Good oil filter sockets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
$10 on craigslist. Is this a good size layout? 36, 32, and 27mm

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Those are for cartridge filter caps 32mm is a common one, they are low profile to get in tight spots where a regular depth socket may have problems.
They do not need to be high strength as torque is minimal, if you need them $10 is a good deal

They have flank drive, seems everything does now. Those are axle socket sizes, spin on oil filters are much bigger.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
They have flank drive, seems everything does now. Those are axle socket sizes, spin on oil filters are much bigger.
That's not flank drive, and the patent ran out or snappy didn't renew it or something.

Only old sockets have 90* corners now.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
So they won't work on regular spin on filters?

No they look like the inside of a socket to fit a cartridge filter cap. For spin on filters you want an oil filter cap wrench.

Thanks, I will pass on them then. Glad I asked and saved me a trip.

IIRC the 32 is the size for the GM 2.4L (equinox etc)

As mentioned they are for removing the lid on cartridge style oil filters.. (not spin-on filters)

The difference is on cartridge filters you just replace the element and o-ring(s)

The FCA Pentastar engine is another very common engine that uses cartridge style filter.

Normal sockets may not work as they might fit on the housing(lid) but there is no clearance to loosen it on some applications.

the 2013 equinox has stuff crammed 3/4 the way around it.. and above it. definitely works better with the low profile socket and 3/8 drive.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
That's not flank drive, and the patent ran out or snappy didn't renew it or something.

They are flank drive, look closer. Good to do that beforehand. Every $5 socket set now has flank drive and the patent did run out.
I happened to be shopping for axle sockets and these are the sizes I see in the sets. I ended up just buying the 36mm I need from HD, Lisle for $11 something plus tax.

I'm pretty sure non-medical patents expire after 17 years or some similar time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back