Valve Cover Gasket....RockAuto Wrong Part

Status
Not open for further replies.
My valve cover gasket on my Cobalt has been seeping for some time now. Not a dripping leak but enough to make the exhaust manifold get some oil on it and smell. I decided to repair it and ordered a Apex gasket from RockAuto. 15 dollars and good to go. Picture of the item looked correct. Once it arrived me and a friend tore it done to replace the gasket. Turns out it was the wrong gasket from Rock Auto. Part number was correct but the gasket looked nothing like the picture. I had to run to AutoZone and pay 33 dollars for the Felpro gasket.

All is good and the Felpro is sealing great. I did the store credit request online from RockAuto. No problem and explained to them the issue I had. About 3 hours later I get the store credit number for the cost of the part plus shipping. No request from them to return the incorrect gasket. I was impressed with the customer service from RockAuto.

No big deal for me just happy the car is fixed. I wanted to share my experience with RockAuto and their customer service.

I had an experience where they shipped me one correct rotor and one incorrect one.
Customer service was excellent. Full refund including shipping and additional free shipping to send the part back.

Luckily I didn't need the vehicle immediately back into service.
Very happy with the outcome.

Yeah, their warehouse goofed and sent me a rotor 12345 when I ordered 1234. Money refunded and I got to throw the rotor out.

Did you get the part number you ordered?

Yes it was the correct part number that I received but the part itself looked completely different from the pictures and the original part on the car.

I've ordered 25 times from Rock Auto judging from my tool box car magnet collection. All good. Just want to mention they sure know how to ship to Canada with no border BS. You can also toggle the website catalogue to read Canadian Pesos.
08.gif

Last edited:
It's cheaper for them to let you keep the bad gasket because they would have to pay the return shipping since it's a manufacturer problem and not your fault, which isn't worth them doing on such a low-cost item

Similar story with me. Rock sent me 2 wrong Bosch Filters for my Benz OM648 engine. When I asked for refund and return shipping label they just asked me to keep it. I ended up giving to someone who has a Benz with OM642 engine.

I've had quite good luck with RA except one time when a dented oil filter came with a paper which said I couldn't return it if I wanted to. Seriously.

That little episode prompted me to up the value I place on trading locally.

I do a little more shopping locally and with European specialty sites and a little less with RA.

Nothing"harumphy" or grand. I just remind myself that RA isn't the very best place to by parts all the time.

And don't forget the questionable method with which they change warehouses which results in higher shipping costs.

Yup guys sure have had different luck than me. I ordered 6 coil packs for a Santa Fe, to which their website stated two different part numbers, and on different brands, as well. The difference being the back 3 coils had a three wire plug, and the front 3 had a two wire plug. So I ordered as directed. My vehicle had 2 wire coils on all six. So I tried to refund the 3 and order three of the two wire. I had to pay return shipping and restock before they would refund me. Haven't used them since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back