I need the best penetrating oil

Originally Posted by Tikka
Hi
Kroil is very good. Also put it in my Montana xtreme to clean my rifle barrels.

Kroil was a favourite by many service members doing long range shooting. I gave heard only positive feedback from the product but never used it personally. I think kerosene would be okay since it's really thin.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Originally Posted by Tikka
Hi
Kroil is very good. Also put it in my Montana xtreme to clean my rifle barrels.

Kroil was a favourite by many service members doing long range shooting. I gave heard only positive feedback from the product but never used it personally. I think kerosene would be okay since it's really thin.

I've used kroil it works great , you just have to order it, cant get it locally.

50/50 acetone and ATF gets my vote for best, I'll usually mix up some if I need to douse a lot of fasteners on any given project.

For something I can just grab and spray I vote Liquid Wrench or Kroil equally.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by super20dan
nothing beats the acetone atf 50-50 mix. just try it

+1 and it's cheap and easy to make as well.

What do you keep the acetone and atf mix in? Will it eat up the seals of a small hand oiler ?

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

I have two red oil cans similar to that. Haven't had and issue with the internals being eaten.

I mixed some acetone and atf today for a really rusty front bearing hub replacement. I was out of kroil.

There was so much rust, that i soaked it with the A-ATF and then heated it with a torch and sprayed it down again several times as it cooled, before i even put a wrench on it. I have some craftsman lobster endwrenches that i use for hammering. I tapped them with the hammer and the started to turn.

This mix worked better than anything i have used before. I mixed it in an oil can like above.

I am amazed at how well it worked.

IMG_20190930_085645930.jpg

IMG_20190930_085705349.jpg

IMG_20190930_100435599.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed, Kroil is great stuff. However, their marketing sort of sucks. They seem not to want to sell the the average Joe. I have to get a friend of mine who owns a business to order it for me. But the hassle is worth it to keep things working freely. It is amazing on bicycle chains.

Originally Posted by boomtower
I some times use a product from kimball midwest called, Torq"CB" Corrosion Blasting Penetrating Oil. Some other good ones that I tried are: PB Blaster, Jb 80,

A demonstration of TORQ CB Penetrating Oil by Kimball Midwest with the styrofoam cups just like how Berryman B-12 Chemtool did it!

HAHAHAA!
lol.gif

Those bolts were hardly rusted, compared to what I have worked on. Consider the test for entertainment.

I've used liquid wrench as well as kroil. The atf-acetone works better.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Those bolts were hardly rusted, compared to what I have worked on. Consider the test for entertainment.

I've used liquid wrench as well as kroil. The atf-acetone works better.

beer3.gif

I trust your judgement from real world experience...

The Project Farm channel is entertaining because he comes from a layman's perspective and his limited subjectice tests are semi-reliable data for sure, he did another limited test with Liquid Wrench, Sea Foam Deep Creep, and Gibb's (came out on top):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dObEK7V-TFU

The Acetone-ATF was confirmed in 2007 comparing many penetrants, but I haven't really found any other comparisons really...

i tried the atf/ acetone mix and its so much better than anything you can try. must try to believe . don't use on a painted surface tho

I bought gasoila free all on amazon and it's the best stuff I've ever used. My 2000 f250 needed new tanks straps and after 20 yrs in ohio salt filled winter roads I figured I was in for an all day deal. I sprayed the bolts for a couple days prior and they came right out. The front strap from rock auto required some modification but the part was the right number but I made it work.

Originally Posted by gamefoo21
I wish Kroil was easier to get Canada.
Check out Soper's Supply:

http://www.soperssupply.ca/

Enter "Kroil" in the search bar.

Not sure where in Canada you are, but the cities listed are are in the west: Vancouver, Surrey, Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg. I bought a spray can of Kroil a couple of weeks at the Winnipeg branch. Very expensive compared to Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, etc., but great stuff.

Wow. What site is this?

Mola-Soke

Synthetic ATF, with Acetone, and
Lube Control LC-20

Anything off the shelf marked Penetrant is pretty good.

But the above is another class.

Find Molakules recipe from the beginning of BITOG.

(You won't need, "Ed's Red", and neither will you need a whole other host of branded concoctions).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TheTanSedan
Wow. What site is this?

Mola-Soke

Synthetic ATF, with Acetone, and
Lube Control LC-20

Anything off the shelf marked Penetrant is pretty good.

But the above is another class.

Find Molakules recipe from the beginning of BITOG.

(You won't need, "Ed's Red", and neither will you need a whole other host of branded concoctions).

I mixed up a batch of maxlife atf and acetone and keep it in a 16oz trigger squirt oil can. It works awesomely, although the smell of maxlife isn't pretty.

For those of you saying that Kroil is hard to find , you can order directly from them . Grangers carries it , as does Ace Hardware .

After soaking bolts on my Crown Vic for a couple weeks before doing Upper/Lower Ball Joints, front shocks, end links. I am NOT impressed with liquid wrench.

3 of my 4 shock bolt heads twisted off. I used a jam nut up inside where the coil spring was to back them out in reverse. These bolts were not that rusty but you could see the Liquid Wrench had barely penetrated despite have plenty of time and being plenty soaked.

Back