VW508.00 oil change candy, dealer oil change kit w/price and part#s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by madeej11
That seems like a pretty reasonable price for 6 qts. of quality oil and a German made filter and drain plug, especially from a dealership.

I agree. Plus you get a dealership receipt, and purchase record stored in their system.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I used Motul 508/509 purchased online, it is even thinner than factory and a bit rackety being PAO, so I put 300ml of 5w30 Magnetec in..

Engine runs much better and smoother.

That Magnetec is like a magic additive - even in small quantities.

Now why the drain plug change every OC?

Cheap O-ring material ?

VW doesn't do engines well
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Newreet
The VW oil pan is probably a plastic composite as well.
Originally Posted by BucDan
Plastic oil drain plugs?! Wtheck VW.

Correct, it is.

Originally Posted by MParr
That's the beauty of our Tiguan, no belly pan to remove. It's one of the easiest cars that I've ever done oil changes on.

With 8 " of ground clearance, I guess VW figured it wasn't needed on the Tig'. The Passat only has 5.5 ".

Originally Posted by wemay

Correct, it is.

I guess the guys don't know the Ford Coyote 5L is a polymer pan with a polymer drain plug.

2.7 Ecoboost too.

Mild steel is "plastic"

[Linked Image]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjJrH2_Smx4

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Correct, it is.

I guess the guys don't know the Ford Coyote 5L is a polymer pan with a polymer drain plug.

2.7 Ecoboost too.

Mild steel is "plastic"

[Linked Image]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjJrH2_Smx4

interesting video ARCO', thanks.

interesting video ARCO', thanks.

Sorry about that , I didnt watch the video before posting, i just saw the header and teaser.

Not very representative testing.
But the plastic pan should be able to take some road debris hits without rupturing or being deformed and lose capacity or push
the windage tray into the crank.

You think you are going to hit something with your pan?

Two words ....

Skid Plate

Last edited:
Thanks for this write up. Confirms what my dealership told me was a move from Castrol to XX back in October.

Originally Posted by Mario7
Thanks for this write up. Confirms what my dealership told me was a move from Castrol to XX back in October.

thumbsup2.gif

I dig the plastic VW drain plug - I have a tool just for it (vs. a screwdriver than can beak the internal "teeth").

Last edited:
...the oil filter and plug

Thanks for the post. And this is just funny. I said the same thing and posted the same message and told everyone, VW group is moving to Mobil. Everyone went up in smoke! Lol. Thanks for further confirmation

Originally Posted by sloinker
AFAIK Walmart doesn't carry any 504/507 on it's shelves either and it's been around a long time.

You can find the 504.00/507.00 spec oil Walmart.com

Originally Posted by TheIceStormof06
...the oil filter and plug

Thanks for the post. And this is just funny. I said the same thing and posted the same message and told everyone, VW group is moving to Mobil. Everyone went up in smoke! Lol. Thanks for further confirmation

You absolutely did, and I was one of those who gave pushback ....(insert foot in mouth).
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Bottle looks almost exactly like Toyota Genuine Motor Oil bottle. Wonder what the additive pack looks like?

That's a Mobil bottle. I think Mobil supply Toyota as well don't they?

But after changing the oil today, I like how simple and practical it is. You can't over tighten because it has a finite number of turns then clicks into place. It comes off just as easily buy using a simple flathead screwdriver. Along with the filter topside, it makes for a clean oil change.

About the only thing that could put some off is that the engine under-tray needs to come off.

There is actually an inexpensive SST for the drain plug. While a normal flat-head screwdriver works, it does damage the plugs slightly.

https://asttool.com/detail_page.php?from_search=y&tool_number=VW10549&offset=0&stype=advanced&manf=Volkswagen,Audi&category=Oil%20Change%20Products

I keep one in my toolbox for the occasional VW I see.

Originally Posted by madeej11
That seems like a pretty reasonable price for 6 qts. of quality oil and a German made filter and drain plug, especially from a dealership.

I agree. Plus you get a dealership receipt, and purchase record stored in their system.

They won't find your receipt in the system. I have a wholesale account and none of my 3 local dealers (different brands) are ever able to locate my prior purchases...unless I also give them the actual receipt.

Originally Posted by The Critic

But after changing the oil today, I like how simple and practical it is. You can't over tighten because it has a finite number of turns then clicks into place. It comes off just as easily buy using a simple flathead screwdriver. Along with the filter topside, it makes for a clean oil change.

About the only thing that could put some off is that the engine under-tray needs to come off.

There is actually an inexpensive SST for the drain plug. While a normal flat-head screwdriver works, it does damage the plugs slightly.

https://asttool.com/detail_page.php?from_search=y&tool_number=VW10549&offset=0&stype=advanced&manf=Volkswagen,Audi&category=Oil%20Change%20Products

I keep one in my toolbox for the occasional VW I see.

I'm a total tool junkie, but I just can't bring myself to buy this tool. A 1/4" slotted screwdriver fits in there nearly perfectly. Yes, there may be some infinitesimal amount of the damage to the plastic plug, but it would almost all occur during removal--and it's a single use plug. I can't see a reason for that tool besides selling tools.

Originally Posted by JOD

I'm a total tool junkie, but I just can't bring myself to buy this tool. A 1/4" slotted screwdriver fits in there nearly perfectly. Yes, there may be some infinitesimal amount of the damage to the plastic plug, but it would almost all occur during removal--and it's a single use plug. I can't see a reason for that tool besides selling tools.

I haven't tried, but is there any reason why the o-ring cannot be replaced with an OTC o-ring (from your typical HF kit)? I know VW considers it to be a one-time use part, but I think this is due to the o-ring.

If you do that get the viton o rings not the black nitrile. OE is black but viton (available in any color) and the black from HF and most hardware stores are nitrile.
HF does offer metric viton o rings that are green which is more common with EPDM for A/C service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back