Ummmn....fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news, some decent rain is falling in fire affected regions of NSW. As long as it's not too sudden or too heavy, it should be a big help.

The heavens opened over Sydney this morning and about 20-40mm is set to fall over the next few days.

Rain falling across NSW is offering some relief for fire crews battling blazes, but there are concerns the wet weather could cause landslides, flash flooding and contaminate water.

Meanwhile, the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) said there were already "good falls" across some firegrounds.

RFS Inspector Ben Shepherd said he was expecting around 10-15mm to drop on most firegrounds, with the highest falls predicted in the Hunter.
"This won't be enough to extinguish the fires, but will take the sting out of them," he said.

However, BOM forecaster Abrar Shabren said debris, which has remained on firegrounds for weeks, could prevent water from being absorbed into the soil.
"Flash flooding is generally a concern with thunderstorms and ponding of water on roads," Mr Shabren said.

Mr Shabren said bushfire areas, particularly in elevated regions, were also "vulnerable" to landslides and toppling trees during thunderstorms because fires would have weakened the vegetation.

Ref:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01...-rain-offers-fire-relief-in-nsw/11869768

Rain falling on drought affected and fire burnt Tamworth NSW

[Linked Image]

Ref:
https://www.9news.com.au/national/a...qld/b44c63b1-b764-4290-a15b-2075b76acf6c

So what is the total count up to for the arsonists that were arrested? I heard 24 then 40. What's their stories? Natives or terrorists?

Originally Posted by P10crew
So what is the total count up to for the arsonists that were arrested? I heard 24 then 40. What's their stories? Natives or terrorists?

I can't give you a total for the people, but when the ABC news crunched the numbers, they found their contribution to the fires was not significant and overplayed by certain sources

Only about 1 per cent of the land burnt in NSW this bushfire season can be officially attributed to arson, and it is even less in Victoria, the ABC can reveal.

NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) Inspector Ben Shepherd said earlier this week lightning was predominantly responsible for the bushfire crisis.

"I can confidently say the majority of the larger fires that we have been dealing with have been a result of fires coming out of remote areas as a result of dry lightning storms," he said.

In Victoria, where about 1.2 million hectares has burned, only 385 hectares — or 0.03 per cent — have been attributed to suspicious circumstances.

Ref:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-11/australias-fires-reveal-arson-not-a-major-cause/11855022

More rain falling, especially in SE QLD and NSW

NSW Rural Fire Service commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons says the rain is "breaking the back" of the horror bushfire season.

"The rain is good for business and farms as well as being really good for quenching some of these fires we've been dealing with for many, many months," the commissioner told ABC TV on Friday.

"We don't want to see lots of widespread damage and disruption from flooding, but it is certainly a welcome change to the relentless campaign of hot, dry weather."

We are still into the relentless hot dry weather - everyone says ''Looks like Australia out there.'' My lawn is dead apart from weeds, crisp to walk on, it crackles. There are bush fires out there, but nothing like Aussie has gone through, hope this rain helps and doesn't cause a new pile of problems.

Hi Silk,
I know how that feels, a lawn that is crispy and crunchy under foot. With the recent rains I have had to start mowing again, after about eight months of not mowing at all. It's amazing how quickly plants grow back once the rain hits them.

We have heavy rain now, from Sydney to Brisbane (1000 km) everybody is getting at least 50mm (2") of rain with some places like Byron Bay getting over 200mm. Obviously some local flooding and road closures, but all up people are happy. The fires are ending, the empty dams are filling and the plants and crops are growing.

Lighter and sporadic rain started about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Many cried "it's not enough", but in actual fact it was perfect. It allowed the dry soil to slowly soak up the water, the grass and plants began to grow again, but no real run off made it to the dams. Then a few weeks later with the grass back, the heavy rains started and the water supply dams are now filling.

Right now my backyard has turned into a stream with all the heavy rain, but the lush grass which sprang up a few weeks ago is holding it together nicely.

If I mow it's just seed heads and dust...dandelion, plantain, paspalum. Maybe rain end of next week...10 days on my weather app. This is New Zealand, the land of rain...but late summer and autumn are our driest time.

I have a cousin in Karatha, he's posting on FB about a cyclone just gone straight over the town.

I did a bit of firefighting myself today. A junk lot across the road from work went up just before 5.00pm, we all race over and try to contain it with garden hoses, things are going up in black smoke everywhere...it's over the fence onto the stopbank and it's racing along the dry grass. The Fire Brigade finally turn up and nonchalantly start putting fires out while we are still panicking. Small stuff compared to what they have been dealing with in Aussie, but an eye opener on how things can get out of hand so quickly. I was on a hose trying to stop where it started, a pallet with axles and hubs on it....you just can't stop it, there is so much heat it would just keep reigniting when I tried to go to another area. Seeing the fire jump to somewhere else...just starting all by itself. I guess I'll find out what happened tomorrow.

My scooter broke down on the way to work, belt or clutch maybe. It's my last week there, it only had to last one more day ! I had to walk home, a bit late with the fire fighting...I was expecting someone to stop and give me a lift, small town and all. But it was my wife, not what I expected...it's a wonder she recognised me,

Originally Posted by Silk
I did a bit of firefighting myself today. A junk lot across the road from work went up just before 5.00pm, we all race over and try to contain it with garden hoses, things are going up in black smoke everywhere...it's over the fence onto the stopbank and it's racing along the dry grass. The Fire Brigade finally turn up and nonchalantly start putting fires out while we are still panicking. Small stuff compared to what they have been dealing with in Aussie, but an eye opener on how things can get out of hand so quickly. I was on a hose trying to stop where it started, a pallet with axles and hubs on it....you just can't stop it, there is so much heat it would just keep reigniting when I tried to go to another area. Seeing the fire jump to somewhere else...just starting all by itself. I guess I'll find out what happened tomorrow.

My scooter broke down on the way to work, belt or clutch maybe. It's my last week there, it only had to last one more day ! I had to walk home, a bit late with the fire fighting...I was expecting someone to stop and give me a lift, small town and all. But it was my wife, not what I expected...it's a wonder she recognised me,

Glad you got home in one piece and no burns.

I also think you little lady knows you by how you walk and move after so many years. And there's the female "6th sense" also...

Keep safe mate and keep motoring.

You have a whole following here just because of your bike addiction and all the strange cars you present to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back