Ford Gold G-05 vs Specialty Orange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a question......

I own a 2013 Ford Tuarus police w/ 3.7L V6 base engine, and 2014 Ford Fusion with the 2.5L V6 base engine. Both vehicles call for Ford Specialty Orange. Is there any reason not to use the orange during my drain and fill? I really like the gold G-05 that I used in my crown vics but hate to do the very aggressive flush to rid all the opposing coolant technology out to do the switch.

Also I am not a fan of coolant flushes as ive always had issues after. Can I just do two drain an fills and it be good enough if staying with the same coolant.

I don't know about the orange coolant but I just flushed my grand marquis last night. I used the motorcraft flush product with green coolant. Someone used some sealer when I got it (for the intake) and I think all of the junk is finally out, even after prior water flushes.

From what I understand the Motorcraft flush product (VC-1) is 100% safe and recommended by Ford for warranty work. I think you can use with confidence. I also broke off my hex drain petcock, but those are cheap from the dealer.

The Ford Orange is basically Dexcool....if I had those vehicles, I'd switch both to PEAK's new coolant which is similar to Dexcool without the 2EHA. In other words...it shouldn't be so critical to flush every drop of the old stuff out. PS: The 2.5 in your Fusion is a 4 cylinder...and a very good engine.

Ford is actually recommending on the newer 3.7s (in the big Transits) to flush out the Orange & go Prestone with Cor-Guard. We have had one Transit 3.7 start to jam up the heater core (a 2017), my indy backflushed the core and put the Prestone in, it's been working so far (2 weeks ago). I think I would lose the Orange, Ford is not even putting it in new 3.7s anymore. Switching to green or G-05/Premium Gold would mean getting EVERYTHING out-if you went to a Dexclone/AMAM coolant it would be easier.

Originally Posted by Fordiesel69
So how hard is it to swap to prestone cor guard then? Complete flush?

Cor-Guard is phosphated Dex-Cool, like an Asian pHOAT. A full flush is recommended, but if you can't draining out as much as you can works. The organic acid in both is 2-EHA and sodium/potassium neodecoanate.

Originally Posted by Fordiesel69
So how hard is it to swap to prestone cor guard then? Complete flush?

I would try to drain out as much as possible, then refill with either Prestone 50/50 or full strength/distilled or deionized water, unless you already have sludge problems. Prestone AMAM is a Dexclone, which means it's compatible with Orange & regular Dexcool, and the bonus is-Ford has tested it on Orange systems, plus it's cheap & available everywhere.

I wouldn't be afraid of Specialty Orange/Dex.

If it makes you any more comfortable, here are some related pictures from my 2011 Crown Vic LX. I switched this car to Dex at 30k miles, which is what the car had when I bought it. The pictures below were at 75k miles. The car now has just shy of 100k on it, and everything still looks exactly the same. Id say that after 7 years and 70k miles, we can conclude that it's pretty safe.

[Linked Image from bobistheoilguy.com]

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by ford46guy

When does he use distilled water?

Why are you asking? Does anyone claim that he did?

Originally Posted by emmett442
Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by ford46guy

When does he use distilled water?

Why are you asking? Does anyone claim that he did?

I would hope a dealer would do it properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back