Bought a unicorn today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Rear gear is 3.07. That is likely one "tall" gear driving kind of car. To be sure I like tall first gears (rather than granny gears in first) - but really tall drive-action in the upper gears... Ida know.... Let us know your impressions. I too have a quite rare '17 Mazda6 6 speed manual. Granny gear 1st... sometimes I start in 2nd (i.e. ona downgradient).

I like tall gears for quiet and efficient cruising at highway speeds.

Took my wife 3 years to find the new '17 Mazda 6 with the M6. Dealerships in Vegas never had them. Finally got a motivated salesman who found a total of 3 West of the Mississippi, and got us one from California.
At 5k a year miles, I'm hoping it lasts for the 25 years or so we have left on our own frames since it can't be replaced.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
CT8 said:
My cars both have manual transmissions, a sort of built in theft protection. Took a bit of effort but I eventually found them. When they go, what can I replace them with?

Isn't the answer right in this thread? That's a 2008 Mercedes C300 Sports RWD model. Last year was 2011.

If you're worried about theft protection, it's time to move to a better neighborhood. Haven't worried about theft in a long time and I have two E classes. That's what insurance is for.

Originally Posted by CT8
Unicorn? Not many buyers like manual transmissions these day.

According to book, it's used value is about $400 more over the automatic although the automatic was a few thousand more when it was new. So there is some demand for them used, but not as much when new. They were discontinued after 2011 due to low demand.

Mazda stopped making Mazda6 manuals. Apparently no-one bought them. But then you couldn't buy one because the dealers didn't bring them in.
...and they didn't bring them in because so few people wanted them. The automakers and the dealers know what sell and manuals ain't one of them. Will they sell eventually ? Sure but dealers aren't in business to store cars.

Originally Posted by atikovi
It has the AMG sport package and the pano roof. 40,000 miles. Pics after I get it home in a week or two.

Do you have to wait for the guy in the million dollar house to go to work?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Nice Benz.

Those cars are out of my budget.

You can't afford 5-6k? Retail is a tad over 8k. If it had regular miles, it wouldn't get a 2k mileage bonus so you could probably find one with regular miles in the 4-6k range.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Do you have to wait for the guy in the million dollar house to go to work?
grin2.gif

Probably not, it's a public street. Probably just has to wait for a sunny day.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
You can't afford 5-6k? Retail is a tad over 8k. If it had regular miles, it wouldn't get a 2k mileage bonus so you could probably find one with regular miles in the 4-6k range.

Not sure where you get those prices but I'm expecting at least as much as this higher mileage one sold on Ebay for: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Merce...rue&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Wolf359

Not sure where you get those prices but I'm expecting at least as much as this higher mileage one sold on Ebay for: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Merce...rue&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Nadaguide. But they might be off on the manual part of it. Motortrend also gives some prices in the same range.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Rear gear is 3.07. That is likely one "tall" gear driving kind of car. To be sure I like tall first gears (rather than granny gears in first) - but really tall drive-action in the upper gears... Ida know.... Let us know your impressions. I too have a quite rare '17 Mazda6 6 speed manual. Granny gear 1st... sometimes I start in 2nd (i.e. ona downgradient).

Funny that you and another member feel this way about your manual Mazda 6's.

A good friend of mine was in the market for a new car a couple years ago. She grew up on manual transmissions, and always drove manual BMW's of some sort from 17 through her early 20's (keep in mind this is a female, circa 2012 and beyond. Almost a unicorn, like the OP's car). She tried for months to find a manual Mazda6, and finally managed to source one out of SD I believe, I know it had to be shipped in. It's been a fantastic car for her, having made many trips between MN and ME and back. I've driven it many times, and truly enjoy it each outing.

*I hope the female manual driver comment doesn't offend anyone. I hardly know any males in their 20's that can drive a manual, let alone females. Just going on a small sample size of my demographic.*

My wife is hard on cars. We had a RAV4 that held up to absolute abuse. I wanted its replacement (it was totalled by a hit and run driver while parked) to be a Camry because of this.
I would have had better luck convincing her to let me take on a couple more wives than to make her accept a car with an automatic.
I don't have a problem with the first gear with the '17 Mazda 6, but the ratio between the gears is too tight, especially between 5th and 6th. Not much difference at all between those two gears. I would prefer a taller 6th.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Mazda stopped making Mazda6 manuals. Apparently no-one bought them. But then you couldn't buy one because the dealers didn't bring them in.
...and they didn't bring them in because so few people wanted them. The automakers and the dealers know what sell and manuals ain't one of them. Will they sell eventually ? Sure but dealers aren't in business to store cars.

A dude I work with wanted a manual-shift Frontier. The dealer refused to order one unless he paid for it (at full sticker price, no discounts) first, and he was told it would take about a month.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

A dude I work with wanted a manual-shift Frontier. The dealer refused to order one unless he paid for it (at full sticker price, no discounts) first, and he was told it would take about a month.

Yeah kinda crazy.

I stopped at a local Jeep dealership 2 years ago just to look at the new Wranglers (JKs at the time) on the lot. Sales guy came running outside of course, and I sat in a 2-door they had on the lot. I asked if I could test drive one with the 6 speed manual (4 or 2 door) and he said they didn't have any manuals on the lot, since most people prefer automatics.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Cool! Love manual transmissions!

What engine is this?

Specs? HP? Torque? Top speed?

Lets see more photos.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15151297/2008-mercedes-benz-c-class-first-drive-review/

Specifications

ESTIMATED BASE PRICE: $35,000-$40,000

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 24-valve 3.0-liter V-6, 228 hp, 221 lb-ft; DOHC 24-valve 3.5-liter V-6, 268 hp, 258 lb-ft

TRANSMISSION: 7-speed automatic with manumatic shifting, 6-speed manual

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 108.7 in Length: 180.4 in
Width: 69.7 in Height: 56.9-57.0 in
Curb weight: 3400-3600 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):

Zero to 62 mph: 6.4-7.3 sec
Top speed (governor limited): 155 mph

PROJECTED FUEL ECONOMY (C/D EST):
2008 EPA city driving: 17-19 mpg
2008 EPA highway driving: 22-27 mpg

Last edited: