Motor Oil for High Performance Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to post some types of motor oils that are recommended by manufacturers for their highest performance level cars or oil manufacturers who are stating their oil is suitable for those cars. Its just for your enjoyment so don't bother harping on me if I didn't phrase everything correctly. Its just a sampling of the oils. Not stating that it has to be THIS oil, but you are welcome to post what you would use in each case. I'll do it in individual posts so it doesn't get too muddled up. By the way, if you respond to any particular post you can delete the sheet of specs if you want to keep posts minimal. Enjoy.

Firstly, the Dodge Challenger Hellcat and all SRT Cars

Dodge Challenger Oil Recomendation.PNG

Pennzoil Platinum 0w40 SRT.PNG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
What exactly is the purpose of the post?

Some folks might find it interesting, Relax.

Originally Posted by CT8

Believe me, I'm not much of a thickie. Interesting that FCA and Chevy went for a wide spread 0w40, Ford ramped it up to a 5w50 and of course the Europeans racked it up ( not surprising ) to a 10w60. Also, there is not a single 15wX in the bunch.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I've decided to post some types of motor oils that are recommended by manufacturers for their highest performance level cars or oil manufacturers who are stating their oil is suitable for those cars. Its just for your enjoyment so don't bother harping on me if I didn't phrase everything correctly. Its just a sampling of the oils. Not stating that it has to be THIS oil, but you are welcome to post what you would use in each case. I'll do it in individual posts so it doesn't get too muddled up. By the way, if you respond to any particular post you can delete the sheet of specs if you want to keep posts minimal. Enjoy.

Firstly, the Dodge Challenger Hellcat and all SRT Cars

Compared to other 0W40, including Pennzoil 0W40 ACEA A3/B3 B4, this is mediocre.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by CT8

Believe me, I'm not much of a thickie. Interesting that FCA and Chevy went for a wide spread 0w40, Ford ramped it up to a 5w50 and of course the Europeans racked it up ( not surprising ) to a 10w60. Also, there is not a single 15wX in the bunch.
smile.gif

They did, in 2000, which was 20 years ago.

Nissan approves M1 FS 0W-40 in the GT-R, while Lexus recommends the 5W-50 version for the LFA. XOM dropped the Lexus mention, but I'm sure when an LFA rolls into a dealer's service bay there's a few gallons of it waiting.

Originally Posted by rideahorse
I wonder why no 0w-20 oils.
Because they know the motor will not live.

Depends on definition of high performance car. Civic Type R uses 0w20. However most people who would actually use a hipo car on track know that you need thicker grade for the oil temps you will see. However on street it's mostly a different story.

Then you have Ferrari that say to use Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (Pennzoil Platinum Euro) in their cars for street use, but Shell Helix Ultra 10W60 for track use. They call it SHU 10W60 "Racing" but it's rated API SN/CF and ACEA A3/B4 so it's fine for the street too.

[Linked Image]

Speaking of Euro ACEA A3/B4 oil, in 5W40 or 0W40 grade, such as SHU 5W40 or M1 / Edge 0W40, all these oils are also rated Porsche A40 for use in their gas (petrol) engines.

Typical they are rated something like API SN / SN-Plus, ACEA A3/B3/B4, MB 229.5 / 226.5, BMW LL-01, VW 502/505 and Porsche A40.

The A3/B4 spec means TBN is above 10 for long life (full-SAPS), the MB spec means the Noack Volatility is below 10%, and every VOA / UOA I've seen of them show ZDDP at around 1000 ppm.

Overkill has posted a link to the Porsche A40 testing procedure
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3789194/

Here is Porsche A40 testing procedure:

This test will last 203 hours. The engine, and the oil, will go through:
- 4 times the simulation of 35 hours of summer driving,
- 4 times the simulation of 13.5 hours of winter driving,
- 40 cold starts,
- 5 times the simulation of 1-hour sessions on the "Nurburgring" racetrack,
- 3.5 hours of "running-in" program
Measurements on the engine and on the oil will be done at regular intervals, and the following parameter
will be taken into account to grant the approval or not:
- torque curve (internal friction),
- oxidation of the oil,
- Piston cleanliness and ring sticking,
- Valve train wear protection. Cam & tappet wear must be less than 10 micron.
- Engine cleanliness and sludge: after 203 hours, no deposits must be visible.
- Bearing wear protection: visual rating according to Porsche in-house method.

Also Doug Hillary also said
Yes, I can confirm that M1 0W-40 was being used by a number of Teams/Individuals at the last Nurburgring 24Hr events I attended

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3092233/1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back