Torque wrench test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right!
I saw that video last year when it came out and I like his reviews. I'm not watching the video again so, I can't remember how many different test the guy did but in my mind, it a test of ONE example.

So, I agree & disagree with you. Yes, Snap-On tools are a lot of money but, there is(I believe) more built into the price of their tools that we may not think about. I don't buy them simply because I don't need tools that well made(reputation) nor do I want to spend that kind of money.

I don't think we'll ever see a price cut on Snap-On Tools. My neighbor has a Snap-On franchise and he says that Snap-On is completely aware of Harbor Freight better line of tools and they feel ZERO threat(at this time). And on this end, this is just ONE guy saying this so, IDK what other Snap-On distributors are saying. They may in fact feel a threat in certain areas of the country.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Right!
I saw that video last year when it came out and I like his reviews. I'm not watching the video again so, I can't remember how many different test the guy did but in my mind, it a test of ONE example.

So, I agree & disagree with you. Yes, Snap-On tools are a lot of money but, there is(I believe) more built into the price of their tools that we may not think about. I don't buy them simply because I don't need tools that well made(reputation) nor do I want to spend that kind of money.

I don't think we'll ever see a price cut on Snap-On Tools. My neighbor has a Snap-On franchise and he says that Snap-On is completely aware of Harbor Freight better line of tools and they feel ZERO threat(at this time). And on this end, this is just ONE guy saying this so, IDK what other Snap-On distributors are saying. They may in fact feel a threat in certain areas of the country.

Maybe Snap On will wake up one day. They feel no threat now, time can change things, quickly sometimes. They make good tools no doubt, but in cases like this there are better options for a lot less money.

And I definitely agree with that!
smile.gif

Last edited:
The one thing that always comes to mind with Snap-On Tools beyond their lifetime warranty(which most other brands offer as well) is that they deliver. You never have to leave your workplace. And IDK what different distributors offer in terms of discounts to good customers/technicians who buy a lot of tools.

I also don't know exactly(w/o asking my neighbor), how the warranty works, paperwork involved, time to wait etc. If I were a distributor, I would have warranty paperwork ready for when I pulled up to my customers shop and the tool ready to had off to them.

The one thing that always comes to mind with Snap-On Tools beyond their lifetime warranty(which most other brands offer as well) is that they deliver. You never have to leave your workplace. And IDK what different distributors offer in terms of discounts to good customers/technicians who buy a lot of tools.

I also don't know exactly(w/o asking my neighbor), how the warranty works, paperwork involved, time to wait etc. If I were a distributor, I would have warranty paperwork ready for when I pulled up to my customers shop and the tool ready to had off to them.

Convince is always a plus, as is good CS. One has to determine how much that's worth though. I couldn't justify 4X or more in some cases, obviously some people can. FTR I own some Snap On tools and have nothing against them.

Obviously HF is buying these from a high quality torque wrench manufacturer in Taiwan. I do like the etching on both barrel and handle, it appears to be a good quality tool.
No Snap on hate here, the tools I have from them are great and treasured.

Last edited:
Right!

I'm a semi mech at UPS. We also have a trailer side. Younger guys getting into the field aren't buying tool truck brand tools like the senior mechanics.

Good tools will no turn a hack into a good mechanic but good tools will make a good mechanic more efficient and happier. Nothing wrong with old Craftsman at all but the new stuff is just crap.

Originally Posted by Trav
Good tools will no turn a hack into a good mechanic but good tools will make a good mechanic more efficient and happier. Nothing wrong with old Craftsman at all but the new stuff is just crap.

All good points. I'm hoping Stanley B&D will turn the Craftsman name around. Their new tools for the most part are crap.

Yeah, I'm just a shadetree. I do most of my own repairs and once in a while I'll help a friend or family. So, I only need Craftsman, Stanley, HarborFreight, Husky etc. I even have some of my DAD's remaining Snap-On tool, Cornwell & MAC. But, there are only a few of these in my collection of tools

I have Craftsman 3/8 and 1/2 inch Digitork wrenches which show the exact torque in a window in the handle. Why do these new models still use 50 year old style micrometer adjustments?

The Harbor Freight might have been more accurate but the host didn't test 10-20. To see if it was a bad torque wrench. Two will the harbor freight stay accurate for as long as the Snap-On does? One test isn't an accurate statistic.

Practically everything I've bought from HF was a lottery, one tool has one defect and another specimen of same tool, different defect. I see it just sorting through them on their store shelf trying to pick the best one, lol. I could never count on a review of their tools that uses a small sample size.

Snap on is okay, the only thing that puts them where they are is mechanics think they have to have only snap on or they are worthless in others eyes. Price is high because of all the middle men/ women and everyone continues to buy them if everyone stops the prices would go down. If there where stores to go purchase them like there was in the 80's and early 90's, the prices wouldn't be so high to support the cost of a truck a salesman, and fuel and insurance for the truck. That is the huge problem, and then since all the other tool places know what snap on sells for they all think they can charge the same. And is why you don't see a huge cut in price on any american made tools. Just no competition any more in this country, everything costs the same pretty much.
I'd like to see what the real manufacturing cost is for one snap on wrench that they would sell for $60. that would be very interesting.

Nobody's holding a gun to your head......If you don't like the prices, Don't buy Snap-on tools!

Snap-on still innovates tools & equipment for the professional mechanic....This goes well beyond your basic hand tools & storage.

Snap-on's TechAngle torque wrenches are a favorite of mine & nothing I've seen in the industry matches them, Competitors have a hard time matching the now 10 year old TechWrench!
Don't care for spring loaded click-type torque wenches at all, Let's see some Split Beam comparisons! Oh, That's right Harbor Freight doesn't offer a split beam torque wrench
grin.gif

Snap-on scan tools, For domestic makes....Nothing comes close! It's like having GM & Ford OE scan tools rolled into one with really good FCA/Chrysler support, Decent Asian support & hit/miss on European makes. Though I did work on a 2013 Mini Cooper S recently & the support was excellent.
*I have Ford IDS, Forscan, GM Tech 2, GM MDI-2, & HP-Tuners MPVI & MPVI-2......I have 3 times the money wrapped up in these tools & subscriptions than I do my lowly Snap-on Solus Edge, Unless I'm programming, initializing, Or editing a module....I grab the Solus!
Still use my ancient Snap-on MT2500 "brick" from time to time on OBD1 & early OBD2 vehicles.

Power Steering Pulley service tools, I smile everytime I use my Snap-on pullers & installers, Same with the Snap-on output/tail housing bushing service tools for 700R4, 4L60E, TH350, 2004R, TH200, The latter 2 require complete transmission disassembly to service the bushing without this tool! It also services T56, Muncie M20/M21, Borg Warner T10, And GM 3 speed manual transmissions.

Zero degree offset Hi-Performance wrenches, Saved my bacon more than once.

Just this past week....I bought a 1/2" drive 15mm Semi-Deep Impact Wobble for GM/Ford/FCA exhaust manifold/Down pipe/DPF nuts. Nobody else makes this exact tool, It was $50 cash with a list of $66....Worth every penny to me.
I was getting by with a shallow 15mm wobble, But would sometimes not fully engage the nut as the stud is a little too long.

Dake presses are expensive, Mohawk & Rotary Lifts are expensive, Quality 2-stage compressors are expensive, Quality vises are expensive. It seems you want everything at your price point, Quality will suffer & has historically suffered because manufactures start meeting price points. What funds development & innovation of tools going forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back