4L60e transmission cooler fitting for fluid exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, will be fluid exchanging my 4l60 out in a couple days and wanted some input in a 2003 hummer h2
i was reading and other 4l60 chevy owners hook up a 3/8 brass transmission cooler fitting onto the rad? And then hook a line of tubing to pump the fluid out.i can't seem to find the exact one there talking about but can I just buy any 3/8 fitting for like a pressure washer and just hose clamp a tube to the other end? If so, are the threads npt?

i read some people said the 3/8 doesn't fit, and some use plastic fitting Bevause they could just bend the threads and force it in

has anyone used a fitting if so which one works? Or what did you do otherwise?

thx

Do you have an old cooler line you can hook up? That is how I do it. You just cut the metal portion long enough to clamp a hose on it.

Something like this? The one end in goes in the fitting, then clamp a hose at the end. Most parts stores carry something similar.

[Linked Image]

On my 2002 Silverado, I remove the grill (it is super easy to do) and disconnect the return line coming out of the transmission cooler and put a hose on it into a bucket. Easy peasy!

On my 2006 Trailblazer, I disconnect the input to the cooler for the exchange. I just jam a piece of tubing onto that. Yes there is a bit of fluid left in the cooler but some does leak out into the catch pan.

thanks for the tips guys! i dont need to use a fitting just look for something that will work with the gm factory transmission cooler lines for a 4l60

thx

im gonna try disconnect the return line and see if i can get a tube on it or the return line off,
otherwise bump incase someone has more tips or maybe sizes of something they used

thx

Don't worry about the volume left in the cooler. The fluid exchange does not remove 100% of the fluid but does a very close job.

Just squeeze a clear hose on the transmission output line and call her done.

Easily done on my 4L60E in my trailblazer and C1500. Just as easy on my 2011 ram with 545RFE.

When I did my 4l60e (03 burb), I could not get the cooler outlet fitting off. I could take the clip out and remove the tube, but couldn't get the fitting out to put on a threaded fitting to attach a hose to divert into the bucket.

My trans lines were weeping anyway, so I carefully removed the factory crimp where the tube meets the hose, pulled the hose off there and ran a hose to a bucket. Then put the hose back on the tube and put a fuel line clamp back on.

Previously mentioned ideas are better options. But the way I did it solved my weeping issue.

Can go to junk yard and pull the upper cooler line from radiator and cut it at the hose, and use that as a connector since it clips right in

Oh, and it took 4 gallons of fresh fluid before the fluid came out Bright red.

the 3' of line going g back to the transmission was the only thing not flushed, so I got a funnel and poured about a quart down that tube to try and purge any fluid left in that line.

its for a 2003 hummer h2 with 4l60e!
so all i have to buy is some clear plastic tubing and i should be able to disconnect something and slide the tubing on?

soryr im not fully mechanically inclined but once i know what to do i can do it, i just dont know where to disconnect the lines or what to disconnect.

i assume i dont need any fitting then so this seems easier this way

Yep, just some line. I cannot remember what inside diameter tubing I used but it was about 3 or 4 feet of clear line. Just disconnect the input line to the cooler (transmission output), slip the clear line on it. I needed 2 people on my trailblazer as it dis not have command start. Start it and run it while the other guy holds the hose in a large bucket.

The fluid is low pressure and nothing crazy. Just run the engine until you see lots of bubbles in the fluid output. Shut the engine off.

Deop the transmission pan. The deep pan in my TB was all but empty. Nothing spilled when I pulled the pan. Replace the filter and put the pan back on. Gm is great for using reusable gaskets btw.

Add 5 litres or quarts of fluid. Then run the engine again until the pump levitates and spits out lots of bubbles. Add another 5 litres. Repeat. You can shift through the gears once if you like. At this point my Tb was starting to puke out fresh fluid.

After this I added about 5 litres, connected the cooler line. make sure you fully seat the line and securely attach the e clip. Check that the line is in fact seated in the cooler!!!! Then run the engine for a minute to circulate the fluid and begin your cold level check on the dipstick. If its ballpark good then go for a drive. Get it warm after a few miles and recheck the warm level.

This method works great and the only tools you need are absolute basic hand tools, a jack and stands to prop the truck up to get the pan off. Also a decent funnel as the dipstick is small diamter and usually on a bad angle.

On my 1500 that had command start, it was a one man job. Anyways, the H3 is on a similar chassis to my TB. The cooler line should be on the passenger side, bottom of the rad.

I will see if I can get some pictures tomorrow to aid you. This really is a simple job!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back