3 filters cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i was bored and cut open some filters i removed the other day

First one is a Defense off a Ford edge roughly 4 to 5k

2nd is a quakerstate off an explorer. I think 4k ish

The 3rd is off the explorer as well but used for a trans filter. Not sure the miles on it.

20200210_225752_Film1.jpg

20200210_225804_Film1.jpg

20200210_225810_Film1.jpg

20200210_230016_Film1.jpg

Originally Posted by Kira
Anyone ever heard of Defense Oil Filters before? I haven't.

What was the slogan, "Fear the Cardboard Endcap"?

Thats Frams 3rd party filter. Orange filter for oil lube shops. I thought they stopped making them, guess not.

Anyone ever heard of Defense Oil Filters before?
I have. It was/is a Fram made value/jobber tier filter line. They used to be sold around here at store named Magic Mart. The MM has since closed locally and it appears all stores now. It was similar to Big Lots.

When Fram and Champ had their brief alliance, they went from Fram to a Champ made ecore format line. It would have been similar the previous Fram Core line. If they still being made I assume like the Core filters they have gone back to all Fram construction.

Defense and QS look like they survived to get the job done. The ST obviously previous Wix made for filter.

Thanks for c&p.

The first two actually look pretty good for (looks like) a pretty long time in service, the ST looks good because it was used in ATF, that's usually pretty easy duty. Edit: I see the 4K mileage now-those engines must be a MESS inside! Filters did the job, though.

Last edited:
Yes Defense are white frams. Can find them at fleet farm.

I think the lighting makes the filters look worse then they are

Both engines get regular oil changes with syn blend or full syn

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
The first two actually look pretty good for (looks like) a pretty long time in service, the ST looks good because it was used in ATF, that's usually pretty easy duty. Edit: I see the 4K mileage now-those engines must be a MESS inside! Filters did the job, though.

The edge couldve been more then 4k. The oil life was down to 35 percent. My brother didnt know how many miles were on the oil interval i just made a guess

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
The edge got an MC fl500s

The explorer got a blue supertech for both the oil and the trans an ST2 and ST16

Thank you for the info sir
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back