Any Fiero owners here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 86 GT with 14,000 original miles, this flat tappit engine has me a bit confused on what oil I should use.

Can anyone help ?

thanks

Zinc, not zink. And flat tappet engines once broken in do not require high levels of ZDDP.

5W-30 with what API specification was given?

Originally Posted by hunter2929
I have an 86 GT with 14,000 original miles, this flat tappit engine has me a bit confused on what oil I should use.

Can anyone help ?

thanks

Naw...previous owners are toasted.
27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Zinc, not zink. And flat tappet engines once broken in do not require high levels of ZDDP.

5W-30 with what API specification was given?

SF/CC thanks for the correction and reply..

Last edited:
API SF used to be a zinc level of 1000-1400 ppm, not all SF oils had the maximum of course.

Mobil 1 0W-40 FS is about 1100 ppm zinc and would work well in that engine. Another choice might be Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck which is 1300 ppm. But the 0W-40 FS is pretty cheap at Walmart and carries a bunch of stringent approvals. Castrol 0W-40 is equivalent.

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our...ch-the-right-zddp-level-for-classic-cars

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Can anyone help ?

thanks

27.gif

crackmeup2.gif

I've had the same car as yours for 30 years and I have used various brands of 10-30 to 100k miles with no issues other than that my 2.8 is an oil leaker these days.

There are thousands, if not millions, of cars still on the road with non-roller camshafts. The Jeep Cherokee comes to mind. Unless you are running some kind of high performance camshaft in that Fiero, you really don't need a special oil. Pretty much any 5/10w-30 will get the job done.

Thanks for the reply's everyone, but please don't stop, looking for all the info I can get..

Can anyone help ?

thanks

27.gif

Don't laugh but when they came out I wanted one bad!

57.gif

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
How about Valvoline VR1 10W30.

I would think the extra zinc won't hurt, or will it hurt the cat? still looking into this but wasn't higher zinc normal for oils in the mid 1980 ?

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Can anyone help ?

thanks

27.gif

57.gif

0.7% of cars had that problem, most were fixed...

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Can anyone help ?

thanks

27.gif

57.gif

0.7% of cars had that problem, most were fixed...

Oh I know, just being funny. Never stopped me from wanting one. I ended up getting rid of my POS Ford for Mazda B2200 at the time.

If you're really concerned about the tappets, another vote for Valvoline VR-1 10W-30. If it's the Iron Duke, I'd be more concerned about the fantastic plastic camshaft gear, but I'm not sure the oil choice has much to do with the longevity of that. Were they using flat tappets in a 1986 Iron Duke? I know the '88 I helped fix had roller lifters.

I always thought the Fieros were cool, even if they weren't very high performance. Got to ride in one once with two other people
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back