To Seize or Not To Seize?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The heat range for anti-seize goes: Regular Aluminum, Copper, Nickel
Spring for the nickel anti-seize if you're going to use any.
As careful as people say they are I bet many apply too much of most any product.

My last 3 cars had aluminum heads. The first time I extracted plugs from each one the plugs screeched and howled.
Subsequent removals were quiet.
Actually, with my current car the screeching and howling began immediately so I stopped wrenching and oiled the plugs in their wells. then I "back 'n forthed" the wrench to lessen damage.

Another inconclusive post on the topic.....except for me.

You know I'm just working on this Honda as a favor. It has to have the most useless owner's manual I've ever seen. I can't find service intervals with miles or times I can't find part numbers. I couldn't find spark plug numbers in it. Maybe I'm just ignorant but it's the most useless owner's I've ever seen.

I'm smiling. Not angry.

grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Use anti-seize, don't use anti-seize, it's been discussed countless times here and it has never reached any consensus.

However, every once in a while we do get a thread about a spark plug being difficult to remove or damaging the threads, even the coated ones. Curiously enough, the vivid proponents of "manufacturers know best" don't seem to participate in those.

I think the manufacturers get away with it because they recommend miles and years so if you change it every 6-7 years regardless of miles, then they won't seize from being in there too long.

Never really thought about it, never used it, never had a problem.

It also enables them to provide an install torque figure whereas it will vary depending on how much anti-seize the owner opts to apply.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mk378
Instructions on the plug box are usually torque by angle.

Which I think is far easier considering that on some engines it is impossible to use a torque wrench.

I use the copper high heat stuff...

http://www.itwconsumer.com/versachem-products/product.cfm?id=Anti%2DSeize%20Thread%20Lubricant%2C%20pocket%20pack-81

When I changed the plugs on my Cadillac DTS at 100K Miles, Some of the spark plugs needed a breaker bar to get loose. When I removed them, I saw some rust on the spark plug threads.

The spark plugs are Double-Platinum and have the "Rust-resistant coating" on them. The instructions say not to use anti-seize.

I decided to put just a tiny amount of silver anti-sieze on the first few threads of the spark plug.

Its been 5K miles since then, and I have no issues.

If the old plugs come out easily, then don't use Anti-Size. If they do, it's okay to put just a little.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I've always used antisieze , always. Never a problem. Just a small dab...

Same here, even on the ngk plugs.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I've always used antisieze , always. Never a problem. Just a small dab...

+1 here. I use it on every new nut and bolt and every nut and bolt removed from vehicle gets a dab. Yes even on plugs.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I read to not use anti-seize on spark plugs. I read to use anti-seize on spark plugs. Which is correct or does it matter?

If it matters, at this time I am only concerned with Honda's and Toyota's. However, I welcome all responses.

Gebo-
my 2008 Accord V6 FSM says to apply AZ to spark plug threads and tighten to 13 ft/lbs. Although CRV uses another engine, spark plug installation is probably identical. If concerned, the safest approach is install new plugs wo AZ and tighten an additional amt of a turn as specified by the plug manufacturer.

When I changed out the factory OE plugs, I saw evidence of AZ on the threads

Originally Posted by CT8

[Now ford has always had "Iggy" issues] Explain lggy issues

Ignition issues.

Mainly leaky wires, then boots on the modular, but caps. plugs, coil pack tower to tower arcing..

talking 60's > early 2000's

I'm sure they are a little improved now on engines with COP.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Do any of you guys use a spark plug thread chaser before installing new plugs?

This is why I spray a little WD40; to clean the threads. I cringe when plugs don't thread in easily with just my fingers.
I grew up on iron; nowadays we work on aluminum alloy heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back