To Seize or Not To Seize?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read to not use anti-seize on spark plugs. I read to use anti-seize on spark plugs. Which is correct or does it matter?

If it matters, at this time I am only concerned with Honda's and Toyota's. However, I welcome all responses.

Not needed, and may cause issues. Most plugs have a coating on them to prevent seizures.

Now ford has always had "Iggy" issues

you can decide what to do there

Most important is don't bend secondary wires if you are not replacing them, allow then to lie naturally

And Keep the plug insulators surgically clean.

Requires clean gloves and maybe a last second alcohol wipe in a radial motion.

If the plug threads are plated and plug manufacturer discourages it then do not use anti-seize. Anti-seize acts as a torque multiplier which increases the risk of an over-torque and consequently stripped threads.

Last edited:
I only use Denso plugs. Are they plated?

The anti-seize I have is aluminum based.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
It doesn't work for a 2008 Honda CR-V. It only says "no results found" when searching under the ignition.

But I do appreciate your helping me. Thanks!

Search pn#?

NGK states that the plugs I bought for my motorcycles and lawnmower were plated and not to use anti-seize. It was in their FAQs. I don't remember it specifically stated on their plugs' item webpage.

Use anti-seize, don't use anti-seize, it's been discussed countless times here and it has never reached any consensus.

However, every once in a while we do get a thread about a spark plug being difficult to remove or damaging the threads, even the coated ones. Curiously enough, the vivid proponents of "manufacturers know best" don't seem to participate in those.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...38828/stuck-spark-plug-toyota-4-7-tundra

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2844805&page=all

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...one-spark-plug-wont-come-out#Post5133371

Last edited:
What is the harm? I have always used anti seize without any issues. I also know people who have had plugs seize due to dissimilar metal corrosion. I choose not to take a chance.

I do it all wrong...
I spray a little WD40 to clean the threads from old anti-seize, etc.
I brush just a wisp of anti-seize on the plug threads.
Start plugs by hand with a rubber installer that will not cross thread plug.
Run 'em down by hand; any resistance must be fixed.
Finish with Snap On 3/8" torque wrench set to the low end (or a little less) of the factory torque value.
Your CR-V is 13 pound feet as I recall.
I use dielectric grease on the plug boot.

I still put some on but very little. I only do one small area on the plugs threads and thats all.
Just enough to give it a little more to the surface so they come out without damage in 50-100k, but not to thick to really change the torque specs.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Use anti-seize, don't use anti-seize, it's been discussed countless times here and it has never reached any consensus.

However, every once in a while we do get a thread about a spark plug being difficult to remove or damaging the threads, even the coated ones. Curiously enough, the vivid proponents of "manufacturers know best" don't seem to participate in those.

I think the manufacturers get away with it because they recommend miles and years so if you change it every 6-7 years regardless of miles, then they won't seize from being in there too long.

Never really thought about it, never used it, never had a problem.

Originally Posted by Imp4
You'll hear both side so prepare to make your own decision.

+1 Seize here.

For most of my wrenching life I used antisieze until the boxes started saying not to do so. For quite a few years after that I never used it and didn't have any issues whatsoever, even after over 100,000 miles. But then this last time changing out the plugs on my ECHO they were so tight and stuck I was certain I was going to strip the aluminum threads in the head (I didn't). So I went back to using it again.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I read to not use anti-seize on spark plugs. I read to use anti-seize on spark plugs. Which is correct or does it matter?

If it matters, at this time I am only concerned with Honda's and Toyota's. However, I welcome all responses.

Honda service instructions state to use a small of anti-seize on the spark plug threads.

Honda recommends it. So does Ford on the problem child 3V Mod Motors. and I've been doing it as SOP for plugs. I might stop using anti-seize on Denso or NGK plugs that use a tri-chromate plating but always with Autolite/Champion/Delco/Bosch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back