Lucas Hub oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
After taking wrong advice from my local parts store, where they said the Hub oil is Lucas's gear oil. Found out they actually make gear oil. I filled my 1ton ford rear axle with hub oil. Which is basically molasses.

Is this too thick? Going to cause too much heat?

Anyone familiar with the hub oil?

Hub oil is for non driven oiled hubs in 18 wheelers. It's entirely the wrong stuff for your axle. It does not have the extreme pressure addatives your axle requires.

I would drain it now before you burn up your ring and pinon gears.

Nothing good will happen with Lucas hub oil in your rear axle.
If it were mine, I'd drain it and refill per OEM spec before the thing moves again.

I won't jump on the lucas hating bandwagon. Many of their products are...ok... But hub oil is completely wrong for your application. Change it now. Tonight. All you are doing is causing wear, though I really have no idea how severe or minor.

The main selling point of Lucas hub oil is that it is so thick it will stop leak on old wheel seals. The alternative is just packing the hubs with grease. Just use any quality gear oil like delvac 75w90 that is designed for the axle.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Lucas gear oil would be fine. Kinda expensive but ok. The hub oil does not belong anywhere near hypoid gears.

I only went with lucas due to Detroits recommendation for their trutrac. Obviously they certainly didnt plan for hub oil. Luckily i haven't been driving it, tho not looking forward to cleaning that sludge out. Was hoping that because the bottle says for use in differentials and trans that it would be ok.

Side note- anyone have a recommendation to use with the trutrac? I was told nothing with additives or synthetic. Too slick

Last edited:
Hub oil is for bus/big rig hubs with oil-lubed wheel ends(those usually have a Stemco hub cap with a red plug and a window to view oil level). Drain it out and put in the proper gear oil.

For the Tru-Trac, I'm surprised a non-LS synthetic wouldn't work. Red Line makes a 75W-90NS/75W-140NS oil without the Sturaco additive needed for most limited slip diffs.

https://www.redlineoil.com/75w140-ns-gl-5-gear-oil

Originally Posted by Biggwrm
Originally Posted by Chris142
Lucas gear oil would be fine. Kinda expensive but ok. The hub oil does not belong anywhere near hypoid gears.

I only went with lucas due to Detroits recommendation for their trutrac. Obviously they certainly didnt plan for hub oil. Luckily i haven't been driving it, tho not looking forward to cleaning that sludge out. Was hoping that because the bottle says for use in differentials and trans that it would be ok.

Side note- anyone have a recommendation to use with the trutrac? I was told nothing with additives or synthetic. Too slick

Just put a truetrac in my Jeep, I used redline. And shop owner who specializes in rear ends said it's hogwash, synthetic is fine....Detroit themselves speak out of both sides of their mouth. Just do not use any additives over and above than what comes in plain old bottle. I would go redline 75/90

The PDS sheet on the Lucas Hub oil says nothing about applications for differentials.

WHoever recommended Lucas Hub oil for a differential either misunderstood your application, or is solely misinformed as to lubricants and their applications, or both.

The Lucas Hub Oil is way too thick for your differential and most likely does not have the necessary EP additives to protect it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Here is the PDS sheet on the Lucas Hub oil and they say nothing about applications for differentials.

WHoever recommended Lucas Hub oil for a differential either misunderstood your application, or is solely misinformed as to lubricants and their applications, or both.

The Lucas Hub Oil is way too thick for your differential and most likely does not have the necessary EP additives to protect it.

Got it from the bottle unfortunately..
[Linked Image]

I originally had the redline to put in, but Detroit said would make too much noise because its too slick.
Ok so drain it.. lol not looking forward to cleaning that [censored] off.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
More dubious Lucas marketing striking again! Wow, I can't believe the text on the back of that bottle
33.gif

The absence of a GL-5 rating is the first sign of a problem! Maybe PQIA needs to take on mislabeled gear oils...

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
More dubious Lucas marketing striking again! Wow, I can't believe the text on the back of that bottle
33.gif

The absence of a GL-5 rating is the first sign of a problem! Maybe PQIA needs to take on mislabeled gear oils...

Yup!

Originally Posted by Biggwrm
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Here is the PDS sheet on the Lucas Hub oil and they say nothing about applications for differentials.

Got it from the bottle unfortunately..
[Linked Image]

I originally had the redline to put in, but Detroit said would make too much noise because its too slick.
Ok so drain it.. lol not looking forward to cleaning that [censored] off.

That's far from it my friend, honestly the smoothness and the function are absolutely perfect, coming from someone who lives in area with a ton of snow, and recent snowstorms....It kicks in instantly, I actually in a recent storm did Not even need 4x4 since installing it. Mpg went up as well. Works best with traction control off. Take off the diff cover and spray with brake cleaner....get it nice and clean. Reseal and fill with redline. There are drag cars that run redline with these. YouTube it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back