2018-19 Passat. Valvoline EU recommendations. 0W20 is nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just buy the Castrol at the dealer or get it online. Mobil has a VW 508 oil as do several other manufacturers. I have a 2019 Passat with the 2 liter gasser and I only use the Castrol 508 oil 0W-20.

I'm not sure Buddak has anything to do with it,

0W20 ACEA A1 B1, 508 00/509 00 ( also a 2.0L Porsche C20 spec.)

The French Motul I bought for my VW 1.4t was just "OK"
a typical majority PAO that needed something
else with it before it worked well.
I added some Magnatec 5W30 with stunning results.

Absolutely transformational. No Kidding.

There is no reason why a M1 EP or Castrol Edge Extended Performance wouldn't do the trick.

But, for Warranty and that pesky tracer dye that VAG specs....

I guess i assumed the Budack Cycle was the reason for the spec and wondered if the EU Passat used this technology as well. I have no issue with it running 0W-20 VW508.00 especially since i've seen a few UOAs that show it holds up just fine.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

There is no reason why a M1 EP or Castrol Edge Extended Performance wouldn't do the trick.

But, for Warranty and that pesky tracer dye that VAG specs....

Plausible indeed.

if an oil is REQUIRED it must be furnished FREE otherwise just meet the spec!! 200 thou on my 2001 modified 1.8T 300 ft tq + 275 hp using real synthetic 10-30 oils, not todays fake inferior but cheaper offerings

Originally Posted by benjy
if an oil is REQUIRED it must be furnished FREE otherwise just meet the spec!! 200 thou on my 2001 modified 1.8T 300 ft tq + 275 hp using real synthetic 10-30 oils, not todays fake inferior but cheaper offerings

They don't require an oil brand. They require an oil weight/spec. Lack of green dye doesn't mean voided warranty, but instead indicates a reason to test the oil for lubricant related warranty repairs.

...and having the green dye is part of that VW spec - if it doesn't have it - it doesn't meet the spec.

Originally Posted by benjy

That's like arguing a car has 17" wheels but you only want to pay for 15" tires, so they should provide the tires for free.

There is no reason why M1 EP or Castrol Edge Extended Performance wouldn't do the trick.

But, for Warranty and that pesky tracer dye that VAG specs ...

Or you could just get M1 0w20 ESP. It includes that pesky green dye ...

Liqui Moly, Top Tech 6200, 0W-20...

5 liters, 20238

https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/engine,oil,++++++++++++++++sae+0w-20,1001839

Originally Posted by wemay
https://valvoline-eu.lubricantadvisor.com/eng/Recommendation/bae17c63b24de02c8054a6259b441c94

Only 5w30, 5w40 and 0w40. Some carrying aces C3. Granted, I couldn't find an engine that matched the 174hp output.

Is Budack only a North American thing?

99% of engines in the EU since 2009 are specd for C3. It is A3 equivalent, just lower SAPS.
0W20 is American thing mostly. EU manufacturers are experimenting with it in EU for some time, but it is not gaining traction, mostly since CAFE does not exists in EU. EU calculates emission requirements differently and lighter oils are really no advantage in that case. So, yes, EA888 are still specd. for VW 504.00/507.00 and yes, you could use it in your engine.

Please somebody trash me for putting 5W30 Magnatec on top of a sump of
Motul Specific 508 00 !

Terrible idea. Not part of the spec. How dare you?!

I'd go Motul Specific as well out of fanboy-ism.

Originally Posted by edyvw
https://valvoline-eu.lubricantadvisor.com/eng/Recommendation/bae17c63b24de02c8054a6259b441c94

Only 5w30, 5w40 and 0w40. Some carrying aces C3. Granted, I couldn't find an engine that matched the 174hp output.

99% of engines in the EU since 2009 are specd for C3. It is A3 equivalent, just lower SAPS.
0W20 is American thing mostly. EU manufacturers are experimenting with it in EU for some time, but it is not gaining traction, mostly since CAFE does not exists in EU. EU calculates emission requirements differently and lighter oils are really no advantage in that case. So, yes, EA888 are still specd. for VW 504.00/507.00 and yes, you could use it in your engine.

We've beaten this horse a few times. The manual is pretty strict with respect to 508.00 being the oil used. Other 0W-20s and/or other VW spec'd oils can be used for top-up, but only half a quart.

Originally Posted by edyvw

We've beaten this horse a few times. The manual is pretty strict with respect to 508.00 being the oil used. Other 0W-20s and/or other VW spec'd oils can be used for top-up, but only half a quart.

Then why question? Why you actually researching it?
Obviously if you use VW504.00/507.00 in combination with North American air will make engine explode.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Is the Euro Passat even the same car we get?

No. We get two generations old platform.
Engine (EA888) is same derivative.

The question was if European VWs used the Budack cycle. And if not, might that be the reason they still recommend Xw20 or Xw40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back