I've found a customer's "intimates" while trying to remove a spare, fold down a seat, etc. etc. is just astonishing. Wouldn't you think they'd at least put THAT away before dropping off the car?

Actually it might be more innocuous than that. I've dated a few women who couldn't figure out things that, err, happen on a regular schedule, and got caught unawares. As a result I'm not shocked that might wife keeps a set of "emergency" supplies stashed in her car, just in case. I guess both sexes have a need to keep tactical supplies on hand.

Now some of the stuff you guys are finding...
crazy2.gif

I was putting a window regulator in one time and found a nude polaroid of the the owner inside the door itself. I'm guessing that she got it back from an ex and was attempting to put it in the panel pocket and missed. I slipped it into the door pocket when the job was done.

I removed a live possum from an engine compartment one time as well.

While replacing a cabin filter in a newer Rav4 for a local pizza delivery
man I found a large, and well used, d!ldo.
It's been gloves on for me since that time.
He's a nice guy. Bet he is happy to accept tips.

Originally Posted by Ursatdx

Maybe pizza delivery is only a cover for his side job.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Originally Posted by Ursatdx

Maybe pizza delivery is only a cover for his side job.

Now one would have to be concerned pizza wasn't part of the act.

I've seen educational movies documenting what pizza boys do during a call.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 14Accent

I wish I could do that. I have two customers that stand out, but it's hoarding instead of smoking. One has a Chevy Avalanche that's so packed that you can't see out the side or back widows, nor can you use the center console (for storage or armrest). The other has a B5 Passat wagon that's the same way, except her suspension sags due to the weight. They'll both drop thousands on these old buckets, and I'm convinced it's because they don't want to face the issue.

Our shop has refused one vehicle due to a roach infestation, and on another the owner was asked to remove some of the trash before service, which they did.

The worst one I can remember here was a couple year old Silverado that came in for an SRS warning light. It didn't take long for the tech to figure out the problem...large amounts of urine in the seat. The owner of the truck was elderly, and apparently was frequently not able to hold it while driving. He would just go in the seat, and not surprisingly the electronics did not like that. I can't remember what all got replaced, but the truck did get repaired. Lots of gloves were used.

When I worked at an auction, filthy and paraphernalia laden cars were pretty common. I remember a Kia Rio that was so packed with trash that we completely filled 2-3 large Brute trash cans (probably 44-55 gallon size), a Buick Rendezvous with a pyramid of cigarette ash that filled the lower pass thru console, a broken meth pipe in a couple year old Town & Country, a Cadillac Deville with a bunch of empty codeine cough syrup bottles and clothing that might be associated with a certain line of illegal work, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back