2019 Toyota Highlander More Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a rented vehicle. Send them the bill for the coolant and whatever is allowed in your lease and ask them for a different vehicle. I suspect the repairing dealer has boat payments. There are a lot of parts on the list. They do cheat.

like the old gray mare , toyotas are NOT what they used to be, although people still over pay for their former glory!!!

No way a properly repaired engine should take a gallon. They should have purged and/or vacuum-filled it, just like the factory. Nobody expects to add coolant to a new car, that cooling system is properly filled and the new engine isn't leaking coolant.

They either did a terrible job, or it's leaking coolant into the combustion chamber and burning it. A competent mechanic will check for exhaust gases in the coolant (my guess, that test will come back positive, and you need, at the minimum, new head gaskets).

If it's leased, do you have to keep adding coolant? Isn't that task a part of the repair?

What would happen if you simply drove the car, as you should be able?

When the engine overheats/blows up from a lack of coolant, would they fix it again?

Document your calls and visits to the dealer on your own. Also if possible get a case going at the dealer that clearly states the problem is loss of coolant. If you have to pay diagnostic fee, so be it.

Once that is done stop adding coolant. They should not have any trouble diagnosing an overheated engine and with documented proof that loss of coolant was reported and ignored, the will not have any basis of denying that repair.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
Good thing it's leased! How long is the lease? Any way they can exchange the vehicle?

3 year lease.

Originally Posted by Mathew_Boss
Originally Posted by carviewsonic
Good thing it's leased! How long is the lease? Any way they can exchange the vehicle?

3 year lease.

Personally I would get on the phone with Toyota NA and try to negotiate for a new vehicle while also dumping the vehicle off at the dealer just to keep the "clock ticking" on the lemon law.

question for OP

how did you know it was losing coolant in the first place? people rarely check coolant levels themselves if at all.

did it display a low coolant warning on the dash?

did it trip a check engine light?

was the vehicle overheating?

did you smell coolant from inside/outside the vehicle?

Last edited:
Warranty engine replacements in a dealership environment seem to be problematic. This is not work techs do very often, and with warranty work they don't usually get paid enough to take their time and do a thorough A+ job.

I would be demanding a DIFFERENT vehicle. Let Toyota keep it and use it as a demo, or shuttle, or sell it with that new engine that is working so well ... I know I wouldn't touch a new car with a replacement engine.

Originally Posted by discountdon
question for OP

how did you know it was losing coolant in the first place? people rarely check coolant levels themselves if at all.

did it display a low coolant warning on the dash?

did it trip a check engine light?

was the vehicle overheating?

did you smell coolant from inside/outside the vehicle?

I check coolant, oil, tire pressure, tread depth and top off washer fluid every time I get gas or once a week. I'm very meticulous with maintenance. The Army taught me to PMCS a vehicle before every trip. I used to teach the class on how to check vehicles. I dont feel every morning is necessary except in combat so I do every Saturday morning is my alone in the garage time.

So much for the theory that only Ford stealerships are greedy & incompetent! You need to get that thing to the dealer ASAP, make them give you a loaner, and inform Toyota in writing that they either fix it, buy it back, or you'll have a Lemon Law attorney make them do it! There's law firms here in OH that specialize in Lemon Law buyback cases.

If I were you, I would do everything possible to get out from under that lease. The car is a lemon and will never be right. You already own a FCA product and I assume it's treating you well. Get rid of the Toyota and get you a Dodge Durango or Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 Pentastar.

Last edited:
Not true. Coolant level just as important as engine oil level and any other fluid in the car that has a way to measure it's level. Weekly ALL fluids check for both of my hondas (despite them being fairly new at 3 and 4yrs old)

Originally Posted by MParr
If I were you, I would do everything possible to get out from under that lease. The car is a lemon and will never be right. You already own a FCA product and I assume it's treating you well. Get rid of the Toyota and get you a Dodge Durango or Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 Pentastar.

I was very impressed with durango GT i've driven last month as a rental in miamu. Solid SUV

Are you filling the coolant reservoir because it is completely empty or just lower than the "low" level? My 4Runner would always end up a little below the line and I would fill to the full line only to have to add more in a few weeks. I finally realized it likes to hover just below the low level and haven't needed to add any in between drain and fills.
Did you say you were taking it to a GM dealer?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
So much for the theory that only Ford stealerships are greedy & incompetent!

Who's said that? You can find greed and incompetence anywhere.

They had to put a new driveshaft in a new car and a $7000 short block? The whole engine was taken apart and reassembled. Normally no one would have lifted the hood on this thing for a long time due to 2 years free maintenance. Bashing Toyota for this most unusual story is way out there. This is no common occurrence.

Originally Posted by 1000MPH
Are you filling the coolant reservoir because it is completely empty or just lower than the "low" level? My 4Runner would always end up a little below the line and I would fill to the full line only to have to add more in a few weeks. I finally realized it likes to hover just below the low level and haven't needed to add any in between drain and fills.
Did you say you were taking it to a GM dealer?

I let it get basically completely empty before each fill. If you check every day when my wife is done working you can see a noticeable level drop.

We had a 2011 Durango. traded it at 172k miles. We got this Toyota because they are generally considered the most reliable and wanted a long term car not to mention it rides so smooth over imperfect roads. I put Bilstein struts on our old Durango and it never road anything close to this. We like it and I'm sure most Toyota products are good. This is our first and the whole process has been pretty terrible all around. I would love it if they switched it out for another new one but it doesn't fall under lemon law yet.

In Nebraska, once the vehicle has been out of service for a total of 40 days or a repair has been attempted 4 times, they must lemon law it. Keep all of that in mind while trying to get it fixed. https://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Documents/BBBAutoLine/NE-LLsummary.pdf

A good idea is to let Toyota know that you're keeping track of the total number of days it has been out of service and what your state law is.

Edit: I see someone has already posted the lemon law criteria earlier, but just keep track of the days and repair attempts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back