Not open for further replies.
Might be worth a shot.
https://www.lubegard.com/products/platinum/

7EA0BDC8-957E-4B8F-ADA5-5075A58EE75D.jpeg

Originally Posted by BlakeB
Might be worth a shot.
https://www.lubegard.com/products/platinum/

Lubegard is NO JOKE !!!

The trans shop doing my 4L60E rebuild in my burban SWEARS by it and using the Black bottle Lubegard 61910 Highly Friction Modified ATF Supplement as part of the service on it !!

@ $10 each on Amazon, I ordered several bottles for my "fleet". So far it has already lowered normal operating trans temp in my 01 1500 HD by
15-20 degrees !! Also running it in my crown vic interceptor and KITT will get a "taste" of it next time i pay him a visit lol

Dave

Originally Posted by borgward
I worked at a company that had a fleet of Chevy 1 ton's w/flatbed. Some had the Turbo 350 transmission. They lasted 3 to 6 months after repair. The others had Turbo 400 transmissions. They were rock solid. Outlasted the 350 engines. That was in the 90's into the early 2000's. Don't know if GM has improved their transmissions or let them go south. In general automatics usually don't last long after rebuild. Get the beefiest transmission for a GM truck.

A small under powered engine will wear out an automatic faster than a more powerful engine as the transmission has to work harder to make up for what the engine lacks. Especially true if you are doing any towing or carrying heavy loads.

That's not really how it works. The enemy of a transmission is heat. It will wear out from shifting constantly under heavy loads (over what it was designed for) or because it is not able to handle the power supplied by the engine. A smaller engine won't wear out a transmission faster.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by borgward
I worked at a company that had a fleet of Chevy 1 ton's w/flatbed. Some had the Turbo 350 transmission. They lasted 3 to 6 months after repair. The others had Turbo 400 transmissions. They were rock solid. Outlasted the 350 engines. That was in the 90's into the early 2000's. Don't know if GM has improved their transmissions or let them go south. In general automatics usually don't last long after rebuild. Get the beefiest transmission for a GM truck.

A small under powered engine will wear out an automatic faster than a more powerful engine as the transmission has to work harder to make up for what the engine lacks. Especially true if you are doing any towing or carrying heavy loads.

That's not really how it works. The enemy of a transmission is heat. It will wear out from shifting constantly under heavy loads (over what it was designed for) or because it is not able to handle the power supplied by the engine. A smaller engine won't wear out a transmission faster.

That's my thinking too. A transmission actually doesn't "do" work, it just translates rpm and torque, but the same amount of power comes out, minus losses.

Now a poorly controlled setup could be very lossy and burn up, if held in a gear that results in engine rpm hanging out near stall speed and lockup convertor off with high output engine torque. And shifting under load is hard on the trans (although "modern" stuff has communication between trans and engine, and can back off engine power for smooth shifts).

Ok, maybe the OEM might use a lower rated trans behind a smaller engine, that does happen too, as does skimping on cooling on the "lesser" models.

well, doesn't look to good. apparently extended warranty he paid 4k for was not on top of 5/60 but in addition, so with him being at 72K miles he's out of luck there - dealer won't cover the trans under warranty. GM, on the other hand, says they can assist with the repair/replacement but not at a 100%. Dealer won't even provide him with either loaner or rental for the time being. Not sure what he's gonna do. The moral of the story is read what carefully what you're paying for and don't listen to a word salesman says. Saga continues

Originally Posted by parshisa
well, doesn't look to good. apparently extended warranty he paid 4k for was not on top of 5/60 but in addition, so with him being at 72K miles he's out of luck there - dealer won't cover the trans under warranty. GM, on the other hand, says they can assist with the repair/replacement but not at a 100%. Dealer won't even provide him with either loaner or rental for the time being. Not sure what he's gonna do. The moral of the story is read what carefully what you're paying for and don't listen to a word salesman says. Saga continues

That sucks to hear. Even if GM did a 50% coverage goodwill repair, he would be ahead taking that offer rather than gamble with a third party transmission shop rebuild or junkyard swap in my opinion.

The 4L60 in my 04 Trailblazer has 202k on it and going strong. Maybe I'm just lucky but a DeX VI change every 30-40k probably didn't hurt. If I could get 200k plus out of every transmission I've owned, I'd be good with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back