NA vs EU oil spec for 1.6 ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 14 fiesta st specs 5w20 oil. However, in Europe, the same car with the same exact 1.6 ecoboost engine specs 5w30. Does anyone have an opinion on what viscosity would be most beneficial for the engine?

thats typical as in the usa $$$$ rules + manufacturers bow to what is politically correct but WRONG!!

Originally Posted by ppepitoyou
My 14 fiesta st specs 5w20 oil. However, in Europe, the same car with the same exact 1.6 ecoboost engine specs 5w30. Does anyone have an opinion on what viscosity would be most beneficial for the engine?

My Civic is 1.8 R18 and EU spec is 0w30 or 5w30. Im now starting to run M1 0w30 and will top off with 5w30. If your Fiesta ST is the sport model and you drive it hard or plan to modify then I think a 30 wt is the way to go. If you wanted to stay w a 5w20 but wanted something stout try Redline 5w20. Its 3.0 on hths.

welcome2.gif

You may be better off with 5w30, and I would probably do so if I had a turbo car. Also, you may want to use premium instead of regular gasoline.

I put you car in the mobil uk site and it said use 5w20 not 5w30, https://lubes.mobil.com/UK-English-LCW/carengineoils_which-oil.aspx

Same with shell Helix, https://www.shell.com/motorist/find...ZW50L2ZpZXN0YV8xXzZfc3RfdmlfRmF3RWNXRTNt

Both say you can use 5w30 as Alternative recommendations.

In other words the recommended 5W20 is an international standard motor oil for this engine, not shadowy political subterfuge.

Thanks for that. I'm trying to find what I'm talking about but ford EU came out with a service bulletin after the car came out saying to run 5w30 in the engine to lower NVH. However nothing in ford North America says to run 5w30.

5W-20 is a lot better than 5W-30.

5W-20 has a thicker base oil, which results in less engine wear, less VII, which results in less engine and turbocharger deposits, lower Noack, which results in less oil consumption, and lower HTHS, which results in better fuel economy.

You only need 5W-30 if you're regularly driving the car in excess of 85 mph.

Originally Posted by umungus1122
In SoCal I'd use PP 10w-30.

Same here, PP 10W30 is a good oil and will work fine in a warm climate.

Still a quality 5W20 will not let the team down either.

Originally Posted by weasley
Originally Posted by Gokhan
5W-20 has a thicker base oil

Can you explain your thinking here?

Oh No ! ...You have opened Pandora's box

Autobahn

Originally Posted by SR5

It's not my thinking -- it's a fact. Ask any oil blender.

Since a SAE 5W-30 of a given type has more viscosity-index improver (VII) polymer than a SAE 5W-20 of the same type, it needs to have a thinner base oil in order for it to be able to meet the MRV (cold-pumping) and CCS (cold-cranking) specs for SAE 5W.

Originally Posted by SR5

It's not my thinking -- it's a fact. Ask any oil blender.

Since a SAE 5W-30 of a given type has more viscosity-index improver (VII) polymer than a SAE 5W-20 of the same type, it needs to have a thinner base oil in order for it to be able to meet the MRV (cold-pumping) and CCS (cold-cranking) specs for SAE 5W.

Why would they not have the same base oil with the 5w30 containing comparatively more VII? My assumption is that VII don't impact CCS/MRV because they haven't been activated by heat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Why would they not have the same base oil with the 5w30 containing comparatively more VII? My assumption is that VII don't impact CCS/MRV because they haven't been activated by heat.

I just explained it. The VII does raise MRV and CCS, especially MRV.

This the reason why you see in the oil specs for a given product line of oils that the 5W-20 has a lower Noack than the 5W-30, as the 5W-20 has a thicker base oil than the 5W-30.

As BMWTurbodzl mentioned, exploitation conditions.
Speeds in Europe are higher and emission regulations are not driven by CAFE.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

I just explained it. The VII does raise MRV and CCS, especially MRV.

This the reason why you see in the oil specs for a given product line of oils that the 5W-20 has a lower Noack than the 5W-30, as the 5W-20 has a thicker base oil than the 5W-30.

This is correct, but only if base stock is same.
Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 had much lower Noack than any 5W20 product from same company.
But then, products had different applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back