2019 Toyota Highlander More Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got our 2019 Highlander new as a lease October 23rd 2019. December 18th I brought it in at 2,700 miles for engine knock and metal in oil. We got it back January 7th after a short block replacement, a gasket kit, and a few extra gaskets. I have been having to add coolant ever since.

I took it to the dealer we bought it from for service Monday and was refused service because another dealer replaced the engine. They felt the other dealer was liable for the repair.

They said it wasnt leaking externally and it could be an air bubble in the system slowly working it's way out.

I have added about a gallon of coolant since getting it back in January. I just dropped it off at the dealer that did the engine replacement this morning. The oil is still clear and oil level is not rising. Is it possibly burning the coolant? It's a 3.5L V6 LE Plus and currently has 3,900 miles on the odometer.

Here are all the parts replaced so far under warranty.

Screenshot_20200212-104413_Toyota Owners.jpg

Screenshot_20200212-104418_Toyota Owners.jpg

Screenshot_20200212-104423_Toyota Owners.jpg

the air bubble scenario maybe plausible... mechanics usually go through a procedure of running the engine with it's HVAC system on full blast high heat to have coolant flow through the heater core until operating temperature and then top off coolant and level it's overflow tank.

they have an arsenal of professional tools to figure it out, ie. pressure testers, UV leak detection, used oil analysis kit (to detect minute amounts of coolant in oil), etc...

have faith in your dealership's Master ASE mechanic
34.gif

Depending on what is found, contact Toyota Corporate or the leasing company for assistance is what I would do.

The air bubble is definitely a possibility, particularly if you don't smell coolant and the oil remains clear, but as noted, a purge is supposed to be done as part of the fill process, so if it wasn't, it definitely causes one to take pause with respect to the quality of the work.

A pressure and leakdown test will determine if the coolant is leaking anywhere.

Best of luck!

Originally Posted by chemman
Depending on what is found, contact Toyota Corporate or the leasing company for assistance is what I would do.

My last 3 calls to toyota Corporate have not been returned by my case manager. Nor have a got a call back from the GM of the dealership that refused me service unless I pay for parts and labor out of my own pocket.

I did talk to the GM of the dealer that's making the repairs. He has been very receptive of all the issues I have had not getting people to call me back or help me.

Last edited:
That's some air bubble if he added a gallon of coolant. Can you smell coolant under the hood after a drive?

Can you lemon law a lease? When is this eligible to go back to where it came from?

How much coolant have you had to add? I'd think anything more than a half gallon would indicate a problem. Edit: I see you added a gallon, nevermind.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dishdude
That's some air bubble if he added a gallon of coolant. Can you smell coolant under the hood after a drive?

No smell of coolant and not leaking on the garage floor.

Nebraska lemon law is 4 repairs of the same part or 40 days in the shop during the first year of ownership. yes you can lemon a lease but at this point it's only been fixed twice and only 21 days in the shop

Originally Posted by dishdude
That's some air bubble if he added a gallon of coolant.

+1
I know it's a larger displacement engine, but that's absurd!

Sorry to hear this. I'm sure you're extremely frustrated by this. I know I would be. Good thing you're leasing it. Definitely sounds like you have a lemon.

Originally Posted by supton
Can you lemon law a lease? When is this eligible to go back to where it came from?

How much coolant have you had to add? I'd think anything more than a half gallon would indicate a problem. Edit: I see you added a gallon, nevermind.

Good question, if it were me I'd want Toyota to take that thing back ASAP. It really is a lemon.

OP should keep calling TMUSA corporate until he gets an answer then again send a SNAIL MAIL RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED TO THE CEO OF Toyota Motor USA.
No friggen way I'd put up with this.

Originally Posted by Mathew_Boss

I took it to the dealer we bought it from for service Monday and was refused service because another dealer replaced the engine. They felt the other dealer was liable for the repair.

I suspect Toyota of North America would feel differently about that.

Last edited:
I understand your frustration with a case manager not returning multiple phone calls.

I have been known to call the Chief Executive's Office and begin by telling whomever answers that there is a problem and while the dealership is trying to resolve your problem, your company's Customer Service department is not acknowledging your problem, not returning your phone calls and you want to speak with someone who can get the ball rolling. Boy did that ever help!

If it is a lease car it is not your car. It is owned by Toyota leasing company. You are a renter not an owner.
If Toyota cannot fulfill the terms of the lease you should stop making lease payments and also take action to recover any down payment on the lease. I would contact consumer affairs and/or attorney general's office in your home state for howxto do it, legally.

Originally Posted by wdn
If it is a lease car it is not your car. It is owned by Toyota leasing company. You are a renter not an owner.
If Toyota cannot fulfill the terms of the lease you should stop making lease payments and also take action to recover any down payment on the lease. I would contact consumer affairs and/or attorney general's office in your home state for howxto do it, legally.

Stop making lease payments? That's terrible advice!

Hopefully Toyota Corporate comes through. Reality is any dealer repair outside warranty is covered by car maker typically for 1yr/12,000 miles. However in your case you have a full vehicle warranty the repair faulty or not is covered by. Part of those high dealer repair prices include warranty at any other dealer for the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back