Honda Owner's Manual Gripe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know very little about newer Hondas. Say from 2000 up. I am working on a 2008 CR-V doing the oil change, PS change, ATF change, spark plug change at this moment in time. This is my first experience with a newer Honda. I go to the Owner's Manual and I can't find diddly squat. I can't find what spark plugs, what ATF, maintenance schedule, timing belt (?), etc.....

I am not stupid. I do often recognize my ignorance. Is there something wrong with me not being able to find out when to change the spark plugs? I did see to change the ATF at 30K if you tow so that means every 30K to me.Is there a maintenance schedule in the manual? Maybe the owner is missing a book???

I will be keeping up with this maintenance for a long time so it would be nice if I had a piece of paper in this cars maintenance folder in my basement.

Maybe I have been spoiled by having Toyotas (albeit older ones) where they gave you all this info. Maybe now the mfr try to make you bring it into a dealer. IDK??

Last edited:
Your 2008 CR-V doesn't have a timing belt. It has a timing chain, so it doesn't have to be replaced at regular intervals
happy2.gif

Honda uses the maintenance minder, which derives the right OCI for you from your driving conditions. It also tracks when it's time to change the transmission fluid, spark plugs, coolant, air filter, cabin filter, and the timing belt on cars that have one (but thankfully, yours doesn't).

They started using the minder around 2006 or so. A few years ago, Honda added brake fluid to the MM, but before that, and including your 2008, it just says to change the brake fluid every 3 years regardless of mileage, but realistically, you can get away with doing it when you replace the pads and rotors.

Honda does not publish a set schedule anywhere. Dealers worth going to for service will tell you this. The shadier ones will make up a schedule to get you in there more often.

Gebo, you have the largest, most completest, most everythingest user manual in the known universe right here on BITOG.
BITOG will answer everything with all kindsa answers. No worries.
Forget what Honda sez; we know better.

My man, JeffKeryk....

XOXOXO in a very heterosexual way.
cheers3.gif

Now I get it. There is no written schedule. It's all through the "maintenance minder". Do the new Toyotas have the same type setup? The newest car I have is a 2007.

I ain't letting no car tell me when it needs to be maintained. Might was well break out my legal pad and get to work setting up "my" schedule.

Originally Posted by Gebo
My man, JeffKeryk....

cheers3.gif

AA meetings for me Gebo. Maybe some dead coffee....
Have fun with that rock-n-roll CR-V.
You are doing your neighbor a good turn.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
My man, JeffKeryk....

cheers3.gif

AA meetings for me Gebo. Maybe some dead coffee....
Have fun with that rock-n-roll CR-V.
You are doing your neighbor a good turn.

I don't drink alcohol either. I was an alcoholic. Let's just pretend it's root bear.

I don't drink alcohol either. I was an alcoholic. Let's just pretend it's root bear.

Not a drop in 33 years...

Now I get it. There is no written schedule. It's all through the "maintenance minder". Do the new Toyotas have the same type setup? The newest car I have is a 2007.

I ain't letting no car tell me when it needs to be maintained. Might was well break out my legal pad and get to work setting up "my" schedule.

Our 2016 Toyota Highlander lists the maintenance schedule in the owner's information.

Are you going to buy a factory service manual (Helm) for that vehicle?

But a piece of paper (from the manufacturer) is any different ?

Originally Posted by Jim_Truett
Doesn't the maintenance section start on page 271 in your owner's manual? It's all detailed in there. Notifications come through the maintenance minder.

"Like"

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

But a piece of paper (from the manufacturer) is any different ?

Sure is. My piece of paper will have all listed maintenance in miles and time with all capacities and part numbers. Huge difference
thumbsup2.gif

I ain't going by no artificial intelligence LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Brybo86
I have the service manual for my 2008 Accord 2.4, same engine as the crv, not sure how I could get it to you, BitTorrent mb?

That's very kind of you but as long as I got bitog, I'm gonna be good.

Toyota does not use this type of system. While some of them have a "change oil" light that comes on, it is NOT the same thing your Honda has. Toyota's is just a glorified mileage counter, and it comes on every 5k or 10k, depending on the model.

Some newer Fords have it, most GM cars have it, and some German cars have it

As a bonus, you don't have to worry about or determine whether your driving falls under "normal" or "severe" because the computer does that for you
smile.gif

When I changed the oil the computer said we had 70% more life in the oil with 3K on the oil. I could never go 10k on an oil change especially one that is driven 4 miles to work one way and then back home 5 days a week 75% of the time. More miles on Saturday.

Mind you, this is my first experience with this type of maintenance system. It's probably old to most of you but very new to me. Thank y'all as I now understand what I'm dealing with.

My '08 CR-V I bought new. The maintenance minder typically went 7000-8000 miles before it called for an oil change. Still ran perfectly at 120,000 miles and didn't consume any oil. I thought spark plugs and valve lash adjustment were called for at 105,000 miles. When I did the valve adjustment I just had one valve that was slightly loose, and everything under the valve cover was spotless. If I recall, the cross brace makes it difficult to get the valve cover off and I had to unbolt one end. I did the ATF every 30,000 since I towed a camper with it, but the fluid never looked ghastly or smelled burnt, and the drain plug magnet just had a slight film of "mud" on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back