Anyone a Sprint shareholder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not but have had Sprint service since 2001. My parents have T-mobile and the service at .my house is terrible. Sad to lose another option. Sprint actually had 4G service before anyone else unfortunately they chose Wimax over LTE along with other things. We need more communication options not fewer.

Merging with Tmo is better than going out of business. Sprint has been bleeding money for years

Sprint is mostly owned by SoftBank of Japan and T Mobile majority owned by Deutche Telekom. The two together should provide impetus towards the next generation 5g

Originally Posted by 97prizm
I'm not but have had Sprint service since 2001. My parents have T-mobile and the service at .my house is terrible. Sad to lose another option. Sprint actually had 4G service before anyone else unfortunately they chose Wimax over LTE along with other things. We need more communication options not fewer.

Wimax hasn't been used in years. Sprint uses LTE exclusivity for it's 4g.. (band 26 and band 41).

i'm a Sprint subscriber... this is good news IMO. Can't wait for the 5g build out in my area, although I already get well over 100mbps down on Sprint's LTE+ (band 41) and that's more than adequate for what I do on my mobile devices. And TMobile and Sprint's 5g signal travels farther than Verizon's or At&t because they (Sprint/TM) use a lower frequency for it.

Last edited:
I hate sprint, they're worthless around the Chicagoland area. The only reason I'm still with them is because I have one of their old unlimited everything plans instead of the tier'd plans that every service has now.

When I first heard about the proposed merger it was stated that T-Mobile will be converting everything to T-Mobile's GSM (Sprint currently uses CDMA). They didn't mention a time frame. Good thing most phones made over the past several years work on both GSM and CDMA networks.

Originally Posted by DBMaster
When I first heard about the proposed merger it was stated that T-Mobile will be converting everything to T-Mobile's GSM (Sprint currently uses CDMA). They didn't mention a time frame. Good thing most phones made over the past several years work on both GSM and CDMA networks.

that's old news...CDMA only applies to the 3G and older networks. The 4G Standard is GSM Based.
all the telecoms are phasing their old CDMA netowrks out. Verizon was supposed to do it a couple years ago, but they've pushed back the date a couple times.
all the Canadian companies shut down their CDMA networks back in '16.

unsurprisingly, a couple years back when i took my parents to the local VZW Corp store to upgrade their phones, b/c the CDMA network shutdown had already been announced, (and mom and I were planning a trip to Canada) NO ONE that worked there even knew what "a CDMA Network" was......

When I went to sleep last night I was a long time Virgin Mobile (Sprint prepaid) customer. When I woke up my phone had rebooted, and I was a Boost Mobile customer. So much for loyalty. Same signal, fast and strong sprint LTE. But its a downgrade, I have less high speed data for the same price. Guess its all part of some master plan.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
When I went to sleep last night I was a long time Virgin Mobile (Sprint prepaid) customer. When I woke up my phone had rebooted, and I was a Boost Mobile customer. So much for loyalty. Same signal, fast and strong sprint LTE. But its a downgrade, I have less high speed data for the same price. Guess its all part of some master plan.

Virgin got out of the mobile reselling business..all their customers got moved to Sprint's prepaid provider Boost. Same exact Sprint network...

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
I think it is a good move, considering who you are going up against(Verizon/AT&T)

I think anything that helps bring 5g to more areas faster is a good thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Virgin got out of the mobile reselling business..all their customers got moved to Sprint's prepaid provider Boost. Same exact Sprint network...

Any idea how are they going to merge the networks? Will I get more coverage in remote areas? What do they plan to do with the Sprint network and the two-way channel they used years ago?

Any idea how are they going to merge the networks? Will I get more coverage in remote areas? What do they plan to do with the Sprint network and the two-way channel they used years ago?

The networks aren't hard to merge. LTE is all GSM based, and most phones out there have support for both T-Mobile's bands and Sprint's bands. Voice support is about the same. A very small subset of customers may need new phones, but that's only the ones holding on to the oldest of the old.

Sprint has pretty much abandoned push to talk. I believe it still uses it's PCS for push to talk in some markets but it no longer uses the older iDEN technology it got from it's merger w/NEXTEL. I think at this point Sprint has it in use just enough to hang on to the trademark, so nobody can claim it's abandoned and take it for their own. The Sprint/NEXTEL merger was a horrible deal..it became too expensive for Sprint to maintain 2 push to talk networks - iDEN and PCS. Fortunately many Sprint phones are both CDMA and GSM compliant, so switching isn't going to be a problem for most Sprint subscribers. I have a GSM/CDMA phone for example. If you use a SIM card you in all likelihood use GSM or at least have GSM capability. In theory with GSM you simply take the SIM card out and pop it into another phone of your choosing, this is the advantage of GSM over CDMA.. you're not tied to phones of the carriers choosing. So from the consumers standpoint, this merger will open up a lot of new phones to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back