International Travelall - SUV Before SUV's were Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Trav
As others have said IH made their own gas engines and even a V8 with all the pistons removed from one bank to make a slant 4 (true, I worked on one).

I believe that was the 192ci 4 cylinder.

152 was 1/2 of a 304 and the 196 was 1/2 of a 392.

That's right. My numbers are off.

In the mid eighties worked on a neighbors 4 banger scout that was a parts eater. He eventually sold it to another neighbor who gave up when the rust took over.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Back around 1992 I bought a 68 scout from a neighbor. It was a rare scout as it came from the factory with the ihc 266 v8 and warner t-18 4 speed trans. The scout and 266 had 472000 miles on them and the 266 had broken a piston.

I could not locate a piston so I bought a 345 from the local picapart yard. The 345 was in a rolled 1975 scout. Paid $100 for it.

The 345 bolted right up where the 266 was.

That 345 ran fabulas! It had so much torque that it was unbelievable. I put 360k on that engine in that old scout body.

No idea how many miles it had on it before I pulled it out at the junk yard.

By now the old scout body was falling apart so I scrapped the scout. Sold the axles,trans and gave the engine with all those miles to a friend and he put it in his 79 scout.

I talked to him 2 weeks ago and it's still running today. I am sure that it has 500k or more on it. It has out lived 3 scouts!

I can believe this. Those old Cornbinders would run forever and take a beating doing so.

The 68 TraveAll we had with the 304 was sold in the early eighties and I saw it cruising around in the late 00's, around 2008 or 09. I would have loved to known how many miles that had on it.

I have never understood the attraction of lowering an SUV or pickup truck. I think it looks really stupid and moronic, but that's just me and my practical side. I get it, with cars. But not trucks and suv's.

Lone Ranger, that's funny about your white IH Travelall being known as the white elephant. Back in the mid-1970's my brother and I shared a 1967 IH Travelall that was given to us in payment of a debt for work done. It too was white and we called it Moby ****. It had a V8 and automatic transmission and consumed gas so fast you could practically see the gauge move. It had the rear tailgate doors split vertically rather than having a bottom gate and a top window. It was a great vehicle for camping trips as long as we didn't have to drive very far.
My buddies parents had a Travelall, not sure of the year but probably mid-1960's. It was two tone blue with a V8 and three on the tree. And no power steering. That thing pulled a good size travel trailer or a small trailer with our dirt bikes or a dune buggy along on many adventures without missing a beat.
On the other hand, another friend's dad had an IH Scout, about a 1973 model that was a total POS and something was always breaking on it and it left us stranded out in the middle of the Imperial Valley one time and ruined a pheasant hunting trip.

Last edited:
Love the old IH vehicles!!! Some guy in a small town in the middle of nowhere that I work out of had an old IH dealer. He has some projects but has several restored Travelalls driving around. Just plain cool!!

had a 65 4 cyl scout that I paid 150$ for . drove it for years was rock solid reliable. went everyhere off road in 2 wheel drive mostly. amazing rig. lot of fun

We went to the IH Homecoming show last summer at their plant in Fort Wayne. Thought I had some nice photos, but I think they got deleted.

Only good one I have is the first ever extended cab truck. Not a fan of the Duratrac tire on older trucks, but this dude wears them nicely.

49017BED-565E-49A4-A03A-9D72BC5CB6DD.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back