Wife's 2015 Cghevy Sonic - Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two Wednesdays ago , my wife was taking our daughter to work . A lady ran a stop sign and hit the Sonic on the driver's side , back part of the fender , front part of the door & folded the wheel / tire part way under . Towed away .

No one injured , thank God ! :)

Filed a claim with the other person's insurance , State Farm .

Do not know if the Sonic will be totaled or not ? 70,000 SOMETHING MILES ON THE CAR . It has been a good little car for her . Economical and easy to get around town . Not quite ideal for a road car , for 2 overweight senior citizens .

She is currently driving our 2006 Buick Lacrosse . If the Sonic is totaled , I would consider another used Buick , if I could find another low mileage , at a good price .

" its dead Jim" with the damage you describe, especially with the folded wheel, i would be surpised if it was not totaled. my crv was damage less than that and worth $12k and they totaled it

Last edited:
I was thinking Spark for a moment - and that is a terrible micro car - even for a micro car.

I hear good things about the Sonic. A few years ago I was courting a new 5 door hatch with a stick.

but they are rare and the price was too high.

UNfortunately, for your car, It is likely totalled,

I think You will enjoy a Buick.
And Glad to hear no one was injured!

We just completed ~ 1000 mile round trip in our 2006 Buick Lacrosse . We really enjoy it .

29.3 MPG going ( according to the guess o meter on the instrument cluster ) . Loosing elevation . 27.2 MPG returning , gaining elevation .

You may be correct , it may be totaled . If it is , I hope the check is respectable .

they seem to total cars for little damage anymore,, if I had to bet , they will total it

You should have heard by now and I would think they should have supplied you with a rental car. From your description it is gone bye bye. Hope you easily find a new ride.

Two years ago I totaled a '14 Buick Encore on a 90 degree nose to nose that didn't even trigger any airbag. Two front quarter panels, hood and grill. Parts cost was in excess of ten grand. Adjuster told me a used Chinese grill-- cheaper than a wreck yard-- would be way over a grand. Being a geezer I didn't even get collision on my '17 Soul since one more claim and I'll probably be Lyft-ing til I die. If I run off the road or a deer gets me it'll be my dime and the insurer won't even know.

I assume we shared that 1.4 turbo. Didn't give me any major trouble but was flashing CEL's in the winter. Looked like the typical GM engine with small cheap parts being lodged in big expensive parts. Miss all the electronics but the (supposedly troublesome) Kia 2.0 liter has been more trouble free.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this.

Did you get pics? it sounds like it might be totaled but various posters here probably could tell off any pictures.

Originally Posted by FT92
they seem to total cars for little damage anymore,, if I had to bet , they will total it

Mostly because the tech and design that goes into cars these days is much more involved than it used to be...even for an econobox

Just took in a 2019 Sonic, a year old. Guy bought it for $20,000, all we could give him on trade -in was $11,000 with about 14,000 miles on it.

Given your damage description, I would start looking for a replacement car.

csandste said:
Two years ago I totaled a '14 Buick Encore on a 90 degree nose to nose that didn't even trigger any airbag. Two front quarter panels, hood and grill. Parts cost was in excess of ten grand. Adjuster told me a used Chinese grill-- cheaper than a wreck yard-- would be way over a grand.

Ironic. you can now buy a Buick Encore in the USA that was manufactured in China.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
You should have heard by now and I would think they should have supplied you with a rental car. From your description it is gone bye bye. Hope you easily find a new ride.

We were out of town most of last week . Filed the claim with State Farm , last Friday . Have not heard back , yet .

Wife is driving the Buick , right now . Rental is not a huge concern .

Originally Posted by jstert
wouldn't a cpo buick verona be a nice replacement, though the back seat is a tad tight?

Not familiar with the Verona .

Originally Posted by Danno
Just took in a 2019 Sonic, a year old. Guy bought it for $20,000, all we could give him on trade -in was $11,000 with about 14,000 miles on it.

Given your damage description, I would start looking for a replacement car.

Saw a new 2020 Sonic Hatchback 1.4l turbo on cargurus.com in Oklahoma City priced favorably . ( I had rather not have a turbo . ) But can not do anything until I find out what State Farm is going to do .

Originally Posted by csandste
Two years ago I totaled a '14 Buick Encore on a 90 degree nose to nose that didn't even trigger any airbag. Two front quarter panels, hood and grill. Parts cost was in excess of ten grand. Adjuster told me a used Chinese grill-- cheaper than a wreck yard-- would be way over a grand. Being a geezer I didn't even get collision on my '17 Soul since one more claim and I'll probably be Lyft-ing til I die. If I run off the road or a deer gets me it'll be my dime and the insurer won't even know.

I assume we shared that 1.4 turbo. Didn't give me any major trouble but was flashing CEL's in the winter. Looked like the typical GM engine with small cheap parts being lodged in big expensive parts. Miss all the electronics but the (supposedly troublesome) Kia 2.0 liter has been more trouble free.

Our Sonic has the non turbo 1.8l 4 cylinder .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back