Cooper Discoverer HT3 LTR (kinda)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used these tires on my F250 now for over 55,000 miles. LT275/60R20

I use a highway tread on my truck because 95% of my driving is pavement, the other 5% is mixed usually gravel road.

These tires have in my opinion held up well to the (non?)abuse I give. I tow a lot if that matters.

2 tires have had punctures that were repaired with patches, one was at around 10k of use and the other was around 40k. Both were nails.

Dry traction -- I will give these an 8 out of 10. For me that is a good number, they stop well and corner well (like hard turns you do when jacking a trailer)
Noise -- 7 out of 10 Initially these tires were of average noise and not bothersome at all. Now that they are worn they have grown a bit noisier.
Wet Traction -- 5/6 out of 10. Not the best wet tire. For me this is one of the most important categories and ultimately why I will not buy these again. They slip on painted pavement, such as painted crosswalks and also tend to lose grip on turns when accelerating hard to get into traffic
Off Road -- 3 out of 10. Do not ever buy these if you have any off road desires. I guess that is to be expected considering the tire design. The are bad in mud, they are really bad in loose dirt and terrible on wet grass.

These tires started at 14/32 I believe. There is some chunking of the trad in the front tires. I don't rotate very often and the front's have the typical Ford outer edge wear. Defender LTX going on tomorrow, I am not usually a Michelin fan but the P4S on my other car have me trying these. Flawed logic I know.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Defender LTX have probably the highest owner satisfaction out there. I have them on 2 cars, a Venza and a Tundra. Tundra has the Sam's Club Radial X LT label (same tire). They will drive like a dream compared to the Cooper light truck tire. Great in wet weather. Good in snow course never an issue for your Florida car. Hunks of rubber coming off yours looks scary. You got good wear out of yours though. Plenty of tread left.

Originally Posted by wdn
The Defender LTX have probably the highest owner satisfaction out there. I have them on 2 cars, a Venza and a Tundra. Tundra has the Sam's Club Radial X LT label (same tire). They will drive like a dream compared to the Cooper light truck tire. Great in wet weather. Good in snow course never an issue for your Florida car. Hunks of rubber coming off yours looks scary. You got good wear out of yours though. Plenty of tread left.

There it is....2nd post in on a Cooper thread and the "M" word is mentioned. Unbelievable........

You would think guys get paid for these posts or something..................

The "M" word was actually mentioned in the original post, as that's what BerrCan is buying to replace these.

Thanks for the detailed post with excellent photos BeerCan! The minor tread "cutting/chipping" is from gravel and nothing to be worried about. You should see what tires can look like when they are run mostly on gravel roads, on ranches and in oil field service, for example.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by wdn

There it is....2nd post in on a Cooper thread and the "M" word is mentioned. Unbelievable........

Do you get paid for the constant anti-Michelin spin?

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by wdn

OP said " Defender LTX going on tomorrow, ". I am replying to OP's own choice of new tires. Of course in typical Bob fashion there is usually always some surly blowhard leaping in with some bizarre theory or other.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by wdn

Do you get paid for the constant anti-Michelin spin?

Yup, we should ask him to point on the doll where Michelin touched him
smirk.gif
I'd understand if the OP didn't mention the brand, but sweet Jesus, it was in the OP, somebody relating their experience with the tires he bought to replace these is hardly out of line.

New tires are on. Costco does such a crappy job cleaning up the tires 🥴 , not that my wheels were that clean.

20 miles in all is well. I should have 50k on these in about 18 months LoL. I will review them then unless of course something significant happens earlier.

Originally Posted by Stewart Fan
I like the HT3s. I ran a set on my 11,000lb fifth wheel for a few seasons before I sold it.

I mean honestly I probably could get another 15-20K out of these. Overall I like the tire, my problem is the wet. I think the problem with the wet was when I was unloaded or not towing. To be fair, that can be a tough situation for a LT tire. if I was loaded +75% of the time I would consider these again.

I could see these tires on those overloaded white work trucks I always see around here, they would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back