Cheap beater tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
My saab beater is badly in need of 2 new tires. The car isn't worth anything, so I don't want to put any real money into the tires. I'm looking for a decent pair of cheap tires that I won't have any problems running year round in Toronto. I bought the car with some no name Chinese tires, Runway Enduro 916+. While they are absolutely awful in the snow, I found them to be more than adequate in the rain and 80% of the conditions I drive in.

Tire size is 235 45 17

Currently I'm looking at some Starfire WR all season tires for 105$ (CAD) each. I hear starfire tires are made by cooper, so I assume they will not be terrible. Although I can not find any reviews online that confirm that.

Any of you guys have experience with this tire? Or have a different cheap tire to recommend?

General Tire has some decent options, they're pretty cheap and are owned by Continental so you know you're getting a good but "discount" product.

IMO, with tires being the only thing between you and the road, I wouldn't cheapen out. No need to splurge, but definitely steer clear of Chinesiums (or as others call them, "Chinapops").

Originally Posted by Wolf359
If you want cheap tires, why not just get some used tires?

^This. Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, Kigigi or whatever they call it up there, and used tire stores.

I feel like people on the Toronto classifieds grossly overvalue their used tires. I occasionally look for used tires on kijiji, but its seems to be just littered with shops spamming their gear, creating a separate post for literally every single size tire and resellers. You'll get people selling half worn Michelin's with a DOT from 2013 for 400$, by the time you get those installed your in it for 500$ and would be better off getting a Chinese tire anyways. As for takeoffs, I look for those too but the only ones I can seem to find in my size are Dunlop Sport Maxx's taken off new subarus. That's not the type of tire im looking for anyways.

Also, 90% people dont post pictures of the tire DOT in the ad, makes it hard to find a tire worth going to look at

Last edited:
Sounds like you answered your own question.
Go to a tire source in person or online and view the cheapest tire you can find in your size.
Then buy them.

You're down in the basement with the dirt and the rats.....pick one.

Originally Posted by Kira
Sounds like you answered your own question.
Go to a tire source in person or online and view the cheapest tire you can find in your size.
Then buy them.

You're down in the basement with the dirt and the rats.....pick one.

Yes, thats the plan...

However, i did not answer my own question

I created this post to see if anyone has had any experience/recommendations for cheap tire brands, because I don't.

E.g Maxxis, GT Radial, Starfire, Antares, Fuzion, Laufenn

Don't get Fuzion, AT ALL, for that cost.

6 years ago, due to the boatload of medical bills, we were living paycheck to paycheck and the mechanic put Fuzion Tourings (195-55/16) without asking me on 2006 Sentra. Not that I knew any better. 2 years and less than 6K in little outskirts of NYC, no problem. Then one day there was a millimeter or two wet snow coating on the road at the time of school pick up, I was going about ~15mph and I was skidding all the way around. Pretty good tread still left but I was scared. Again happened a few times, hydroplaning became an issue, then vouched, I will not touch these tires.

Now, these tires are going about $78 locally + mounting and balancing. For the performance they offer, I will pay $50 max. No idea about the other brands listed.

That seems to be inline with some of the reviews available for the FUzion UHP sport A/S. They cost about 105$ as well, and now I will likely stay away. Thanks

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Consider the Kumho Solus HA31

Seem like a decent tire, bit pricey in Canada at 165$ each.

You are wasting money buying used tires usually, they are not really cheaper. The only reason to buy them is to trade in the car right after.

Personally I found deals online from Walmart / Discount Tire Direct / Tire Rack on close out, then bring them to the local mom and pop to install.

I'm sorry, but the cheapest thing you could possibly do, would be to start over, and buy a better car.

Originally Posted by Speedinsweede

Quattro Tires has them for $142, and there is a 5% off promo code and a $40 rebate
smile.gif

Quattro Tires has them for $142, and there is a 5% off promo code and a $40 rebate
smile.gif

Thats a pretty good deal, If I was buying a set of four tires, I'd likely jump on it

If I was buying a set of four tires, I'd likely jump on it

How are your other 2 tires? Are they basically new, or how much tread is left on them? How long do you think the other 2 would last? If they won't survive past this summer, it may be worth buying 4 now anyway

The other two are in pretty good nick, id say at least 7/32nds. For the past two winters I've swapped out the same pair for snows. I reckon I can get at least another year or two out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back