Large O-ring for element style filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car takes an element style oil filter (2007 Volvo V70). The oil filters always come with a large O-ring for the housing.

A RockAuto order included 2 Denso 150-3049 filters both of which had the wrong size O-ring.

The order was placed last year so RA acknowledged the problem but wouldn't do anything for me.

Denso said they couldn't do anything for me.

Does anyone know where to get the large O-rings?

I've looked on my usual Volvo sources: www.ipdusa.com www.fcpeuro.com www.tascaparts.com and can't find it separately.

My recommendation would be to call a dealer and ask if they have it as a separate part.

If they don't, and they may not, I've used Mahle filters with good results in my Volvos. $50 for ten from IPD. At that price, it may be cheaper to buy another filter than to buy just the o-ring... and while tossing a perfectly good filter for want of an o-ring would irritate me, too, in the long run it's probably cheaper...

If it looked OK , I would re-use the old O-Ring .

Our Sonic has a canister filter & an O-Ring for the plastic filter cap . Sounds similar .

Check the price of filters from rockauto.com . I order them 6 - 12 at a time to spread out the cost of freight .

I save the old O-Rings ( on our Sonic ) in case I get a filter w/o one .

These O-rings are typically sold as part of a kit with the cartridge filter. I would just eat the cost and buy a new filter kit. Re-using the O-ring is ill advised if it has been in service for the factory OCI. Do you feel lucky?

31.gif

Use Mann, Mahle, or Hengst. Rock Auto carries all three for your Volvo
smile.gif

If your local dealer is typical, they don't take the extra time to install new o-rings, and only replace the drain plug washer if they drop it and the replacement is easier to grab.

It's not that big of a deal to re-use the old one. There are similar seals throughout the engine that are expected to last for decades. A reasonable compromise is replacing the seal every second oil change, which might mean buying a fresh kit for your next change.

Originally Posted by djb
If your local dealer is typical, they don't take the extra time to install new o-rings, and only replace the drain plug washer if they drop it and the replacement is easier to grab.

It's not that big of a deal to re-use the old one. There are similar seals throughout the engine that are expected to last for decades. A reasonable compromise is replacing the seal every second oil change, which might mean buying a fresh kit for your next change.

I will have to respectfully disagree with its no big deal to re use old seal on cartridge filter. Saw firsthand some "O" ring seals that were flat like instead of round and smooth at work more times than I care. If the cartridge includes a new o ring seal use it

Last edited:
You can also cut and splice O rings! Super glue does a wonderful job of joining the carefully cut ends, Cut them on an angle with a sharp razor, drop of super glue, done! In an emergency of course, most of the previous answers would be my first choice.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Have to say the o-ring on the RAV cartridge filter comes out flattened on 10k OCIs. I'd be hesitant to use it again.

Very good point and exactly what I meant to say
thumbsup2.gif

The 2 filters won't break my budget. It is annoying though. I just thought I'd ask.

To JohnG: Very funny the suggestion of cutting, splicing and super gluing an O-ring was.

We all know the thing to do is wrap the groove with plumber's valve stem packing then coat it with Permatex Ultra Black.

Then, after cleaning and degreasing, coat the filter's bore with silicone sealer and run it in as normal.......then sell the car.

Flip the oring around and reuse it. Most likely wont leak, if it does - change the filter and o-ring to a new one. Cartridge filters are usually pretty easy to swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back