How do you like your turbo car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big fan of turbo's, they add considerable torque and HP to small form factor engines. My first turbo car was a 1985 Mazda 626 GT Turbo, fun little 5 speed. That had a little turbo lag but it was fun. Had 188K on it when it was totaled by someone backing into the rear quarter, it was a 2 door.

Current DD is a VW Golf TDI. This thing is a blast to drive and is a perfect DD in my eyes. The turbo has no lag and peak torque is around 2K RPM's, just scoots around without needing to rev it crazy. About 90K on the turbo so far, no issues.

Originally Posted by Huie83
I'm a big fan of turbo's, they add considerable torque and HP to small form factor engines. My first turbo car was a 1985 Mazda 626 GT Turbo, fun little 5 speed. That had a little turbo lag but it was fun. Had 188K on it when it was totaled by someone backing into the rear quarter, it was a 2 door.

I distinctly remember RENTING a 5spd 626 turbo in the late eighties. Lotsa lotsa fun. Significant torque-steer tho...

Owned a 2012 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
LOVED it !!!!
Fun to drive

Just bought my wife a 2017 Lincoln MKC 2.0L Ecoboost
It's a sweet ride !!

Love my Ecoboost motors !ðŸ‘

I don't own a turbo motor anymore but every time I see this thread I hear Rob Halford...

My first turbo was actually the most entertaining, because of the lag. 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. Slip the clutch enough to get moving, and then floor it. Wait....then whoosh. I found it a very fun car. It took a while to learn how to launch it without bogging or excessive clutch-slipping. Big difference from the turbos of today that spool at 1,200 rpm. It took even more talent to launch the FWD version, as it usually culminated in tire smoke and ditch-loving torque steer.

First turbo I ever drove was an early 80's Chrysler LeBaron. Lag with an automatic was even more hilarious. Light turns green, nail the pedal. Wait. Wait a little longer. Whoosh..... Those 2.2s were a hoot.

My current turbo car is one of my favorites of the 20-something cars I've owned. Lag is almost gone, and is probably imperceptible to most owners. But they'll never sound as good as their V6 and V8 counterparts, IMO. On the Mustang forums, there are a lot more mechanical issues with the 5.0 and 5.2 than the Ecoboost. I think most manufacturers have nearly mastered the materials & plumbing to make them last. But they've engineered some of the fun out of them. Gone are the turbos that made you wait, and then kicked you in the back.

Last edited:
I didn't have my 2015 BMW 328i long enough to address any longevity or mechanical issues. The turbo made the 2.0L four (240hp) leap like a hungry panther when I wanted it. I'd put my foot down and would be doing 60 almost before I knew it. The four itself returned fantastic gas mileage -- 25-27 with heavy city driving -- and would have been a good engine for a commuter car just by itself. With the turbo, wow.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
I didn't have my 2015 BMW 328i long enough to address any longevity or mechanical issues. The turbo made the 2.0L four (240hp) leap like a hungry panther when I wanted it. I'd put my foot down and would be doing 60 almost before I knew it. The four itself returned fantastic gas mileage -- 25-27 with heavy city driving -- and would have been a good engine for a commuter car just by itself. With the turbo, wow.

My 2.0 Forester XT is the same. No lag and puts you back in the seat. Fun car.

Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by Benzadmiral

My 2.0 Forester XT is the same. No lag and puts you back in the seat. Fun car.

I almost laugh out loud when I pin the throttle of my 2er at 35 mph and the rear tires light up.

I rediscovered my n54 turbos when I had my driveshaft rebuilt last week. I had no idea how much I was feathering the throttle to keep the shaft banging around where the center support bearing used to be. Now that it's solid, whoo-weee! Trying not to vaporize my snow tires!

Originally Posted by antonmnster
I rediscovered my n54 turbos when I had my driveshaft rebuilt last week. I had no idea how much I was feathering the throttle to keep the shaft banging around where the center support bearing used to be. Now that it's solid, whoo-weee! Trying not to vaporize my snow tires!

200k miles on a BMW w/N54 !?!?

Impressive...most impressive...
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by antonmnster

200k miles on a BMW w/N54 !?!?

Impressive...most impressive...
thumbsup2.gif

Thank you! I have two more injectors showing up tomorrow to address two of the dirty plugs I found last week. I hear there's a recall, but my VIN isn't showing up. I wonder if that's because mines is a lemon law from CA...

I just rebuilt the driveshaft, bought new shocks/sruts, and have done bunch of other maintenance work. Hopefully it pays off. It's a lot cheaper than replacing the car!

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
For those of you who have bought cars that have turbos from factory, how do you like them in comparison to previous generations? Do the turbos give you any troubles and how does it affect your driving experience?

I had a 2016 Subaru WRX 6MT with a turbo. Kept it for 3 years and 40,000+ miles.

These days, I drive my fiancee's Honda Civic 1.5T with 6MT a lot.

I am a fan of turbocharged engines. They let you "have your cake and eat it too", so to speak. You get the performance of a larger-displacement naturally-aspirated engine (actually, in some areas, better, such as with low-end and midrange torque), but without the greater fuel consumption, as long as you keep your foot out of it (which is, admittedly, tough for me to do).

Take the Civic 1.5T engine, for example. It makes 174 HP and 162 LB/FT torque, which are similar numbers to the 3.0L OHC V6 in my old 1987 Nissan Maxima (actually, the Maxima had more like 160 HP, with around 180 LB/FT). But the real story is in how soon the torque peak is reached, thanks to the turbo. Modern turbos allow peak torque to be reached not far off idle; 1700 RPM in the case of the Civic. And it maintains that twist all the way up to 5500 RPM. You'd have to rev an NA engine a lot more to get your peak torque.

And modern turbos (especially the small ones, like what's in the WRX and Civic) spool up quickly. There's almost none of the lag you used to hear about with older turbocharged cars.

Another benefit is that you lose less power with a forced-induction car when you drive at elevation, than you would with a NA car.

Durability is not really an issue. The designs have been improved, with most turbos nowadays being water-cooled. It used to be that people would add aftermarket "turbo timers" to their cars. It was a device that kept your engine running for a predetermined amount of time, after you took the key out. That allowed oil to continue to flow through the turbo, cooling it, and preventing residual oil from cooking inside the hot turbo (known as "coking"), especially after long periods of time driving at higher speeds. These days, it's not really necessary, as the turbos run cooler due to liquid cooling. Some designs also allow for coolant to continue flowing through the turbo for a time, after engine shutdown. Also, oils, especially synthetic oils, have gotten much better over the years, and are much less volatile and less susceptible to causing the coking.

If you do get a turbocharged car, I highly recommend using a very good quality, fully-synthetic oil, and not going too long between changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back