My 02 Jeep has had it's first major problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought it new June 02. Now with 178,680 miles on it the clutch release bearing has started to grind when I press on the clutch pedal.

Seems silly to do all that work and not change the clutch. But part of me want's to just throw a new release bearing in it and see how long the clutch lasts. It's never been slipped or pulled a trailer.

I bet it's almost like new.

Some would say it's impossible
whistle.gif

If it were me I'd do a clutch regardless, wouldn't hurt... but that's a pretty good run!

I think you're kidding yourself to say any clutch with 178k is like new.. haha. Definitely put in a whole clutch kit while you have it apart. Its had a good run.

It would be foolish to not change the Pilot Bearing....Assuming it has a bearing & not a bushing. Then you can give the clutch disc a good looking at.

Luk makes a very good quality and complete clutch kit - everything you need. While you are there replace the flywheel too or atleast resurface it.

The only thing to be apprehensive about changing the clutch is, the new one will not be the same quality as the old one was. My brother ran into that. Most all foreign made junk parts now, and last a very short time compared to the good old stuff.
I'd check it though. And if in good shape it may just out last any new one, except maybe a reman from the US or from a quality racing parts supplier. Anything from a normal parts house will likely be junk.

Yea I would do the clutch for sure esp at 178k. If you are dropping a tranny for a throwout bearing or internal slave you might as well put a new clutch in while you've got it out. The internal slave on my ranger went out and I threw a new clutch in it to even though everything looked ok.

Last edited:
If it's got the clutch slave and master sealed / non serviceable unit that goes into the bellhousing, pulling the trans is the only way to service it and they do like to fail. Wouldn't be the worst idea to replace that at the same time. I think all manual trans jeeps of this era have this set up but I may be remembering wrong.

Might be wrong but did you post picks of teaching your niece to drive in this Jeep? Might have been slipped once...
wink.gif

You have access to all the right stuff to make replacing the clutch as easy as possible and don't mind doing the same thing twice and it looks really good then why not throw a bearing in and keep on Jeepin.

Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12
If it's got the clutch slave and master sealed / non serviceable unit that goes into the bellhousing, pulling the trans is the only way to service it and they do like to fail. Wouldn't be the worst idea to replace that at the same time. I think all manual trans jeeps of this era have this set up but I may be remembering wrong.

Mine has external hydraulics. We went through 4 of those internal slave/ release bearings on my boss' jeep before we swapped his over to my setup. Thats just a terrible design.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Luk makes a very good quality and complete clutch kit - everything you need. While you are there replace the flywheel too or atleast resurface it.

The jeep flywheel is made concave. Can't be resurfaced by a regular grinder. I wonder if the new ones are balanced ok?

If was dropping the transmission I'd be changing the clutch. I would replace the flywheel too if I had any doubt, as mentioned they're concave and a traditional resurface is going to mess things up. I might also be inclined to change the RMS on a vehicle that old and with close to 200K miles while I was in there.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
. I might also be inclined to change the RMS on a vehicle that old and with close to 200K miles while I was in there.

You do not have to pull the trans to get to the rms. You must pull the oil pan.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by demarpaint
. I might also be inclined to change the RMS on a vehicle that old and with close to 200K miles while I was in there.

You do not have to pull the trans to get to the rms. You must pull the oil pan.

Good point, I'm thinking about the clutch job I should be doing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back